Hand Crank spring #2

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ArthurB
First Name: Arthur
Last Name: Babitz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927ish Roadster Pickup
Board Member Since: 2018

Hand Crank spring #2

Post by ArthurB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

I bought a hand crank rebuild kit which includes a new bushing, pin, and two springs. I installed one spring with the end in the small hole near the crank bend so it keeps the crank from engaging accidentally. But what do I do with the other one? It is about an inch long and the diameter is too small to even fit over the main crank arm. It looks like it could fit over the part of the crank which holds the handle, but I can't figure out how or why I would install a spring there. Any wisdom before I reinstall the radiator and forget about it?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Hand Crank spring #2

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:21 pm

The little spring is p/n 3909 used on the 1915-1922 hand cranks with the tapered cast iron sleeve handle.

That small spring fits inside the handle and keeps the sleeve from rattling.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:23 pm

It goes in back of the handle, between the handle and the crank.

Topic author
ArthurB
First Name: Arthur
Last Name: Babitz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927ish Roadster Pickup
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by ArthurB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Hmm-- my handle rattles and I can see a small piece of metal in there that might have been an old spring. Does the spindle for the handle unscrew from the crank to let me replace the spring? It doesn't look like it does, but there's a bit of paint ("patina") in the way.
IMG_3308.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Arthur, from your photo you can see that the pin on which the sleeve rotates is riveted over in the eye of the crank handle. Looking at the state of that pin I would suggest it needs replacing. That you can see the pin shows the cast iron sleeve is missing. I don't know if they are available from the vendors. If you an locate one, the small spring goes in a recess at the front of the sleeve and serves to stop it rattling.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Lang's has the complete kit.

Remove the old pin that was riveted. Then clean up the bore at the end of the crank handle, insert assembly and re-rivet

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3901C.aspx

491449.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic