1926 Fuel Line

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

1926 Fuel Line

Post by Tiger Tim » Sat May 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi all,

It looks like the fuel line on my 26 was at one time kinked and straightened and while whoever straightened it did an okay job it seems to be developing a crack there. Are there any tricks to making up a new line or is it just a matter of bending a piece of tube (I think I read somewhere that brake line works?) into an upside down question mark and plugging it in?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: 1926 Fuel Line

Post by Norman Kling » Sat May 18, 2019 8:57 pm

You need a tubing bender to do it right. or you could bend it around something round, about 2 or 3 inches in diameter. If you try to bend it without a support, it will kink very easily. See picture.
engine2.jpg
engine2.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 3114 times

Topic author
Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Sounds easy enough. I should have mentioned that I planned to pick up a small tubing bender, I was just curious if there were any non-obvious gotchas to that short line and it sounds like there aren’t.

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Tue May 21, 2019 8:34 am

I wouldn’t use Brake tubing as it’s usually too small and would suggest you use 5/16” tube to ensure
good supply of fuel
Alan

signsup
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Brough
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 War Wagon 1927 Depot Hack 1927 TT
MTFCA Number: 31990
MTFCI Number: 31990
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by signsup » Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am

We use a tube bender, but I have heard that the old moonshiners would pack the tubing with sand and then just bend it or coil it by hand. The sand packed inside kept it from kinking.
Remove sand prior to installation. You'll get enough junk in your system as it is.

We always use clean gas and run it from jerry cans through paper coffee filters and a funnel into our tanks. Took off a tank from our Depot Hack yesterday and emptied the fuel into a white bucket. The gas looks like tea. No paint or lining in the tnak, just 100 year old metal. We will have the tank boiled while it is out and diesel fuel in it while we are working on the Hack. Then I'm wondering if keeping the tank as full as possible will help reduce bare metal from flash rusting while in use. Or if the tanks splashes enough to prevent this on it's own.
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

A bunch of old cars
Sometimes they run.
Sometimes, they don't.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue May 21, 2019 11:19 am

I have a NOS 26-7 fuel line around here somewhere. It is basically an upside down question mark. I agree having something to bend it around would be a help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic