Old photos of mother in law roadsters

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Old photos of mother in law roadsters

Post by Herb Iffrig » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 pm

model T roadster.JPG
Model  T mother in law seat roadster.JPG

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Re: Old photos of mother in law roadsters

Post by Distagon2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:24 pm

So let's see if I am getting any better at early brass car identification. I say the top photo is 1911-early 1912. Am I close?

Attached are some quick and dirty photoshop corrections of those great pictures.
Attachments
model T roadster (1).JPG
Model  T mother in law seat roadster.JPG

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:32 pm

How do you do that, Herb? You took a faded picture and made it look like new.
Norm

Distagon2
First Name: Gregory
Last Name: Jones
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1912 Commercial Roadster
MTFCA Number: 10114

Post by Distagon2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm

I used Photoshop. These pictures interest me since I am working on a 1912 Commercial Roadster with the mother-in-law seat. I have been a photographer since I was 14 (I am 67 now) and have spent hours and hours in darkrooms, etc. I know the "old school" photography well including the chemistry. What happens to these old photos is that the image may fade due to improper fixing (dissolving of silver salts in sodium hyposulfite) or incomplete washing of the print after the fixing process. Photoshop is a God-send when you have to restore old, damaged photos. You can use the pre-sets in the software to 'Enhance Image" and then "Sharpen." I also changed the color cast using this software to look more normal as a black and white print.

While I have plenty of digital cameras, I don't enjoy them as much as my old mechanical Leicas and Hasselblads. Something about the old feeling of using film and the magical chemistry that goes with it. Yes, digital is far more convenient and by far more economical, but I cling to my old film cameras and use them once in a while. Probably for the same reason I still have two Model T's. For just getting around, I drive my 2021 vehicle but for a thrill, I use the old obsolete iron.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic