How to install glass, 1927 Touring windshield

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bmklawt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Klawiter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

How to install glass, 1927 Touring windshield

Post by bmklawt » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:56 pm

Searched but could not find specifics on how to install glass in windshield frames then in stanchions.
1, Do I wrap the glass in glass setting/bedding cloth tape I get at Lang's before inserting glass into frame.
2, Do I also use the setting/bedding tape or something else for under the clamp and each end of frame.
3, Do I get safety glass or laminated.
4, Does anything go between the window frame and stanchion, no amount of tightening of the wing nut will hold my window tilted open. see 1st photo
5, Is there a front or back to the bottom windshield frame
6, What goes in the groove on the inside of the stanchion
7, What are these and do I need them, 2nd photo
Attachments
IMG_8156.jpg
whatizit.JPG
whatizit.JPG (30.65 KiB) Viewed 205 times

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: How to install glass, 1927 Touring windshield

Post by Allan » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:03 pm

Laminated glass is safety glass. The alternative safety glass is tempered glass. If you are using new glass laminated glass is the way to go. I would have a glass shop cut and fit the glass. They can use a sealant/bedding material that prevents any moisture getting between the frame and glass, stopping any rust problems.
The grooves on the inside of the pillars takes a rubber flap which helps to slow down the wind/rain from getting inside the car. I believe the vendors stock these.

Others will have contributions too.
Allan from down under.

Jack Putnam, in Ohio
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Putnam
MTFCA Number: 13833
MTFCI Number: 13353

Re: How to install glass, 1927 Touring windshield

Post by Jack Putnam, in Ohio » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 pm

Installing the glass in your windshield frame is easy if you take the frame to your nearby glass shop and let them do it properly. It not that expensive. If you break it while you try to install it, you just doubled the cost.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic