First Start in over a year

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

First Start in over a year

Post by Novice » Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 am

:( My yellow 26 touring has not been run in over a year. It is 12 volt. has a coil and distributor. starter is 6 volts so it spins fast. I have tried to crank it a few times over the past months with no luck. I tried it yesterday and didn't get any pops bangs or burps. But I did notice My intake manifold was slightly cooler than the other engine parts indicating the engine was getting fuel during the short starting bursts from gas vapor cooling.
My engine does not have a hot air pipe installed and I have noticed the carb and intake runs cold and drips condensation even when it's 90 degrees outside So I figured it was getting fuel which left no spark. SO Today I pulled the Distributor cover checked the capacitor and the point contacts which checked Ok on the meter. I took some very fine "non graphite" sand paper and lightly sanded the contacts points. Hit the starter and it fired right up and purred like a kitten. I ran it for about 20 minutes adjusting the gas and timing to see best point for smooth running. Lots of funny smells and smoke from the year old dust cooking off the muffler and engine. carb and intake were dripping condensate like a leaky roof. engine ran cool with the water pump till I shut it off and the radiator starting making gurgling noises belching steam and water out the over flow for a half minute or so. Guess I had it too full.
:D Now I have no excuse not for taking it out for a spring spin.

Topic author
Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

DIAGNOSING starting problems. follow up first start

Post by Novice » Sun May 26, 2019 3:49 pm

You can tell if a model T engine is getting fuel by checking the carb and manifold temperature to see if they get cooler after being cranked a number of times. not a cold weather test. But will help eliminate fuel as a problem So You can move on to check other areas. In My case dirty distributor points.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic