Do you register your old plates?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
keqwow
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Cicciarelli

Do you register your old plates?

Post by keqwow » Tue May 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Do you register your old plates with the DMV? I went to a car show this past weekend and asked an owner if they registered the old plates and they said no. They carry around the registration and a new plate under the seat but the old original plates are unregistered. According to them, the cops generally seem to understand as long as you can produce an up-to-date registration and show an original plate stored in the car somewhere. They went on to say most everyone in their group of Model T folks does this without issue. I was just curious if that was the general approach of if this was just a group of folks that lived in an area with kindly country cops.

Dellpound
First Name: Dell
Last Name: Pound
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Looking
MTFCA Number: 17469

Re: Do you register your old plates?

Post by Dellpound » Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Many states do a year of manufacture plate program where you use the old plate as long as the letter/number combo is not currently used on a modern plate

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue May 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Nebraska allows year-of-manufacture license plates under three conditions. They must match the year on your title. They need to inspect and approve the plate as having the correct color and not a reproduction. Finally, the plate number must not be currently in use by someone else. If these conditions are met, they will register the plate as "official". One benefit is that they require one plate rather than two on modern cars. My wife found this one at a swap meet. It's now official.
Plate - small.gif
Plate - small.gif (78.81 KiB) Viewed 9209 times

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 28, 2019 1:11 pm

I think I would contact your DMV yourself or do an online search of your states law regarding original year plates.
Some local officers don’t always know information about antique cars.
Find out for yourself instead of relying on somebody else’s word for it. Some folks just go by what somebody else said and don’t have the correct information.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm

State laws very, check with your local BMV...
Ohio allows unregistered MY plates, with registered plates with you.
I run both, mainly because the 24 plate is dark and the Ohio hysterical plate is white with black lettering and shows up at night much better.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

I agree with John. The laws on this vary greatly among states, so you need to research the particulars of New York's rules on registration. A search of the state's website should tell you the ins and outs. I do know that New York allows YOM registrations, and the last I knew they had the silly requirement that your antique plates could not be restored. How can they tell whether a plate is properly restored or well-preserved? They can't. Meanwhile at least one other state requires that the plates must be restored. Again, how can they tell? They can't.

I now carry a copy of the YOM law in the car with my registration because of an experience I had many years ago. A highway patrol officer stopped me because he thought my YOM plate was illegal. He was on his radio for about twenty minutes while somebody explained the law to him.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Yes. Idaho is very good about doing this. They require a sticker but some put it on a bolt-on tab rather that the plate.
YOMplate.jpg
When did I do that?

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue May 28, 2019 5:32 pm

I have used “Year of Manufacture “ on couple cars, but will not anymore. In my state, Alabama a 1915 tag is worth about $ 1500.00 +. A 1925 tags bring $ 400.00+. The tag is suppose to stay with the car forever. That tag does not add $1500.00.to the car. So all mine now just have a vintage tag. Dan.

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue May 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Texas used to allow year of manufacture plates but does not now. Those that have YOM plates and keep up the registration can still have them as they are grandfathered in but if you forget to send in your payment one time the plates get dropped forever and cannot be re-registered,

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 28, 2019 8:12 pm

I live in Texas and I recently acquired a fairly large box of Texas plates from the late 50’s up.
Lots of pairs and in nice original shape. That’s to bad about Texas changing the law on YOM plates. I have a 63 Ford Galaxie and was going to use a 63 plate on it. But not now.
Wonder what it will do for plate collectors as there is a market or was for classic car era plates.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Tue May 28, 2019 9:12 pm

From what I understand, Oregon allows YOM plates, however, of the YOM play has a number that is on current plate, they will not allow it. That being the case, most guys who have Yom plats on their cars have them for decoration only and have the registration and issued plates tucked away if needed.

Now that I think about it, I don't even know where my registration papers are...

Ask the DMV? Hmmm... My advise is don't ask if you don't want to hear an answer you don't want to hear.

I have only been pulled over once in my Model T, about 40 years ago. I made an illegal left turn late at night and it was back when all I have had for rear end lighting was a single oil tail lamp... which had gone out.

: ^ )

Keith

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 24 Touring, 26 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 27 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by EricMac » Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 pm

Michigan allows them. You only need one but many people (including me) like to have a pair. I think the plates really enhance the appearance and authenticity of the car.
1913 Touring
1926 Fordor
1926 Touring
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by modernbeat » Tue May 28, 2019 10:15 pm

MichaelPawelek wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:11 pm
Texas used to allow year of manufacture plates but does not now. Those that have YOM plates and keep up the registration can still have them as they are grandfathered in but if you forget to send in your payment one time the plates get dropped forever and cannot be re-registered,
No longer true. This happened back around 2011, and the Texas Senate stepped in and changed the laws to make them legal again soon after.
https://www.txdmv.gov/registration-and- ... 012/014-12

The form for annual Classic Registration (VTR-850) which allows YOM plates was revised June 2018.
The form for five-year Antique Registration (VTR-54) which also allows YOM plates was revised January 2018.
https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/cat_v ... e&dir=DESC

If your local Texas DMV is refusing to allow the YOM plates, have them call Jeremiah Kuntz's office and have them clarify it for your local office.
Jason McDaniel

SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by SurveyKing » Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Texas does allow old plates to be used to register your antique vehicle. I have two with original plates as shown here. The ease of getting this done all depends upon the knowledge of the clerk, so if you have difficulty with one, go to another DMV location. 1924 requires the year tag which was used to revalidate the 1923 plate as they did not put the year on the plate until 1925.
DSC04047.JPG
DSC04031.JPG
1925 Pickup May 2014.jpg

Eck
First Name: William
Last Name: Sheppard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster pickup
MTFCI Number: 24498

Post by Eck » Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I have a YOM on my 26. They have been restored at some point and took me four hours with the DMV to get them on my truck. Virginia allows them but most peoople at our local DMV are unsure about re issue and told me it could not be re issued but a call to the state DMV office and another hour on the phone got me my plates.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 pm

As a few of the posts above have indicated, the ease or difficulty of registration differs not only by state but also by local office and by individual bureaucrat. If one office or individual gives you trouble, you may have better luck with another one. Sometimes it may be helpful to download the pertinent law and have a copy of it with you.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Wed May 29, 2019 12:12 am

In Wisconsin it costs $5.00 to register an antique car, and you receive a pair of ANTIQUE plates that are non expiring for as long as you own that car. They are supposed to be restricted to "special occasions", but any time you drive a Model T it is a special occasion. I have had some over 50 years, and I have never heard of anyone ever getting stopped by police.
If your car is registered as an ANTIQUE, you can display YOM plates as long as you carry the ANTIQUE plates in the trunk or under the seat to prove it.
Attachments
DSC07770.JPG
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Mark Osterman
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed May 29, 2019 12:56 am

No problem in New York state with re-registering a set of original plates that are the year of your car as long as you have both front and back and the numbers match. Mine are kinda dirty so the colors aren’t very strong, but I’m ok with that. By the way, if you need a vintage Al Smith plate, I have an extra. :-)
Attachments
22CF1206-2DC8-4850-8301-A30D4EFD0146.jpeg

TheSaintDiscJockey
First Name: Brooks
Last Name: Schlieben
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 TT
MTFCA Number: 32304
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by TheSaintDiscJockey » Wed May 29, 2019 5:41 am

In Pennsylvania, yes. I bought two identical Pennsylvania 1920 plates on Ebay, so was not too concerned if someone else was using the same tag number. I ran a check in any event on our Department of Transportation website. I also restored mine to appear as they would have in 1920.

I had a sign painter do the numbers, after some failed attempts on my own.

We have commericial license and tag places in Pennsylvania, who we can go to for assistance by very knowledgeable and helpful staff for vehicle registration and the like. I just came prepared with the proper documentation for vehicle registration and copies of Pennsylvania statute info, etc. just in the event. Pretty routine. No issues.

jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Post by jagiven » Wed May 29, 2019 9:43 am

Every state is different. Minnesota is fairly relaxed. The YOM plate is considered a vanity plate, so as long as no one else has that number combo, your good. We have two registration options. Pay a small one time fee ($18), and put the plate on the car and use it as a Sunday and parade driver only. Pay $32 annually and use the car as a daily driver. No other plate is issued.

The one restriction Minnesota has, and I swear everyone breaks the ordinance, The plate must not be restored, and must be legible (color contrast, paint not to worn).

Jeff Perkins
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Perkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 10642
MTFCI Number: 17799

Post by Jeff Perkins » Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 am

Jason is right, Minnesota is pretty relaxed about titles and YOM plates, although one must be accurate with details. I was able to easily get a bonded title for my 1913 T and register it with a YOM plate. This plate was originally issued to Peter Iverson from Watson Mn. for his 1912 Overland per Erik Johnson’s research.
Attachments
F105B440-2E04-496E-80A1-F9E9D65F9CBA.jpeg
1913 Model T Runabout,
1926 Model T Touring,
1948 Chrysler New Yorker,
1991 Mazda Miata

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Wed May 29, 2019 11:00 am

I have DOM plates on my T. They allow me to drive anytime. In Ca, like other states, We also have horseless carriage plates but they restrict our driving to parades and club functions only. Although theses plates were not assigned to this car in 1926 I like having them on my car.

mvweaver
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Weaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Model TT flatbed and 27 Model TT dump

Post by mvweaver » Wed May 29, 2019 11:35 am

I have an original 1927 plate on mine in WV. Registered with it and registration is for 10 years. Just have to remember to renew it. Same thing with all of my old cars. - Matt

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Wed May 29, 2019 11:43 am

Although Minnesota's YOM statute does have good intentions, the result is that many collector cars end up being registered with the wrong type of license plates which is historically incorrect. This this is due to the way the law is written as well as collector vehicle owner and Minnesota Department of Public Safety ignorance.

The most common problem I see is the plethora of cars registered with Minnesota "A" passenger plates ("A" for less than one ton) when they should be registered with "B" passenger plates ("B" for one ton and over).

I've also seen 1949 cars registered with truck plates. Not only do Minnesota 1949 truck plates have an alpha prefix that the 1949 automobile plates did not have, they have the wrong color combination.

Minnesota collector vehicle registration does not have any Sunday or parade only restrictions. As long as it is operated as a collector vehicle and not for every day use, you can drive it anytime and anywhere. That is a very liberal definition; basically, you can't use it for daily commuting or a business vehicle. Not to be confused with insurance policy restrictions.

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed May 29, 2019 2:22 pm

New Jersey is a weird one for this activity.

YOM plates are not allowed. You have to buy two Antique Vehicle plates for the car, which are permanent. You are supposed to run two plates.

However, there is an obscure law that states if your car was manufactured before 1948, you only have to run one plate. But, New Jersey only manufactures plates in pairs.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Wed May 29, 2019 3:29 pm

mo is great.25.00 for antique plate +25.00 more yom plate. you are done no more fees no more inspections.just pay taxes & inc .charley

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed May 29, 2019 5:09 pm

I agree with Charley, MO is great. I have antique plates on my Model T and a year of manufacture plate on my 1971 Plymouth GTX. Paid a one time fee, no more bi-annual inspections and registration fees! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:12 pm

I restored a set of plates for my brother-in-law here in Virginia. A lot of work. He took them to the DMV and a new set with the same numbers are currently in use. So he pulls them out at the car shows but cannot register them.
0510170630 (Small).jpg
0428171639 (Small).jpg
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 am

Must be restored/may not be restored ~ silly, silly, silly. :)

IMG_2973 copy.JPG
Is this plate restored?
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Thu May 30, 2019 7:03 am

Jim, Sr. just pointed out one issue with WI plates. You can display YOM plates as long as the other ones are in possession in the vehicle someplace. But you are restricted to operation of the vehicle by the type of plate you purchase. The antique plates do come with restrictions, most of the old car guys I know (including me) just get Collector plates. They are $250 lifetime cost ($150 for the second if you have more cars), transferable, and the only restriction on operation is you can't drive them during January without a special tag. I don't have any problem with that. I'm not going to drive an open car around at -25 anyways.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic