Camping with the 27 touring --- video and few photos

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Camping with the 27 touring --- video and few photos

Post by dobro1956 » Mon May 22, 2023 11:57 pm

We finally had time to take a couple days camping trip with the T and the vintage camping gear. We were planning on 3 days and two nights but due to rain we only had two days and one night, but we still had a nice trip. The area we were camping at is on private land that adjourns the Buffalo National River in Arkansas and also has almost 2 miles of the old Missouri and North Arkansas railroad right of way thru it. It is a railroad that was started in 1880 and ran under various names till it was removed right after WW2 in 1946. It ran from Joplin Mo. to Helena Ar. thru the Ozark mountains of Missouri and Arkansas as well as the Delta lands of Arkansas. The area just overflows with history and beauty. We have a YouTube video on our "Model T Camp and Adventures" channel. We are new to the YouTube thing but are getting a little better as we make each video. Ill post a link to the video. It is almost impossible to show how steep some of the areas are getting to the old railroad right of way and the camp site we use. There are several places we had to use low pedal and low Warford when climbing the hills. Most of the road was pretty good and the railroad right of ways was an easy grade. But climbing back out of the "creek bottom" that the railroad follows was a different story. But the T never missed a beat and the skinny little tires neve spun one time on the loose gravel. Again, the videos do not show the steepness very good. You can listen to the engine and tell when the climb was steepest. We do not plan on monetizing our channel. We do it just for the fun of it. Our next learning project is to do better audio. Any comments on the video are welcome. "Subscribe" or "Like" is also welcome to keep us motivated. Please be nice, we are just learning :)

Here is the link to the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_l_TLcT00k

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (5).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (6) (Large).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (4).JPG
Last edited by dobro1956 on Wed May 24, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Re: Camping with the 27 touring

Post by FreighTer Jim » Tue May 23, 2023 3:01 am

Good For You !

Thanks for posting

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 23, 2023 10:29 am

Well done! I like the way you handled the through-the-windshield shots. A series of short ones connected with cross fades is more interesting than one long view. I noticed one camera position I haven't used, but will now that you've reminded me of it. This video demonstrates that a camera crew of two can get some shots that one person alone can't do. Being an old bachelor, I think I will try to get one of the cousins to ride along on a trip and be a video helper.

Old railroad beds are often good roads for Model T driving. You won't find a steep one. They were laid out to keep the grades as gradual and close to level as possible, and if that required twisting all around Robin Hood's barn, they twisted.

That type of tent is what Dad bought at Sears right after the war, though it looks like lighter material. No poles were available yet, so Dad made some from ½" pipe. I have no memory of watching him set it up, but Mom later recalled that it was quite a show as he struggled inside trying to screw the pieces together, with his blue commentary adding to the entertainment.

I have to ask: Is there something you do to keep your channel from being infested by commercials? If there is a way, I want to use it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:44 am

Steve, Yes it is easier to do with Kathy helping, and she can open the gates. :) I find it's hard to remember to do certain things. For example when I drove over the camera I should have drove over the camera and then had Kathy move the camera, then backed up till I would be behind where the camera was and then had Kathy put the camera back exactly where it was, but facing the other way and then drove over the camera again capturing an exit shot of the car after going over the camera the second time. This long description I just mentioned brings up another thought. Our videos need to be 15 minutes or less, as that is our limit set by YouTube till we become "verified". This video is just a few seconds shy of of 15 minutes. To get that 15 minutes we used 61 separate videos we made. They were all in length of about a minute to as much as 15 minutes long each. There was about 3 to maybe 4 hours of total footage to get the 15 minutes we actually used. As to commercials, I'm not sure. I think the commercials become more of an issue when a person monetized the channel. If a person buys "YouTube Premium" there are no ads in anything you watch. Most of the monetized channels want ads. That is one of the ways they get paid. We have seen ads on our videos but they have always been just before the video starts. So far we have not had YouTube insert any ads into our videos. That may be how they do un-monitized channels ?????? Our next learning curve is audio and how to talk to that "stuck up" camera. It's hard for me to have a conversation with something that does not interact with me. It just sits there, and never says anything ... :)

Topic author
dobro1956

Re: Camping with the 27 touring --- video and few photos

Post by dobro1956 » Sat May 27, 2023 7:48 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic