Petit Jean?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

Petit Jean?

Post by Bill Everett » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:30 pm

I was planning on coming over to Petit Jean on the 13th, but wanted to ask if anyone knows whether or not the meet will even be held.

I've been watching the flooding on TV, and I do hope the meet is "on".

Anyone know?

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314

Re: Petit Jean?

Post by MWalker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 am

Bill -- I haven't heard anything about its being cancelled. The Arkansas River is flooding, but it's beginning to subside and roads should be passable by the time we need to travel on them. And as you know, the swap meet is on top of a mountain, so it's way above the flooding. :D Our group of "usual suspects" plans to drive our cars from Fayetteville to PJ on Wednesday the 12th.

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 pm

i thought about loading up a pile of early t parts then driving 350 miles.then i remembered why i quit going 25 years ago .ha ha. charley

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 pm

I checked the road closings today. The roads coming from the west side of the mountain are still closed. The roads to the route up the South side of the mountain are also still closed. That leaves the East side route thru Morriliton and Oppelo. That route is open and probably will not flood. The river has creasted and should be receeding soon. The flooding should have no effect on the swap meet. It may be muddy if it keeps raining, but it has been muddy before and we survived. There may be folks who do not come thinking it will be a bad swap meet or folks that do not like the east route up the mountain. I have been pulling trailer loads of parts up the east side for 40 years. I have a travel trailer and two trailers loaded and ready to go. The first load goes up this Saturday. We start staying on Monday. The best days are Thursday, Friday and Saturday . So there is still time for the other roads to open. See y'all there ..

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 pm

The mountain is above the flood, of course, but I'd expect at least some of the roads around Dardanelle to be under water. I won't get to see it, though. Maybe I can get down there next year.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

MikieB
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Black
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 Touring, 23 Spdstr, 25 Spdstr, 25 TT, 25 Hack, 26 P/U
MTFCA Number: 22331
MTFCI Number: 20331

Post by MikieB » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 am

Haven't been doing much T stuff for a while, but, getting ready to head from SC to Petit Jean this coming Sunday. We're heading to Denver when it's over, so I'm not bringing cars or the RV this year. We're staying at the motel nearest the museum. I encourage any of you, who can find any time, to come up to the mountain. You can't help but enjoy it. The parts, the cars, the natural beauty, and most of all the fellowship of hundreds of other car guys is good for the soul. Hope to see ya'll there.

MWalker

Post by MWalker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:59 pm

MikieB -- It's good to hear that you'll be coming to PJ. We've missed you the past few years. You know where we'll be, stop by and visit.

MWalker

Post by MWalker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Parts of AR Hwys. 7 and 155 (the shortcut near Holla Bend) were under water recently, but I expect they'll be open again by the time we need to use them the middle of next week. The water in that area was caused by a failure of the levee near 155, but not in a place where 155 is on top of the levee, so the highway wasn't damaged, I think. Just a little mud cleanup, and they should be good as new.

dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:51 am

We hauled the first load to Petit Jean today. (Saturday) The show grounds are in good shape. Its still a little damp near the creek in the center of the show grounds. But overall everything is looking great.

The south route up the mountain, thru Perry is open as well as the east route thru Morriliton/Oppelo. There are still some roads from the west thru Dardanelle that are closed. If coming from Dardanelle check your route out before coming that way ...

It is looking to be a very nice week as to the weather. very low rain chances and cool weather is expected ... A couple days may be in the 50s at night ????? with day temps in the 80s ... If camping bring an extra blanket .. :) :) In 40 years of vending and camping at Petit Jean I have only seen it this cool once before. Its usually hot .....

Second load headed up tomorrow (Sunday) then the last load goes up Monday. and we stay till next Saturday ...

Thursday, Friday, and 1/2 day Saturday are the best days for this meet.

Already bought 2 items today, :) hope to see some of ya'll there .....

MWalker

Post by MWalker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:15 am

The Idrive Arkansas road info site shows that Hwy. 155 near Holla Bend is still closed due to flooding. We usually take that route in our T's driving from Fayetteville. But we can go a little farther south on AR-7 to Centerville and take 154 to PJ. 154 is open, and it's only a couple of miles longer.

MWalker

Post by MWalker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:19 am

A section of AR-309 in Logan County between Ozark and Paris also is closed. That's usually a part of our route. But we can go another way; it's just a few miles longer.

BTW, that Idrive Arkansas info site is great! Easy to use, very clear, and very informative as to closings. This is the first time I've used it, but not the last. :)

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 am

I spent four years (July 1963 to July 1967) at Little Rock AFB in Jacksonville. Whenever I hear "Petit Jean," I think of Winthrop Rockefeller. Orval Faubus was governor when I arrived in Arkansas, and Rockefeller became governor a half year before I left. Seems like a long time ago. Oh, wait! It was a long time ago.... :D

dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Our spaces last year ...
fall petitt jean 2017 (5).JPG
We made it up the mountain with the second and biggest load. The old Dodge 1 ton had to work hard today ... I had to shift to second gear for the first time in years. I did not have to shift into "granny low" but it was getting close :) :) Everything on the trailer and truck is "HEAVY" this year .... 16 mph from the sharp curve at the bottom, all the way to the top ... Anyone who has pulled loads up that mountain will know what Im talking about ... I used to say "if the radiator is not boiling by the time you get to the top, the load is not big enough, and should have thrown on some more stuff""... :) The old Dodge was just starting to boil when I hit the top ... and the temps were in the 70s this morning ...

I do not have much model T stuff this year. Im trying to get rid of "tonnage" of all my misc. other stuff. There has not been much T stuff in the last few years, but sometimes a jewel shows up, or someone bringing in "dads" or granddads" stuff. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, are always slow, as the vendors trickle in. It picks up some on Thursday, with Friday and Saturday till noon the better days.

All of the "old timers" (yes Mike Walker is one of them :)) know that the Petit Jean swap meet is just hard to beat because of the location ... and the "laid back" attitude of most of the folks there ....

After today, Ill be "off line" till its over. I do not have a smart phone ...

Ill be the guy on the little red scooter pulling the little red trailer ... or my spaces are K5-K6 and KS near the center set of toilets and the drinking water faucets. Look for the red and white Retro camp trailer ....... see ya'll there .........................................................

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic