Windshield Hinge Friction

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Windshield Hinge Friction

Post by Tiger Tim » Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 pm

I’ve noticed lately that my windshield on the 26 wants to flop around a lot. I know the reproduction wing nuts I have aren’t the best fit, and I had to add washers under them when they were installed, but now it seems I need to do something more. Is there supposed to be a friction washer or something on the inside of the cup that holds the windshield steady?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Windshield Hinge Friction

Post by Norman Kling » Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm

There is a cone which fits inside the windshield stancheon. A nut holds the cone onto the stud which is in the windshield frame. The stud goes through the stancheon. Your stud might be too long to fit into the nut and have the nut go on tight. You can use a washer on the outside under the nut. A small diameter washer about the same size as the nut would not be very noticeable. I have one on mine. Other possible cure would be to grind off a little from the stud.
Norm

Topic author
Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks Norman, I’ll stack another washer or two under the wing but and see where that gets me. I think part of the problem is the repop nuts being bored too shallow then heavily plated which makes them very hard to screw on. Perhaps while I have them off I should make up a poor man’s tap from a bolt with a slot cut down the side so I can clean up the threads some.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Mon May 20, 2019 8:17 pm

I have the same problem with the upper windshield on my ‘14 Tim. Driving into a strong wind or when a semi passes me going in the opposite direction; the upper windscreen inevitably flops backward. And I’ve tightened the snot out of the hinge screw.... What have others done to remediate this ?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic