***1926-1927 Snubbing Units, a Genuine Ford Approved Accessory for Model T***

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

***1926-1927 Snubbing Units, a Genuine Ford Approved Accessory for Model T***

Post by VowellArt » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:23 pm

I promised Jim Mahaffey I wouldn't post these until after his articles on Model T Ford Snubbers for 1926-1927 close cars finished its run in Model T Times (MTFCI semi annual publication), the last issue of that was supposed to hit about January (I think), so I thought I'd go ahead and post these here.

These are a little known item that the Ford Motor Company actually made for the "Improved Car" specifically the Sedan, Coupe and Runabout models, but there was also a rear mounting bracket made for the Touring as well. Now these were only installed at the Dealer at the customers request, for a very obvious reason....they work fine when leaving the dealership, but since they're ALWAYS engaged (unlike transmission bands which are only engaged when depressing one of the pedals, so the glue they used to bind the linings to the band, would get hot, expand and then once parked, they'd cool and the glue would contract and break....after which the bloody things didn't work at all. To fix this, Ford started riveting the linings to the band which solved the problem entirely. I know that Steve Lang has a set of these on one of his cars (a speedster I think) and probably so do other folks too, but nobody knows what is exactly inside one nor how to adjust or set up one onto their car. Which is why Jim Mahaffey had me draw these for his articles. They actually look nice and Jim assures me that they work surprisingly well (riveted ones) and change the driving characteristics of a Model T so much so that the car no longer bounces when hitting a pothole nor pulls to one direction when going over a rough patch of road and they work really well on pavement....unlike hasslers. Hasslers work fine on dirt and gravel roads, but are not really any good on pavement and they absolutely don't dampen road hazards like pothole, bumps, broken or missing pavement (like with an ice heave) either, whereas the snubbers are good for all road conditions and make the Model T perform more like a modern car handling wise. :D

Even though my drawings pretty much tell you everything you need to know to set these up, I still heartily recommend Jims articles in the MTFCI semi annual magazine, Model T Times, because Jim goes into great detail explaining just how to get the best ride out of these and knows more than a few tricks to their proper setup and maintenance as well. The funny thing is, even though these were designed to be used on the 26-27 cars, they can actually be installed on just about any Model T Ford and will work just fine.

This was a fun draw, I pulled my hair out quite a bit trying to understand what he wrote me as to how they worked, but it was fun and something out of the ordinary, I actually got to play graphic artist again. :lol:

FordSnubbingUnits2.jpg
FordSnubbingUnitsInstallation2.jpg
Fun never quits!

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Re: ***1926-1927 Snubbing Units, a Genuine Ford Approved Accessory for Model T***

Post by Jim Eubanks » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:32 pm

What semi annual magazine are you referring to with the MTFCI. I get their magazine and it comes every two months.

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Re: ***1926-1927 Snubbing Units, a Genuine Ford Approved Accessory for Model T***

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:47 am

Thanks for the drawings. I have a set of these snubbers. The drawings are a nice reference. Nice work as usuall
Last edited by dobro1956 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:02 pm

Jim, I am not subscribed to it, so I thought it was a simi annual rag. Bi-monthly huh? Okay I'll make a note of that, thanks. :)
Fun never quits!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic