J.C.Taylor antique insurance rates

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

J.C.Taylor antique insurance rates

Post by DanTreace » Mon May 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Well, price inflation is understood most times, but just received the annual invoice from JC Taylor. Have used them since 1985, reasonable rates, never have had a claim either.

A 50% rate jump with no changes in coverage or autos was such that I called them. Seems that Foremost Insurance Co., Grand Rapids, MI, that JC Taylor uses, mandated this hike. Asked if others had called in to complain, and the lady said, 'oh yes!' Sure have.'

Think its time to shop around to other carriers...... :cry:
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: J.C.Taylor antique insurance rates

Post by KeithG » Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Dan, I use Hagerty and like them, for what it's worth.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Hagerty is $172 for my 1915 runabout and 1923 touring. I don't pay the extra dough for the "club" and magazine I don't have time to read. I've never had a claim, but lots of people brag on Hagerty service.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks Steve

Did an on-line instant quote with Hagerty, entered the same coverages as now (do carry high limits for these litigious times) and found similar price.

The JC Taylor is only $20 higher than Hagerty, so will just stick with 'em. :|. They do adv. in the club mags, and give us support.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Mon May 20, 2019 3:52 pm

I would also check with other companies like Grundy or American Collector before I would just hand them such a big increase for nothing better than what you had!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:05 pm

I added mine to my policy of my modern auto insurance. $12 month I believe ? (Cincinnati ins)
They said they allow 5000 miles per year, I said that's cool...it has no odometer !! :lol:

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Here's my $20 worth-
I've often chimed in here with recommendations for J.C.Taylor. I've had personal experience with a claim-some rear end damage on our 1974 MG while on a tour a few years ago. Their service was outstanding in every respect. I have several other old car friends with similar experience. You don't know if your insurance is any good until you have a claim! That's why my recommendation is J.C. Taylor, and will continue to be.

I expect an increase next time we renew, and believe everyone who follows the news should also realistically anticipate a rate increase. Look at all the natural disasters we've had lately - fires, flooding, etc. Don't forget those California wild fires and all the pictures of the burned out hulks of antique cars left behind. I'm sticking with them not only because I know they are good at what they do, they are also indeed strong supporters of our hobby and even our individual small clubs.

Oh-as an additional note - I'm sure others will agree, absolutely do not use your "regular insurance" company. It isn't about price, and they generally don't know what they are doing when it comes to your antiques and collector cars. I've heard the horror stories there too!
Terry

revaz
First Name: Willard
Last Name: Revaz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Touring, 1915 Roadster, 1922 Coupe, 1924 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 7516
MTFCI Number: 15591

Post by revaz » Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Five T’s, a Model-A and two antique motorcycles and I currently pay $785. a year. A 50% increase will put the premium over $1000. I have never has a claim, but have heard they pay readily and fairly. Time to let my kids take custody of some cars and downsize if I want to stay in the game. If you want to play, you are going to have to pay.

lesvonnordheim
First Name: Les
Last Name: Von Nordheim

Post by lesvonnordheim » Mon May 20, 2019 10:58 pm

I switched over to Hagerty from J.C. Taylor 2 years ago. Had J.C. Taylor for over 30 yrs......happy I switched...should have done it sooner.

Dave_Baker
First Name: David
Last Name: Baker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Model T Touring,1922 Springfield Body Estate wagon

Post by Dave_Baker » Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 pm

If you are a AARP member and have a good driving record Hartford beats them all especially if you have your other vehicles insured with AARP . Had the same problem with one of the other well known companys. Five cars Some high coverage for $309.00 a year.

Stu Tomlinson
First Name: Stuart
Last Name: Tomlinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1913 Huckster, 1924 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 27355

Post by Stu Tomlinson » Wed May 22, 2019 9:43 pm

I have used Haggerty for well over 20 years, and have been very pleased with their service.

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Retro54 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:36 pm

In the 'for what its worth' category. I just recieved my J.C. Taylor premium in the mail yesterday. I've been waiting for the renewal since reading this post. My policy went up $0 from last year. That's right, I'm paying the same rate as last year on my 1954 chevrolet, agreed upon value policy.

I also had the unfortunate event of being hit by a drunk driver while driving this car 6 or so years ago. Processed the claim on this same policy, thru J.C. Taylor instead of the drivers insurance, and their service was amazing. Had the bumper damage on this driver quality car repaired at a local AACA show winning shop and had the full bumper rechromed at a nationally known chrome shop. No issues, with any of this on my claim.

With no change in rate, and having experienced amazing claims service, I'll keep my policies with J.C. Taylor.

Andy

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:53 pm

I have had the same wonderful experience as Andrew, with an unfortunate accident I had.

Fabulous attentiveness, fast check $$, timely followup. Could not have been more pleased.

To OP Dan: I seriously suspect that it is a FL thing with regards to cost going up. When I moved to WY, everything related to car insurance expenses plummeted. My EX worked for Allstate and she said their claims losses in FL far exceeded any other state...from honest wrecks to suspected swoop-and-squat, theft, vandalism and everything inbetween. I'd guess that no insurer is immune to the realities of the state.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Post by modeltbarn » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Hmmm...... I outta look and see if there was an increase, I just always pay the bill and don't compare... I don't think it increased much, it didn't stand out, but now I'll check.

Last year I had a 'self inflicted wound' on my '11; I winched it into the trailer with the top up, just like I used to with my '15. Thing is this car is taller than the '15, and I know better, I just forgot. I didn't hear anything, I just noticed the front leather straps were loose, then I noticed one of the top sockets had a crick like a dog-leg shape, then I slapped my forehead, said 'Oh Crap', and looked out side to see how many other tour folk had witnessed my 'event'... only one. Then I surveyed and photographed the damage, but the top boot on, and drove the tour with the top down (Yosemite needs to be toured with the top down anyway!). That was a Monday evening. Tuesday morning I sent pictures and a description to the Foremost rep that I was assigned through JC Taylor. I also sent him quotes for all the parts I'd need to fix it, told him I'd handle the repair and the paint. He said the last top replacement was over twice that amount (must have had labor) and they deposited the $$ in my account by Thursday morning. Pretty darn good service.

I hooked up with them because my parents used them, and they had T's back in the mid 50's. I've had my T with them over 30 years. I've had two claims, the other was a top for a '15 roadster that was ruined when we got hit with a really bad storm. Both were comprehensive claims, both handled without trouble.

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Holy cats. 50% is a big jump. Everything is going up but damn. When my wife and I go out to a drive thru burger joint anymore it’s $20 or MORE Just for 2 burgers and a coke.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:46 pm

I believe Scott Conger's observation about rates varying by state is on the mark. When I moved from California to Kansas my cost of car insurance became less than half of what I had been paying.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Just received my J. C. Taylor renewal notice. Same amount as last year to the penny. And this is in California. Go figure.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:52 pm

After reading this thread I thought it was about time I got my car insured, still dont have it on the road yet but have alot of money into it.
So I got quotes from JC Taylor, Hagerty and Grundy, Hagerty was the most and JC Taylor was the cheapest, Grundy was in the middle. All you guys say JC is excellent so im going with them
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic