Taking family to The Henry Ford in June

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Daniel828
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Brennan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Taking family to The Henry Ford in June

Post by Daniel828 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:26 pm

I’m taking the family to the Henry Ford and the village the weekend of June 22. Can any shed some light on what to do there? It’s seems so overwhelming to me as to what to see and do there
Thank you
Dan

CraneJon
First Name: jon
Last Name: crane
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 T pickup, 1928 A, 1931 A

Re: Taking family to The Henry Ford in June

Post by CraneJon » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Lots to see and do. Take the Rouge Tour and see trucks manufactured. Be certain the plant is running, so you might want a Friday tour if you are available.
Visit Piquette Ford plant in downtown Detroit, about a 1/2 hr drive from the museum.
Have to enjoy a hamburger at the Ford Grill around the corner from the museum on Michigan Ave.
A visit to Edsel Ford's estate in Grosse Pointe might be of interest.
A day at the museum and another day at the Village should wear everyone down.
Henry's home, Fairlane, is closed for renovations ( I think). You can still walk around the gardens and take in the sights. (5minutes from the village and museum)

Could go on and on.
Jon Crane

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm

In the Henry Ford, there is so much, one could spend several days, and still miss much. The settings of the past, using vintage items to illustrate camping with a Model T Ford, vintage service stations and drive in fast food, home settings are interesting to both the young and old. In the Village, see if you can get a ride in one of the "new" 1914 Model Ts. Visit the Thomas Edison lab,The Wright Brothers bicycle shop, the Mack Ave. Ford Plant and others of interest. There may be a vilage map or plan on line. I have visited both three or 4 times over the years and have always found something "new: to see. If you have time, visit the Benson Ford library where the Ford and Ford family collections are kept. You can research your Modelt if an early one. I have the build and shipping sheet copies for my 1910 Touring and looked at those for my former 1909 and two 1912s. . Take some pictures and post some here.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue May 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Dan,
When you say family I assume that means kids. What are their ages?

Greenfield Village is an interesting slice of Americana - you can go online and find descriptions of what can be seen in the various buildings. They have train rides behind a steam locomotive that circles the grounds - Model T rides too! Volunteers and docents are dressed in period costume and really add to the experience.

An overview of the museum may be found here: < https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/inside/> they also have an iMax theater but I'm not sure what's playing right now.

You might also want to consider the River Rouge plant tour. It departs and returns to the museum.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going after the HF?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
Daniel828

Post by Daniel828 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm

@modelt46 my T unfortunately doesn’t have a serial number. The block was rebuilder unit with a blank ser. number
But thank you for suggestions
@oldav8tor I have two boys 7 and almost 10. My wife is going to Grand Rapids for work meeting for a day then we’ll rent a car and go to Detroit We r staying in the Henry in Dearborn I think my wife said? I’m not sure about details yet.
I think I saw a merry go round on the grounds? My boys think the hotel pool is the highlight of any trip we go on so they are easy to entertain. Lol

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am

Yes, there is a Merry Goround at the Village. They’ll enjoy it. First of all; take the steam train around the entire 80 acres. Identify the Round House where the locomotives are kept. Thomas the Brit steam engine is there. Also they have demonstrations at various times during the day of the perfectly balanced train track in front of the Round House that adjusts to enable different locomotives from the House to get out and onto the main line. It weighs tons but your 7 year old will be allowed to move it - easily. In THF they assemble and disassemble a touring every day. Get your boys involved in the assembly phase - under docent supervision of course. There are 2 reasonably priced cafes in THF ( I prefer the old time diner) and 2 similarly in GV. ( I recommend the large cafe the fartherest out from the entry gate) Wear your walking shoes - you’ll have fun
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 25 Touring, 27 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 26 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by EricMac » Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am

Grand Rapids also has a number of great attractions. If you were to head south 35 miles (from Grand Rapids)you could also take in the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners. Lots to do here in Michigan. We never get bored.
1913 Touring
1925 Touring
1926 Touring
1927 Fordor (2)
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 am

We had several family members that lived in the Detroit area when I was kid in '50's and '60's. I was very fortunate that we went to the Henry Ford Museum (as it was called then, never did figure out why "Museum" was dropped) in about 1964 or so when I was 14 and hopelessly hooked on Model T's. I still have pictures from there and a Model T hubcap that my parents bought me at the souvenir shop. Being that it was in the '60's, I've always thought (hoped) that it was an original NOS one. Also went through one of the Ford plants (no idea which one) then and to the Rotunda in the mid '50's before it burn't down, still remember seeing the new '56 ford convertible on display there. Never did get to Greenfield Village though. Great memories! I'm sure that wherever you go or whatever your family will see will be remembered for a long time. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am

You won’t be able to see and do everything but there is plenty to entertain all members of the family. The kids might enjoy the village more than the museum but both are great. Arrive early if you can. It gets busy on weekends.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm

My wife and I have travelled to Dearborn/Detroit twice, just to see all things Ford.

To do your trip justice you'll need at least 3 days there, 5 is better.
1 whole day at the "Henry Ford"
1 whole day at "Greenfield Village"
1/2 a day to see the F series trucks being built at the Rouge factory. Tours leave from the Henry Ford.
1/2 a day to see the "Piquette Ave" plant.....you'll need a rental car for that. Bear in mind its not open every day. (This may have changed)

There are many other things "Ford" to see in the area. Graves, mansions, houses, etc

If you stay in the "Comfort Inn near Greenfield Village", you can walk to (and through the grounds of) Fairlane, and Fords restaurant is only 100 yards away with some of the best burgers. The Hotel also has a very flexible shuttle service to the Henry Ford, but its close enough that you can walk it.

Personally, I love the place and wish that the tyranny of distance didn't keep me away. I hope to get there again someday.

Good luck with the planning.

Cheers,
Rob
Attachments
DSC09461.jpg
DSC09230.jpg
DSC09521.jpg
DSC09395.jpg
DSC09325.jpg
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Just saw this on TV - 50% off tickets to Greenfield Village and all-day ride passes (Model T, Trains and Carousel) if you buy four or more tickets online before June 9th. Can use them anytime this year. Visit https://www.thehenryford.org/campaign/p ... spring-50/

Museum tickets are a separate purchase.

Visiting GV and the HF isn't cheap but I think you'll find it worth it. Depending upon how much time you plan to spend, you might want to pick either the village or the museum for this trip and find an excuse to visit again :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Topic author
Daniel828

Post by Daniel828 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks oldav8tor. That’s some great news I’ll check out those tix prices