Model T Snowmobile Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Boaski
First Name: Todd
Last Name: Retterer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring
MTFCA Number: 53040

Model T Snowmobile Question

Post by Boaski » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:13 pm

I'm looking for some input and advice regarding how realistic an idea I have is.

Here is a little background information: I'm looking at retiring in about 5 years and we'll probably be downsizing shortly thereafter (or so I've been told...). My main hobbies have been vintage and antique snowmobiles as well as some old tractors & a few old cars & trucks. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents in my younger days traveling around in their Models A's to various meets.

I've always had the desire to own a Model T snowmobile. A couple years ago I ran into some people from the northeast Ohio Model T group at a local hotel & that got me thinking about owning a T to putt around the back roads. My only experience with a T is a doodlebug tractor I picked up a few years ago.

My thought is to find a "driver grade" T touring. My guess is somewhere in the 1923 to 1925 range as I would like electric start as well as wood spoke wheels. After acquiring the car I would like to either make or buy the stuff to do a snowmobile conversion for the winter.

Here are a few questions:

I do not see many T touring snowmobiles during my internet searches. Are they a poor starting point?

How long does it take to switch back and forth between the winter set up and regular summer set up?

Will these fit in a 7' wide enclosed trailer?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Model T Snowmobile Question

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Plenty of folks will give T advice, so let me give you some "retirement" advice...if it's the missus telling you you're going to downsize, well, you need to do what it takes to keep her happy...otherwise, let me suggest that making a big change (just for the sake of change) after retirement is not always the path to contentment as retirement in and of itself is a huge step on it's own.

As far as "downsizing", I went from a 40' x 100' urban lot with a 2 Model T garage, to a ranch and a very large barn...believe me, there was no downsizing, and no regrets at all. Going urban to rural WAS a big change, but it was a change that was 4 years in the making and didn't happen a day after I retired, so I did not view it as a change per-se, but culmination of a lot of planning for the next phase of my life.

I myself look forward to the "T" advice you are going to get and will follow along closely.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Steve King
First Name: Steve
Last Name: King
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 25 Coupe, , 26 Touring, 22 Aluminum Fordor, 23 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Steve King » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Screenshot_20230327-194646_Gallery.jpg
I built this Model A Ford Super Snowbird. My friend Joe Reid is finishing a nice pickup sled too. We agree there are too many chassis modifications to make it practical to take the kit on and off with the change in seasons. T's commonly use a TT rear end to have enough power to twist tracks and pull itself through the snow. These A's are geared down to 8.22 to 1 with 40hp. I have tracks, skis, springs, TT Ruckstell and misc. I plan to build one myself someday. It lengthens the car hobby season taking these Model A's to vintage snowmobile shows and lots of fun too. Our kits are 1930's Arps made in New Holestein, Wisconsin. Good luck!

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:23 am

Well this setup was recently found stashed in a Barn in Virginia city Nv and I mated with a TT added the missing pieces I had kicking around
blast to biuld and real kick to drive
So far I get it swapped in a good day and just run the extra wheel
Attachments
23440.jpeg

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 am

Todd,
A Model T snowmobile has the rear drive wheels cantilevered behind the frame, usually the rear axle is from a TT ton truck for a better gear ratio, and the idler wheels are forward of the original model T rear wheel position. I believe the touring body is too wide to accommodate the idler wheels. The original White made snowmobiles were bult on a runabout body which is narrower behind the front seat area and can fit an idler wheel without modification.

Converting from a standard model T configuration to a snowmobile for winter, then converting back in the summer is going to be impractical, as there are a lot of hardware changes that need to be done. Removing the track and driving it around as a 6 wheel car, well you could, but the TT rear end is going to limit your driving speed to 25 mph.

The NHSNOCAR site has a lot of information so you can get a good idea what all the parts and pieces look like and how much new parts cost.

Snowmobiles have 2 common widths, a narrow width to be compatible with sled and sleigh ruts, and the standard T width. Both should fit fine on a trailer as a T is narrow to begin with.

Nv Bob

Post by Nv Bob » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:23 pm

I uses a TT chassis this way to conversion less
Remove tracks and swap spindles
Yes I have front wheels pre mounted on the spindles so make life easier
Rear wheels are stock T fellows with TT hubs and brake drums custom spokes
Attachments
20639.jpeg

Topic author
Boaski

Post by Boaski » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. Even though I had hoped for a different answer, I'm glad to have some real input on what I was thinking of doing. I had hoped that the "T touring snowmobile" idea would scratch a couple itch's, but that doesn't sound like a realistic option. I'm glad to know that now rather than when I'm part way through the project.

I'm not sure that a Model T snowmobile on its own makes much sense for me. Living in north-central Ohio means that I already have to travel a good bit each winter to get to at least one vintage snowmobile event to meet up with the group of us that collect Boa Ski snowmobiles. Last winter we had about one day that I could get the sleds out to ride around home.

I still haven't ruled out a T touring though.

Steve King
First Name: Steve
Last Name: King
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 25 Coupe, , 26 Touring, 22 Aluminum Fordor, 23 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Steve King » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 am

Screenshot_20230329-085748_Gallery.jpg
Todd, Even in Central Wisconsin our snow conditions are fickle at times. Our snowmobile trails don't even open very much anymore. If you want to build one, build it to stay as a sled unless you don't have the storage. They are nothing but toys. We take these to summer car shows at times too. If you build a sled with a TT rear end you won't want to go that slow taking the kit off for summer use. If you use a regular rear end you won't ever get out of low gear. The other thing is how much do you want invested in it and what donor car is appropriate. I just bought a 25 coupe very reasonable and had ideas of putting a kit on that, but the car is too nice to get limited use from it as a sled. Couldn't bring myself to do it. You need a cheap chassis that won't hurt your feelings to use. The A I built from scratch and looks nicer in the pics than it is. It would have taken a lot to restore it for a nice summer pickup.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:35 am

Back in the day I don’t think they were changed out that much. My dad ( born 1915) told as a kid in Mass a local doctor had one in his garage that stayed as Snowmobile year round. That was late 20s to early 30s.

Nv Bob

Post by Nv Bob » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:09 pm

Good idea or not living in the high desert of Nevada
I had biuld it once I found it but I've been told they work in dirt to we see this summer

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:43 pm

Todd,

I sent you an email.

If you had storage space, It would be easier to have two vehicles and only one engine and swap the engine back and forth.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:47 pm

Todd,

I sent you an email.

If you had storage space, It would be easier to have two vehicles and only one engine and swap the engine back and forth.

You still need lots of space to store the "other" rear end and drive shaft assembly, plus center axle, if you are going to switch out the snowmbile parts.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Topic author
Boaski

Post by Boaski » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:43 pm

Nv Bob wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:09 pm
Good idea or not living in the high desert of Nevada
I had biuld it once I found it but I've been told they work in dirt to we see this summer
There must be snow somewhere in Nevada as I see vintage snowmobiles pop up for sale from there.
tom_strickling wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:43 pm
Todd,

I sent you an email.

Thanks, Tom. It's great to know there's one this close to me. I look forward to stopping by to see you. Right now I have space, or I should have space but I've found that over time your stuff tends to expand to fill 110% of the available floor space.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic