What should I look for?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

What should I look for?

Post by colonelpowers » Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 pm

I am going in a few days to check out an old t that a guy pulled out of a barn. I am thinking about buying it but since it is pretty modified I wanted to ask what I should be looking at specifically and what might be red flags. The car was apparently built pretty early and was raced back in the day. I have heard it run and it sounds like it has a modified cam. It has a high compression head, oil pump mounted where generator was, don't know what has been done in the engine. It has an aftermarket transmission and it looks like the stock transmission has had low gear and reverse removed and now just functions as a clutch for the other trans. I know nothing about anything that is not stock (and just know enough about stock to get myself into trouble). I am interested in the car but don't want to get into something that I will regret. I wish there was more that I could tell about it but the old guy doesn't know about Ts and I haven't seen it in person yet, just a couple pictures and I did hear it run. If you have any pointers of things on a car like this to be looking for please let me know.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Re: What should I look for?

Post by Craig Leach » Mon May 29, 2023 10:52 pm

Hi Joshua,
Sounds like the car is a wildcard. Was it built as a race car as in one seat racer body or just a fast car. Does the Aux. trans have reverse in it?
Most important is what are you looking for? A tour car or a racer or parts for the collection. The clutch & trans brake set up is not uncomon
See Hank Lees ad " Gentalmans speedster" If it's just a good deal & you are between it & the scrappers. Let your conscience be your giude.
If you deside to back away let people know it maybe what someone else is looking for.
Craig.

Topic author
colonelpowers

Post by colonelpowers » Mon May 29, 2023 11:36 pm

I wish I knew more about it to tell you. He did say that the transmission is a muncie. He only ran it for a minute and has no idea about the condition of the transmission. It is a stripped down racer; open wheels, nothing for comfort, it looks to be lowered as well. I thought about doing a little sympathetic work and building more of a speedster out of it but nothing to take away from its history. I am a little fearful because I just don't know what exactly was modified internally or how expensive repairing a non stock car like this would be. It does have some type of early aftermarket wire wheels, I think that they are 18 inch. Also, if I decided to sell it later is there any market for old racers? I know that the individual speed parts are reasonably valuable but I don't think that I could part out something that has managed to survive so long stored away and untouched. Maybe it was a winning car back in the day; no one is probably alive that remembers it racing.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 30, 2023 12:18 am

I am always skeptical of cars described as such. If you discussed a price better bring 1 or better 2 other people with you. It could be a scam. You assume you heard it but you weren't next to it. If it is ligit and some kind of racer I would not modify it with a Syverson style speedster. It is likely more valuable in ts present configuraton. If you have picture you can post them in the discussion for identification.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
colonelpowers

Post by colonelpowers » Tue May 30, 2023 12:37 am

I am going to see it on Thursday and I will try to get some good photos of it then.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue May 30, 2023 1:06 am

Note that anything which is not stock might be hard to repair or replace. If it runs you can drive it as is, but it might be a good idea to try to find a stock engine and transmission and start rebuilding so that sometime in the future you can replace in your present car or possibly another. They tend to multiply like rabbits, so this might not be your first Model T. Show us some pictures of the body, and engine, transmission etc.
Norm

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue May 30, 2023 2:32 am

Hi Joshua,
A Muncie should have a reverse. The bearings & bushings are available for them. Aftermarket wire wheels you need to look close at the spoke
ends & nipples for rust & cracks. Some period lowering is sketchy. If it wasn't all the way across the country it would have my intrest peeked.
Craig.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic