HCCT value

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
70shovelhead
First Name: Preston
Last Name: Wells
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Runabout, 1926 TT Truck
Board Member Since: 2008

HCCT value

Post by 70shovelhead » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm

I went to a guys house today to look at a truck load of T parts hes wanting to get rid of. He showed me this beauty. We pit a good coil in and it works as it should. What should I offer him for it. It has been mostly a static exhibit in his living room but his wife wants it to go.
0606190952.jpg
0606190952a.jpg
70shovelhead

"There is more to life than what we see"

1923 T Roadster
1926 TT Truck
1948 Willys Pickup
1937 Harley WL45
1919 IHC Titan 10-20

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: HCCT value

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:25 pm

I got $1000 for mine a year ago.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm

One just sold last Saturday ( an Allen ) at a local estate auction for $1250.........most the T items sold at giveaway prices.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 am

Some wives!.......Gimme a break! My wife wouldn't mind that on display even a little bit.

Of course, she's the girl that gets her nails done with some kind of special coating that won't chip or dissolve when working in the shop, as she gets as greasy as I do sometimes. Comes about it honestly, I guess. Her Daddy was a mechanic and body man.

And then there's this one. This is my son's girlfriend's 4 year old daughter being trained how to properly change oil. Tomboy in the making.
Attachments
11145.jpeg

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:16 am

I get gel nails, they hold up better than the other types of acrylics or silks, and the colors are amazing, they... um... heck, you don't want to know that! :lol:

I just gave $1K for one plus shipping, should be here in a day or 2 (and I am excited!! 8-) ), if it works (sounds like it does) and the ammeter is accurate then I've seen them for as low as $750 and high as $1500.

Sure wish I got one back when they were going for $300... woulda shoulda coulda, but I was being cheap. Silly me... :cry:

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:58 am

Forty to fifty years ago? Most hobbyists thought they were good only for display items. I knew several people that got them for free. I could have bought a dozen of them if I had the extra money, always needed my fifty bucks for parts for my cars, or tour fees.
I think I have enough pieces to build one. But find myself in the same leaky boat as before. I need all the time I can scrape free to get another T together so I can go driving again.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:35 am

I know, it's crazy... then again, coils were still somewhat common and cheap (they used to use them for heater igniters - I bought a set of 4 NIB KW's from an appliance store for IIRC 5 or 10 bucks each, gave them to dad as a Christmas present) and best guess was (somehow) good enough... the trend was to dump the buzz boxes and get one of those cool distributors... because those coils never worked right (or the mag died and all you had was battery or nothing, etc.)...

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:47 am

Generally $800-$1200 is the going rate.
Funny, my dad was offered $1K for ours 30 years ago. :?
Attachments
IMG_2607.JPG

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:14 pm

If I even suggested to my wife that I put one of those on display in our house, I'd be sleeping in the garage for a month!

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Dave H, About thirty years ago is after Ron P published articles in the Vintage Ford and started turning the hobby around to accepting the T's coil system wasn't a pile of archaic garbage. HCCTs went from giveaways to around $500 in a few short years. $1000 would have been a bit high at that time, but not unheard of. I saw several at swap meets around then asking a grand, and even heard of a couple selling for about that. After the price jumped so high so fast, the things started crawling out of the woodwork (so it seemed), and prices leveled off settling in to what we see today.
We as protectors of history owe Ron P a huge debt of gratitude. In the '60s and early '70s, people hated the T's coil system, not understanding the issue of half century old condensers or their incorrect replacements, and the need of proper adjustment. Today, most of the hobby knows better.

TheMoneyPit
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wetherbee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor Sedan

Post by TheMoneyPit » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:58 pm

I picked mine up around 1980 for $50. Don Lang made a comment at the time that I wasted my money restoring it... funny how times change, but if someone came around with $1250 in cash I think they would be walking away with it. I have not seriously used it in the last few years.
There is no such thing as a “free” lunch... :D

Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 am

As an aside, a few years ago there was much discussion about how coils needed frequent adjustment to stay properly tuned. I had a visitor Saturday that wanted to have his coils adjusted. We did that and put them in my TT for a short drive to kinda 'road test' them. Since I had my coils out and had the cover off my coil tester, I figured....what the heck, might as well check mine before putting them back in. All four were in perfect adjustment and they haven't been adjusted in probably 8-10 years. Once a set of coils have been properly rebuilt and adjusted and coupled with a good mag and coil box, it makes for a very reliable ignition system.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am

A Clarification regarding coil adjustment interval:

The HCCT is a wonderful vintage tool with proven history of performance. It uses Average coil current measured over many sparks as an indirect approximation of coil firing time. In this context, properly adjusted means all 4 coils are adjusted for the same Average current. it is perfectly conceivable to expect coil current to remain unchanged over many Years given the averaging process involved.

In contrast, the dwell time to fire method of coil point adjustment accurately measures the time it takes the coil to fire The First Spark. THE spark responsible for initiating combustion. In this context, adjusted properly means all 4 coils are precisely adjusted to fire spark after the same time. It s perfectly conceivable to expect coil readjustment in 8-10 months of operation with the level of accuracy involved, if not sooner. But the improved engine smoothness and power are typically remarkable.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Hal

Post by Hal » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Damn if it ain't tempting, but I ain't a gonna do it. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic