Moore Auxilury Transmission Help

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
moddamatt
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Lewis

Moore Auxilury Transmission Help

Post by moddamatt » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:09 am

So I went to Chickasha this year for the first time and gotta say even though I could only make it early on friday, it was a really fun experience. I ended up purchasing a Moore Auxilury trans from a couple of guys and need some info one it. I have already found the few forum posts on it I could but I seem to have a "mid" mount model intended for a ton truck.
IMG-9184.jpg
IMG-9184.jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 720 times
As you can see the rear attachment point is simular to the front while all others I've been able to find use normal ford bearing housing,
139708.jpg
Or a heavier cast peice
139709.jpg
Now I am assuming that if I have good luck finding the light car pieces, I can use those to make it work in a car. I have already disassembled it and all the gears and bearing surfaces are perfect, just need a little cleaning and they will be ready to go. My problem is the rear tail section, I have not been able to get it apart.
20230319_095910.jpg
It has a joint on the end that resembles a model Ts universal joint just with out the swivel, its a solid cast piece. I have searched for a possible pin to punch out but theres none, it seems to be on a square portion of the shaft so I can't unscrew it. Does anyone have any recomendations?
Attachments
20230319_093306.jpg

Topic author
moddamatt

Re: Moore Auxilury Transmission Help

Post by moddamatt » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:16 am

Some more pictures of the piece I am trying to remove.
20230319_093318.jpg
20230319_093322.jpg
20230319_093335.jpg
20230319_093346.jpg

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:25 am

Matthew, you purchased this trans from me, and I’ll offer up various theories set forth from others on this trans. The leading suspicion is that it is a car version that originally bolted to the rear end like normal but that has had the front housing from a TT version bolted to the rear of the car version to allow it to be used mid-tube on a TT. However, it appears to me that the TT version uses 6 bolts to hold the end housings on while the car version uses 4 bolts. So, maybe the rear housing on yours is a special piece used to convert a car trans to a TT trans? Alternatively maybe it’s just a year thing or heavy duty/light duty thing.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:13 pm

Matthew, I have taken apart several Moore transmissions over the years to get useable parts. Your Moore has been modified to use a T engine to drive some sort of home made farm equipment, giving two belt speeds and a neutral with out using the T pedals. On the TT equipped Moore, the part that you are having trouble with would have connected to the TT worm coupler, not a T U-joint, and the bracket is for the front Moore attachment to T car driveshaft, in other words a mismatch. Have you tried using a puller or a press to remove the gear and shaft from the housing and U-joint ? That gear looks like it may be modified to be like original front T Moore gear which is keyed to a modified T driveshaft, if so the T U-joint may be modified to two back half’s, with or without a U-joint pin, it is hard to tell from picture.
In any case I probably have enough useable Moore parts to make one Moore that I wood sell for $350 but shipping would be costly. Are you coming to Tulare swap meet next month , I live in Madera Ca. I am not able to currently get around due to medical issues but could have my non T helper look for my Moore parts if you are interested, send me a email threw MTFCA . Best wishes on your Moore project. KM

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:34 pm

Hi Matthew,
I have a input housing for a Rocky Mountain trans that fits a T car tube its missing the end cap. what is the bolt circle on that housing?
Craig.

Topic author
moddamatt

Post by moddamatt » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:52 pm

I'm sorry Craig, can you be more specific? Are you asking about the housing I have in my pictures or the driveshaft ends?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:58 pm

On a rear mounted Moore gearbox, the front cover has 4 bolts on a aquare flange. The rear mounting has 6 bolts because it uses a standard T model drives shaft bearing.

Allan from down under.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:33 am

Hi Matthew,
I'm referring to the end you are having trouble getting the U/joint part out of that appears to be TT shaft size. That
seem to be the rear of your tranny. On a RM its the front that the tube clamps in. I'm thinking you have a adapted set
up and will need to do more adapting to make it work for what you want. I will try to take pics of it tomorrow.
Craig.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic