Zenith S4BF Carburetor

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BarnesvilleT
First Name: William
Last Name: Hallada
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Medel T Coupe

Zenith S4BF Carburetor

Post by BarnesvilleT » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 am

I was wondering if anyone has any kind of instructions or directions to dismantle, clean and test
the S4BF. I have cleaned the outside and inside the float but was wondering what I would run into
if I started to take it apart and clean the inside. Also, is there a way to test it after to see if fuel is
getting through it.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Zenith S4BF Carburetor

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:01 am

Assuming the pot metal venturi is intact (which is a bit of a longshot), then separating the top casting from the lower casting may well lead to damage to it. I would not suggest separating them for that reason (plus there is little to be gained in cleaning even if you do). The only reason there would be a benefit to that is if there was no intake screen for the idle circuit. If it's there, then you're good.

If you hook up fuel to it, it WILL fill. I say that because there is every reason to believe that right now the float valve tip has a ring worn in it and the seat is similarly worn. If it runs, it runs. If it sits, it will likely overfill and drip.

They were made to specifically be a FORD accessory carb and as such, SHOULD be jetted for a "T". Unfortunately, Model T's now exist in a myriad of configurations be it cams, high compression heads, etc., and you may find that it is not jetted correctly.

As for adjusting, the jets determine the high speed richness and the little downward pointing knob is the idle adjustment: unscrew it and it leans out, screw it in and it enriches it.

BTW, nearly every S4BF that comes along lacks the correct fuel hook-up. That fitting on the carb takes a 5/16 flare (5/16 copper pipe about 5" long with a Model T specific fuel fitting on the end).
S4BF fuel line adapter - 37 degree flare.png
S4BF with fuel line adapter.png
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

John bevardos
First Name: John
Last Name: bevardos
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster, Coupe, pickup truck, 2-door

Post by John bevardos » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:46 am

Hi Scott,
are you still making the fuel line?

thank you , John
Who's still makes these gaskets, I might be in the market for a solid copper one myself.

Topic author
BarnesvilleT

Post by BarnesvilleT » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:53 am

Scott, Thanks for the info. It was on a stock 1922 engine that was in a '26 Coupe when I bought it.
I am trying to get the '22 engine going with this carb so I am hoping it will still work. I will put fuel into it
and see if it holds or leaks. If I actuate the throttle should fuel come out of the jet at the bottom of the venturi?
Bill

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:32 am

If I actuate the throttle should fuel come out of the jet at the bottom of the venturi?
no

you've been around too many modern carbs! HAHA! Modern carbs have an accelerator pump to "shoot" a blast of fuel into the throttle body when stomping on the gas. This carb has no such feature, nor did any other carbs of this period

while the S4BF is a GREAT accessory carb and adds real pep to any T, your best bet on getting your T going will be with a rebuilt Holley NH carb. Dead simple and 100% adjustable for richness. You might have a great car and a pooped out Zenith and you're never going to get the car running right and will not know if it is engine or carb related. Once your new car is running happily, then swap for the S4BF and see if there isn't a vast improvement in performance (there should be), else you have carb problems

make sense?
Scott Conger

Topic author
BarnesvilleT

Post by BarnesvilleT » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:49 am

Makes complete sense. Thank you again. The excitement of buying a 100 year old car soon
becomes the reality that all you bought was a template. I guess I will have to also buy a new
intake manifold to replace the Zenith one.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:54 am

You're welcome

used manifolds of your vintage are cheap and plentiful...Good NH's are reasonably priced, too. Pay the price for a rebuilt one from the get-go and now you are certain that any trouble you have will be something else and not the carb. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, once you're up and cruising and have mastered driving the thing, you're free to try the Zenith because NOW you know how the car should run and the Zenith should provide for some more badly needed ZIP to it.

now, the next post will be for help handling the bag of snakes that the intake/exhaust manifolds become when replacing gaskets! :lol: It's easy when you know how...just let the forum know when you're ready to do it.
Scott Conger

Topic author
BarnesvilleT

Post by BarnesvilleT » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:18 pm

Thank You. It won't be long!

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:11 pm

John

I haven't made any for about a year and I think I'm out of stock...I'll check

I'm out of stock but may make some this summer
Scott Conger

John bevardos
First Name: John
Last Name: bevardos
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster, Coupe, pickup truck, 2-door

Post by John bevardos » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm

Thank you Scott........bring on summer!!

John
Who's still makes these gaskets, I might be in the market for a solid copper one myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic