Ouestion About Any Stipe Cam

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Ouestion About Any Stipe Cam

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:08 pm

A question for anyone who has installed a new Stipe cam. Does a new Stipe cam come with the two dowel pins for locating the large timing gear, installed on the cam, out of the box? I called Steve Lang and apparently he had never opened a new cam's box, so he didn't know. I would suspect Stipe doesn't provide them, but before I ordered them, I thought I'd ask, here. Also, is it necessary to buy the special camshaft nut socket tool that vendors sell to tighten the camshaft nut once the gear is on? The motor I'm working on is a short block, out of a vehicle so working space to turn a wrench is not a problem.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Ouestion About Any Stipe Cam

Post by Moxie26 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:32 pm

Inquire directly at Stipe Manufacturing. They'll answer your question.

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Post by Distagon2 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:05 pm

My 280 cam did come with the dowels, but that was also some years ago. Best advice, call Stipes and ask.

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:44 pm

Distagon2 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:05 pm
My 280 cam did come with the dowels, but that was also some years ago. Best advice, call Stipes and ask.
Well, that's encouraging. Now, I think I have at least a 50-50 chance of having the dowel pins in the cam. I just hadn't opened the package because I wanted to keep it factory sealed until I was ready to install it. Same thing about the small timing gear on a new SCAT crank. I doubt that SCAT installs them from the factory so I have bought a new gear for the crank (which also hasn't been out of the factory sealed box.

slang250
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Lang
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring, 1926 speedster, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 49911
MTFCI Number: 24741

Post by slang250 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:03 pm

Hello Terry,

I'm sorry the confusion over the phone.

I was asking you to double check the cam before you ordered the pins from us because I was pretty sure the cam should have them. I'm sorry If it came over the phone as anything else than that.

Also I can add to what I mentioned on the call about the camshaft nut tightening. When I said that you can use a adjustable wrench if you wanted to tighten the camshaft but instead of getting the special tool but to be careful about damaging the nut I did not get into why you could damage the nut. You will find when using a wrench on the cam nut that the wrench will not be able to be square to the nut because the gear has a slight dish shape to the gear. when the wrench is not square to the nut it will be easier to have the wrench roll off of the edge when tightening it down.

Thank You Steve

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:07 pm

Stipe Cam 2 years ago: the dowel pins were in place
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:46 pm

Hi Terry,
Last I checked cam pins are $1.25 each I try to keep a couple of each new & used on hand all the time. A open end wrench adjustable or
not is not the best option The sockets are kind of pricy but well worth it if you don't have tools to work with. This is the socket I made
for this. One 1 1/8" deep socket ( swap meet or HB set if you don't use that size ) a die grinder & cut off wheel a small piece of 1 1/2"
schedule 80 pipe, bored on the lathe & pressed on in the Hyd. press. Use the old 1/2" impact you almost trough away not the new one.
IMG_2465.jpg
Craig.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 pm

Craig,
Your custom built socket is a creative and affordable way to make one. There are other ways to make a crude one that doesn't require a lathe but might require a welder. I enjoy seeing the different ways to solve problems.
Art Mirtes

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:34 pm

Craig,
Your custom built socket is a creative and affordable way to make one. There are other ways to make a crude one that doesn't require a lathe but might require a welder. I enjoy seeing the different ways to solve problems.
Art Mirtes

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:42 pm

Mine came with the pins. They are necessary to align the cam gear with the cam. It can go on either way because the crank is exactly the same position at 180 degrees.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic