Factory drawing of two piece valve

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Factory drawing of two piece valve

Post by John E. Guitar » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:34 am

Does anyone have a factory drawing of the two piece valve? Any year would be ok.

I'm putting together an article for our local club magazine and am after the material for the head and stem & also details on how the two are joined.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Factory drawing of two piece valve

Post by TWrenn » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 am

Frankly I would doubt it would exist. Sorry.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:22 am

Check wth THF. It will cost you $7 if they have it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:23 am

I do not have the drawing, but I have experience with the Ford factory drawings, and the Benson Ford Research Center. From my experiece, I would expect a drawing of the stem, with dimensions and material call out, same for the valve top. Another drawing for the assembled valve with final overall size dimension, maybe a callout for how the two pieces are fastened together, but probably not. Each piece will have its own Factory part number, one number for the stem, another for the top, another for the finished valve. The finished valve drawing will show the part numbers for the individual pieces. The drawings when available, willbe from the start of production to end of 1927, and since engines were being made well after car production, valve drawings may go well beyond 1927.

t-time
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bruto
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 speedster 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by t-time » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:29 am

Many factory drawings are available through the Henry Ford Museum. There is a request form on their website.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:14 pm

Here is pic of a two-piece valve ground away to show with a cut-a-way engine display. Shows the steel shaft and the cast iron valve head. Likely heat formed together in perhaps an electrical method. Ford did a lot of electrical welding in many processes.
75244CBC-FAA3-4818-BB69-168A7FA37530.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:32 pm

OR
Screenshot (93).png

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:10 pm

I don't have any way of knowing this for certain? However, I suspect that the heads were poured/cast directly onto the stems. This based upon several broken heads I have examined closely, differences and details in the ends of stems to hold them in place, and how far into or nearly through the heads the stems reach. I have seen a few where the top end of the stem can be seen on the top of the valve's head, however, most do not reach that far. Just some consideration?

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:51 pm

Cast iron has a very high expansion/contraction from molten to solid. More than steel. I'm guessing that casting the head around the stem would result in a very tight metal to metal shrink fit between the two. If the stem was threaded, grooved, etc, the head would stay on for a while even if the fit between it and the stem failed. "Chilled iron" can be made very hard, and might make a better valve head than many would think.

A lot of old implement wheels and some tractor wheels had steel spokes cast into the hubs and inserted into holes in a steel tire or rim and bradded over.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:19 pm

John: A cursory search turned up some patents, and while none of the early patents are Ford, considerable two-piece valve manufacturing technology is described. I was surprised to learn that two-piece valves are still being used in some applications today, and some recent patents have been issued.

Here's the link which lists 17 patents, "Method of making a two-piece valve", from 1910-1991. The list is near the bottom of the page and is searchable.
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO1994019143A1/en

Ford's valve patent in 1928 is included in the list: https://patents.google.com/patent/US1772482A/en

Topic author
John E. Guitar

Post by John E. Guitar » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 pm

I contacted the Benson Ford Research Centre and they have drawings which I'll buy. They are $30 per drawing.

I've cut a valve in half, linished and acid etched it and it looks like the head is poured onto the stem, which has either a thread or series of grooves which deform under the heat of the pour.

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. There's a lot of great knowledge on this forum.

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:47 am

This is what I find :
I don't know or it is a thread like a bolt , or just grooves ?
001.JPG
002.JPG
Toon

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:31 am

I have removed some in pieces that looked like the stem was mushroom then poured around it.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:24 am

Someplace I read those two holes in the top were not there to lap the valve for a good seat.

They were there to firmly attach the head on the stem with a hard hammer hitting a punch in each hole.

Most likely two punches worked together with one hammer blow.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:00 pm

I find that hard to believe, first off, the head is cast iron, smack that and it breaks like a biscuit, and second, those holes have been in valves of many makes for the lapping tool right up into the 70's.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:58 pm

Large tractor wheel hubs were made like that for early agricultural machines, such as the steam thresher engines. There is at least one video on Youtube of them building a casting mold, wherein the pattern for the hub is rammed up in the sand, and then the pattern is removed, and the steel spokes are inserted into the hub casting area, and then the mold it filled with cast iron. The result is integral spokes that are locked into the hub when the hub is cast.

I have the cylinder drawing for my 1926 Franklin. When they started putting cooling fins on the cylinders when they cast them, they originally put in cooling fins stamped from steel sheet, then placed in the cylinder mold, and when the cast iron cylinder was poured, the cooling fins were physically trapped in the cylinder casting. By 1925, they had moved to copper cooling fins, and these were also placed in a mold fixture (probably some kind of plaster) and the cast iron was poured into the mold, trapping the cooling fins right in the cylinder casting. I would have thought that the copper would have been damaged by the cast iron, but apparently the heat dissipation and the length of time involved kept this from happening. The copper fins only protrude into the cast iron section for 1/8" or so in depth.

Those guys back then were very highly skilled when it came to castings. They don't get enough credit for the different things they accomplished, but they did indeed accomplish them. Franklin's ability to reliably cast cylinders with integral copper fins may have been the reason their engines were a success, and the "Copper-cooled" Chevrolets were a failure. I have heard that Chevy had problems with their copper fins during engine manufacture, but I don't know the details. It should also be noted that Franklin had a larger engineering staff per capita than even General Motors. They believed in engineering, and the #2 man in the company, John Wilkinson, was an engineer.

OilyBill
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:59 pm

Large tractor wheel hubs were made like that for early agricultural machines, such as the steam thresher engines. There is at least one video on Youtube of them building a casting mold, wherein the pattern for the hub is rammed up in the sand, and then the pattern is removed, and the steel spokes are inserted into the hub casting area, and then the mold it filled with cast iron. The result is integral spokes that are locked into the hub when the hub is cast.

I have the cylinder drawing for my 1926 Franklin. When they started putting cooling fins on the cylinders when they cast them, they originally put in cooling fins stamped from steel sheet, then placed in the cylinder mold, and when the cast iron cylinder was poured, the cooling fins were physically trapped in the cylinder casting. By 1925, they had moved to copper cooling fins, and these were also placed in a mold fixture (probably some kind of plaster) and the cast iron was poured into the mold, trapping the cooling fins right in the cylinder casting. I would have thought that the copper would have been damaged by the cast iron, but apparently the heat dissipation and the length of time involved kept this from happening. The copper fins only protrude into the cast iron section for 1/8" or so in depth.

Those guys back then were very highly skilled when it came to castings. They don't get enough credit for the different things they accomplished, but they did indeed accomplish them. Franklin's ability to reliably cast cylinders with integral copper fins may have been the reason their engines were a success, and the "Copper-cooled" Chevrolets were a failure. I have heard that Chevy had problems with their copper fins during engine manufacture, but I don't know the details. It should also be noted that Franklin had a larger engineering staff per capita than even General Motors. They believed in engineering, and the #2 man in the company, John Wilkinson, was an engineer.

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:58 am

William,
In the 1970's I worked for a collector who had a 1912 Franklin, This car had a rough life, and eventually one of the cylinders developed a crack from the exhaust valve to the spark plug hole.
I was given the job of finding someone to weld the crack up.
Lots of welders would not do the job because the fins were copper imbedded into the cast iron cylinder..
I eventually found a guy who did weld it successfully. He ground out the fins away from the crack, and welded the the cylinder and the spark plug plug hole up,
We then machined the spark plug hole and tapped the thread and milled slots back in to the cast iron and made copper fins which we inserted into the slots. I then put the outer steel sleeve back over the fins on the Franklin cylinder, as far as I know it is still working though I believe the owner now has had to build a new wooden chassis as it has broken.
So Franklin was obviously using copper for the fins way before 1925.

Will_Vanderburg
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:24 pm

I broke a two piece valve in half in my car. The two pieces were screwed together
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Topic author
John E. Guitar

Post by John E. Guitar » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:52 pm

I received valve drawings from the Benson Ford Research Center. These are dated 15th January 1927.

The valve stem is cold drawn steel Type EE and the valve head is Cast Iron Grade B.

Only the stem has rolled grooves, 18 per inch for 5/8". The two items are electric welded together.

The chart is from Shop Theory - Henry Ford Trade School 1943 edition. This book is on archive.org.

Steel Analysis.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic