Completing the picture - history of a Ford sign

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Completing the picture - history of a Ford sign

Post by Terry_007 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Years ago I purchased a fabulous antique tool cabinet full of tools, many of them used on Model Ts. The cabinet was at one time hung on the wall of an old Ford garage in West Manchester Ohio. Little did I realize when I purchased that cabinet, there was a cardboard sign tacked onto the back of it advertising the H.A. Geeting Ford Garage in West Manchester Ohio. The old cabinet is proudly mounted on the wall in my re-created old auto parts store. The sign, framed and on the wall. This past week, while driving home from the AACA Annual Grand National meet in Auburn Indiana, I ventured a bit off-course specifically to get a photo of the old garage it came from. I'm going to print out the photo, frame it, and display it along side the old sign. A quick internet search revealed that H.A. Getting was reputed to be one of the oldest Ford dealers in Ohio. It was a fabulous place, but unfortunately I could not get into the old building to see if anything remained. I fear the building will not be around much longer. Although it is a small community that time seems to have by-passed, the basement is full of water. Glad to have had the chance to stop and get the pic though.
Terry
Attachments
Model T tool cabinet.jpg
Model T tool cabinet.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
H.A.Geetng sign.jpg
Geeting auto 2.jpg

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Re: Completing the picture - history of a Ford sign

Post by Jim, Sr. » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:30 pm

H.A. Geeting Auto Company was appointed as a FORD dealer in West Manchester, Ohio on October 15, 1914.
They were still a FORD dealer in February, 1951, but I do not know when they ended being a dealer.
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:09 am

Great stuff.
Thanks
Rich
When did I do that?

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:10 am

So cool.

My dream has always been to renovate and live in an old place like that.
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:24 am

How many of us could fill every square inch with T parts and cars ?? :roll: :lol:
Not far from Richmond, make it a tour stop next year...

Topic author
Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:22 pm

See if someone in the area can contact the owner of the building and get in for some inside photos. It seems to be currently being used - saw a couple of trucks parked out back. It may be storage or a repair shop for a local car collector. It was a quiet Sunday when we went past there and nobody was around. We were pressed for time so didn't look around much or try to contact anyone living nearby. I believe the local historical society (Preble County) has some info and additional early period photos. Geeting owned at 1903 Ford which was loaned for display in 2018 at Richmond. Believe that car is currently displayed at the historical society. I posted this on the AACA discussion forum also and have a few replies there.
Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic