Using composite Coil Box rebuild kit from Langs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
IanMacLeod
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Chartier

Using composite Coil Box rebuild kit from Langs

Post by IanMacLeod » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:32 pm

Good evening friends. We have a '15 T 3 door touring that I am rebuilding the box that holds the 4 coil boxes. I got the composite kit from langs. The 10 posts that screw in all have threads leading upto the squared head of the bolt. The composite back has predrilled round holes. With a wood back, I've been told that the pressure when tightening will have some give and the square bolt will ease into the round hole. Do I have to do anything special for the composite? drill hole bigger? Will tightening allow the squared head to "fit" into the round hole without modification? Should I use a blue torch to heat the hole(s) briefly to soften the edges to allow a tightening up? Help, suggestions, what did you do that works? Thanks! C

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Using composite Coil Box rebuild kit from Langs

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:51 pm

Chris

simply drawing the bolt in may possibly damage the porcelain tubes

use a small metal stump that fits into the recess and use it along with a vice or press. With the plastic fully supported around the outside, press the bolts home and they will force the plastic to flow and make a nice tight square hole. A small diameter deep-well socket is perfect for this as it will allow the bolt some place to go and will support the plastic very close to where it is being smooshed.

Take this opportunity NOW to sweat-solder your contacts to the underside of the head, allow to cool, clean flux off (use RMA mildly activated rosin flux, not acid!). Now you're ready to press things into place, using care to align the contacts before pressing.

Good solder flow:
P5170043.JPG
Fiberglass tape to insulate wire from bottom of box (your wire will likely lay in a different slot, but for your sake, be sure to use the tape to avoid a future short):
P1290170.JPG
FWIW, it was a good choice to chose the plastic kit over the wood kit. The increase in reliability far exceeds any perceived downside of using non-original materials...no one wants to be stranded in a downpour.

Welcome to the affliction!
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Bill Anziani
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Anziani
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe

Post by Bill Anziani » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:56 pm

When I did mine, I did not use any heat or re-drill any holes
The square end did suck into the composite and secures the bolts

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:49 pm

If you can salvage the original contacts, do so.
The repop contacts are historically to soft.
They will loose their tension & cause contact grief in the future.
Clean em up real good and solder the bolt heads as recommended.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:40 pm

Reusing the original phosphor bronze coil box contacts is the best way to go electrically.

slang250
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Lang
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring, 1926 speedster, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 49911
MTFCI Number: 24741

Post by slang250 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:56 pm

Phosphor bronze contacts are being reproduced that are just as good as the originals. They have the split bifurcated contacts as the originals as well with the correct spring temper to them.

John Regan started to make them 15 or so years ago to the original print and they can still be bought now.

The contacts that you have to stay away from are the copper ones.

There are still copper ones out there that do not have any spring tension to them and do not have the split bifurcated contact to them that are giving all of the reproduction contacts a bad name.

slang250
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Lang
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring, 1926 speedster, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 49911
MTFCI Number: 24741

Post by slang250 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:16 pm

Also to answer the original poster I like to tap the bolts into the plastic with a hammer and punch and having the plastic supported on the backside by some sort of pipe or like Scott described a socket to keep the plastic from possibly breaking. Make sure to have the square of the bolt head line up with the square that is cut into the contacts.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:35 pm

slang250 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:56 pm
Phosphor bronze contacts are being reproduced that are just as good as the originals. They have the split bifurcated contacts as the originals as well with the correct spring temper to them.

John Regan started to make them 15 or so years ago to the original print and they can still be bought now.

The contacts that you have to stay away from are the copper ones.

There are still copper ones out there that do not have any spring tension to them and do not have the split bifurcated contact to them that are giving all of the reproduction contacts a bad name.
Thanks for the clarification.
Good to know there are good contacts available today.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:09 am

The kit is a really nice piece of work. I have fitted quite a few of them over the years. There is one area which can cause some frustration though. The slit in the bottom of the back panel that goes over the folded lip in the base of the case does not allow the panel sit as low as it might due to the radius of the bend in the sheet metal of the base. This results in the screw holes in the black panel not aligning with the holes in the tin case. I cut the bottom inside edge of the back panel back a bit so the outside edge can drop a little lower, and the screw holes will align.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
IanMacLeod

Post by IanMacLeod » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:38 am

Thank you for all your help and photos in this little project. I have accomplished "squaring the holes" and will reattached them after a good cleaning this afternoon. I have another question regarding the soldering...I haven't done much of that, so please give me a little insight... I assume that I'll solder the heads etc, after installation of threaded rods onto the new composite back board & ive tightened them, right? Then I use the soldering iron to heat up the head & when it's hot enough , ill apply the solder around the head & it'll suck it in? then let cool? Thanks for your useful comments and help! Chris

Topic author
IanMacLeod

Post by IanMacLeod » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:41 am

Scott_Conger wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:51 pm
Scott, thank you! Do I do the soldering after I've reattached the bolts & insulators & tightened? Then heat head & apply solder to side & it'll suck the solder in? Thanks for your help. C

Chris

use a small metal stump that fits into the recess and use it along with a vice or press. With the plastic fully supported around the outside, press the bolts home and they will force the plastic to flow and make a nice tight square hole. A small diameter deep-well socket is perfect for this as it will allow the bolt some place to go and will support the plastic very close to where it is being smooshed.

Take this opportunity NOW to sweat-solder your contacts to the underside of the head, allow to cool, clean flux off (use RMA mildly activated rosin flux, not acid!). Now you're ready to press things into place, using care to align the contacts before pressing.

Good solder flow: P5170043.JPG

Fiberglass tape to insulate wire from bottom of box (your wire will likely lay in a different slot, but for your sake, be sure to use the tape to avoid a future short): P1290170.JPG

FWIW, it was a good choice to chose the plastic kit over the wood kit. The increase in reliability far exceeds any perceived downside of using non-original materials...no one wants to be stranded in a downpour.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:07 am

Chris

don't solder the contacts after installation...the bolts will take enough heat that the plastic may go soft.

EVERYTHING MUST BE CLEANCLEANCLEAN!!!
drill a hole in a piece of wood to fit the bolt
flux and solder the underside of the bolt head then shake off the solder
flux the tab
install bolt through tab and place on wood block
apply iron to corner of bolt and tab...solder should flow from below to make a nice silver ring around bolt head with no extra solder. If using an iron, be sure a small amount of solder is on the tip to make a thermal "bridge" from the iron to the part or it will take forever to get things to flow. A SOLDER BRIDGE IS A MANDATORY TECHNIQUE FOR SUCCESSFUL SOLDERING WITH AN IRON

alternately, with a propane torch, just wave back and forth over the assembly...flux will sizzle and then solder will flow. Don't dwell or overheat.

ideally you'll use flux-cored eutectic solder (63/37) which is electronic grade and is a solder which goes from solid to liquid in a very small range of temperature. Normal solder has a very long plastic stage and you do not want that. Also, find RMA (Rosin, Mildly Activated) flux to use NOT ACID FLUX.

RMA flux and 63/37 solder may have to be bought from the internet as you are unlikely going to find it at a Hardware store.

All clean up is done with alcohol.

AVOID LEAD-FREE SOLDER...you're not eating off of this, so there is no need to go through the agony and overheating of your parts trying to use the stuff.

Finally...for the bottom strip...determine which rivet your wire goes through (either left side or center). Clean, flux and tin the contact strip at the appropriate location. Flux and tin the wire. ONLY AFTER TINNING IS THE STRIP INSTALLED ONTO THE PLASTIC. Bring wire up and once it's through the rivet, form as necessary, flux and reflow solder to get a good joint. A good joint will be bright and you'll still see the wire strand lay in the wire. Clean with alcohol and you're good to go.
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Conger

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:22 am

For easy soldering , used the old wood board and arranged the cleaned contacts and new bolts in order. With a small electric solder iron, easy to solder the contact edge to the bolt head.

As for insertion, transferred each one, in order to the new board, and used a punch on each bolt head and drove that carriage head bolt soldered to the contact into the new plastic insulator board. :)

IMG_7279 (500x375).jpg
IMG_7279 (500x375).jpg (109.66 KiB) Viewed 822 times

IMG_7284 (500x375).jpg
IMG_7284 (500x375).jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 822 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
IanMacLeod

Post by IanMacLeod » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:39 pm

Thank you all, friends, for helping me with this project, Scott Conger- your thoroughness is appreciated. I opted to special order the correct flux and 67/33 solder....project went pretty well, I installed the unit and reattached all wiring & surprise! It all worked! Thanks 1,000,000! C

Topic author
IanMacLeod

Post by IanMacLeod » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:39 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:51 pm
Chris thanks

Good solder flow: P5170043.JPG

Fiberglass tape to insulate wire from bottom of box (your wire will likely lay in a different slot, but for your sake, be sure to use the tape to avoid a future short): P1290170.JPG

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:59 pm

You're welcome

I'm glad things went well (that solder flowed nicely, didn't it?)
Scott Conger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic