Should I hot rod it?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Gen3AntiqueAuto
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Foye
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Fordor, 15 speedster (2), 23 touring, 26 fordor, 25 TT
MTFCA Number: 292
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 106
Board Member Since: 1999

Should I hot rod it?

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:54 pm

So I hurt my back and I'm down for a bit - so I grabbed the laptop and edited the last of the footage I took pre-tweak.

Here it is for those interested: https://youtu.be/CM5FpQOzr4Q

It's two parts - skip what you don't like.

In the video I discuss options on what I could do to the fordor. I can't sell it as is cause something inside is clearly not right and I can't move my problems to someone else, it's just not the right thing to do. I also started on converting a boat anchor back into a T transmission for the 27 engine that no one wants to buy from me. That's going to involve something I have not tried on the channel yet so you might want to watch the review I plan on making when I'm able (soon).

For those hopping up out of their chair over the words "hot rod" - I have some motor restoration juice here I am planning on trying as soon as I can stand up straight and walk again. If that fixes it I won't have to tear it down.
Gen III Antique Auto - we do Model T Ford Restorations

You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want -Zig Z.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeROBg ... pB-KImprjw

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Should I hot rod it?

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:06 pm

you could sell it with the admonition that there is something wrong with it, it doesn't run right and you won't fix it yourself (add your reason here).
It's not like you're foisting something onto someone who has been duped, and you'll join the ranks of millions and millions of sellers who sold a bum auto to get out from under it. There's no shame or guilt in that.

You mentioned on another thread that the thought of tearing into the transmission to fix it was an idea too terrible to contemplate, so I am not sure how doing something ELSE with it would be easier to contemplate. But that's just me, and I'm not you, so there's really no telling what is going on.

Best of luck ridding yourself of the problem one way or another.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:29 pm

I believe that all used cars are sold as-is-where-is.
Decribe the car honestly, and let the buyer beware.

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:11 am

I think your car is telling you it wants its original heart back. For 60 years my T has been the most reliable car in the fleet LOL good luck

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:05 am

I am confused Tim? You built that engine and transmission for that car yourself. You documented the build piece by piece on the internet.By all accounts you know it intimately? You have another engine and transmission you are rebuilding? Why are you constantly making videos and seeking other folks opinions when you would already have more knowledge than them? You would already know that to fix it you need to get it out, open it up and have a look! The very idea that you would post a link to a video here that you are considering wrecking, hotrodding or parting it out is a bit offensive to the members that participate here. Please clarify.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:44 am

If you don't want the car, then pass it off o someone who does. You said "n the video I discuss options on what I could do to the fordor. I can't sell it as is cause something inside is clearly not right and I can't move my problems to someone else, it's just not the right thing to do." The RIGHT thing would be to pass it along to someone who will figure out what the problem is, fix it, and drive it... not just say "If I can' t fix it it can't be fixed, so I'll hot rod it"...

Pulling the motor, pulling the transmission and figuring out what's going wrong with it - is a weekend job.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:55 am

Do as Susanne says:
Post an add stating something like this.
26 Model T fordor for sale. Needs work. Good solid body, engine needs repairs. I need to move on to other projects. Prefer to sell to Model T hobbyist. Thanks. “””””

MOVE ON from the car and focus on the other cars you have. It’s not a big deal to let it go. Lots of other people have done the same thing and moved on to something else. You’ll be glad you did. Yes this is the right thing to do.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:18 am

man you don't seem motivated. I don't know how else to describe it. Get one thing in your head and go with it. I'd start with that yard sale you mentioned.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:53 pm

It takes 3 hours to completely remove a T engine from a Fordor Sedan.

It takes 6 hours to install an engine and completely put everything back together (steering, radiator, starter, wishbone, axle connections, & initial adjustment).

Once you get the engine on the stand; Removing and disassembling the trans and diagnosis is about an hour and a half.

Amount of time to repair depends on diagnosis.

(It’s fairly likely the issue is a cracked or broken driven gear sleeve on the brake drum. I’ve encountered a half dozen of them in 20 years and the symptoms are similar. AND all but one was ‘26-‘27. There's a couple reasons it happens mainly only on improved cars but I won’t elaborate (One was found a couple years ago just about ready to fail on a NEW cast iron drum that was in operation several years (new drum, old shaft that was probably sold complete a decade earlier to a previous owner on an “exchange” basis))).

There is probably an 8 hour day worth of cleaning all the silver goo out of the engine and trans too.

So, probably about 30 hours should cover everything that needs to be done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic