Sort of OT-rattle can paint problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Sort of OT-rattle can paint problem

Post by Chris Instness » Mon May 06, 2019 3:06 pm

I recently primed and sanded a coil box lid in preparation for a new coat of black paint. Seconds after the black paint hit the primer it started to react with a cracking and spidering of the paint. I stopped immediately to reduce the amount I now have to sand of. I typically have good results with rattle can paint on small parts but this is also not the first time I have encountered this problem. My question is does anybody know what causes this and how to avoid it in the future? Both the primer and paint were Rust-Oleum products but I believe I have had the same problem with other brands in the past.
Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
20190506_114300.jpg
20190506_114128.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Sort of OT-rattle can paint problem

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 06, 2019 3:15 pm

I have found that when the instructions say to wait 2 days before recoat, a week is a lot safer (regardless of brand). The heavier the prime coat, the longer it takes to cure.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon May 06, 2019 3:24 pm

I use a lot of Rustoleum paint products. They are not nearly as good as they were before government morons forced them to meet senseless demands (any demand that reduces pollutants by 50 percent per volume, but requires three times as much volume to accomplish a task IS senseless!!). Many of their products today are the best value that can be bought in spray can paint.
However. I also bought a can just like the one you show, the "High Performance Enamel". Written by me in big bold felt pen on the can is "LOUSY WRINKLES". I will use it up on things that do not show. I suspect it might be better protection than their other paints. And I don't know what sort of thinners they are using in it. But it does not give a good finish.

Barth_Tool_Co
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Alvord
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Touring

Post by Barth_Tool_Co » Mon May 06, 2019 3:43 pm

I use ALOT of Rustoleum for stuff in my shop and if I can't hit the primer with a top coat within an hour I wait a few days. Same goes for coats of paint over paint... I get wrinkles if I wait too long (over an hour or so) or not long enough (less than a few days). Throw in humidity and temperature and the party is just getting started.
... and my number is Beechwood 4-5789
1926 Touring - "Corrina"

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:40 pm

That's strange. I've not had that kind of reaction. I just did some pieces for a friend's Pontiac Firebird. Bead blasted, cleaned with denatured alcohol, show them with the gray primer (Rustoleum), wiped them down after drying with more denatured alcohol and then used the black. They came out show-car perfect. I also used some of their semi-gloss on a few other pieces and had the same result. I'll be using a lot of the semi-gloss as we are restoring another MG this year. I'll be in the garage later and will be testing a few pieces to see if I can duplicate that reaction. Is your primer red oxide or the gray?
Terry

Roz
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1925 TT, 1927 Speedster, 1931 Model A
MTFCA Number: 31449
MTFCI Number: 24373
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Roz » Mon May 06, 2019 5:04 pm

I have had good luck with the Rust-oleum High Performance Enamel. You have to closely follow the instructions on the can. If it says wait 10 minutes to recoat, watch the time and spray in 10 minutes. If it says wait a few minutes, I usually wait about five. If you can’t recoat in the specified time, you will have to wait at least seven days. If you don’t, it will wrinkle. Temperature matters, too. I usually don’t use primer under it, but if I do, I use the High Performance Primer. I wouldn’t try mixing different products even if they are the same brand.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 pm

A lot has to do with primer-less paints in they use an aggressive solvent of natural organic base. This “junk” is a nightmare. If you require using a spray can, try using a good quality such as Dupli-color etching primer first with very light coats. Let cure for about 2-4 hours and then overcoat with their gloss black or what ever color.

Try staying away from big box paints that state, “no primer needed, or for all surfaces” big red flag to a paint guy. Just like one size fits all.

Ever seen a real fat girl in a 👙 bikini? Where’s the bikini?

Sorry if I left a cranium impression!

All the Best,

Hank

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Mon May 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi Chris. One of the two, primer or top coat, contains something like xylene or toluene, etc which will react with enamel paints. We used to get this interaction if you sprayed Lacquer on an enamel primer. One of the reasons they say to wait for a full dry cycle. I try to stick with the same brand of rattle can paint and primer. I have had good results with ACE Hardware rattle can paints for those misc small parts. So let it dry good, sand it down and use the same brand of primer as the top coat and you should be good. If your not sure, do at test on a piece of scrap metal.

Topic author
Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Post by Chris Instness » Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks to everyone with for the input. It sounds like the types of primer and paint along with letting them cure seem to be the keys points. I'll make some changes and give it another go.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Tue May 07, 2019 12:29 am

Hank,

You are a baaaaad boy! Now I will see that image in my mind every time I see a rattle can. :shock:
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Tue May 07, 2019 6:01 am

As mentioned, follow the directions. I believe they specify recoat within 1 hour (I dont wait that long---maybe 1/2 that), or you have to wait 48 hours. If you try to deviate from this, you are gambling and may have a finish that reacts and wrinkles. Sometimes I have gotten lucky, sometimes not. So I just try and get it all painted at one time, usually waiting 15-30 minutes between coats, then let it dry overnight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic