Using modern part replacements

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeff5015
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Schroeder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50300
MTFCI Number: 87
Board Member Since: 2019

Using modern part replacements

Post by Jeff5015 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm

First of all I am kind of a purist. I have a 16 T with a 24 engine so I don't have to crank it. But, I have the 16 engine in the garage and everything is undoable to bring it as close to a true 16 as possible. Having said that I guess I have one foot in both camps.

I am wondering if any of you have installed "The Ideal Timer"? I'm sure you know it's a replacement for the stock timer with electronics.
You can get it with the coil and magneto tester.

I am considering putting this on my 24 engine for recreation.

Please let me know what you think. I value the input I will get from you guys.

Thanks,

Jeff Schroeder
1916 Touring

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Re: Using modern part replacements

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm

I have two I timers. I drive a lot. They don't need oil or cleaning. No problems!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Rod
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1910 Tourabout, 1913 Touring, 1924 Depot Hack
MTFCA Number: 31464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 173
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Rod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:41 pm

I highly recommend the I Timer. I put one on my 24 Depot Hack after this summer's Home Coming. The advantage is that it acts exactly as a regular timer, requiring the mechanical adjustment of the advancer on the steering column. It does not ever require cleaning or replacement parts. I did purchase the entire package, including the tester. I am very satisfied with this product. Even though the directions say that it will not start on Mag, my system is 12 volt and it does start on both Mag and Battery.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I don't have an "I-Timer", but I do have an "E-Timer" - which in appearance, and in terms of wiring and installation, is the same. The difference is it works on battery only - which suits me because I don't have a magneto.
What I like is that everything looks totally original; the timer built into the housing of a roller timer. No wiring changes were required, and to switch back to a mechanical timer requires nothing but swapping the actual timer over. I don't even have to open the coil box. (For those E-Timer owners who query that, I've set the coils up so the points are still active). I also run it with manual timing adjustment.
The best thing of course is that the timing will always remain perfect with no mechanical contacts to wear and cause a change in characteristic over time. And, ultimately, the perfect timing and lack of contact bounce results in noticeably better driving performance. Smoother across the entire rev range, and particularly at low revs - which means staying in top gear longer.
Highly recommended, and you'll find the product support first rate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic