Forum Security Concern

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Don D
First Name: Don
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Forum Security Concern

Post by Don D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 pm

This new forum is a great, new, user friendly way for members of our hobby to connect, share information, and help one another. The other side of the coin is because it is new to all of us we need to become familiar with it and potential pitfalls of its use.

Two examples of this is at the end of each post is the following:
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: (XXXXX, ?????) and 15 guests Who are these guests?

Additionally our profiles provide information we may not intend to broadcast. A friend listed he owned 10 Model T Fords. I called my friend and asked it he intended to list this? I also indicated if I were fishing to steal a truck load of T's he would be my target. We laughed and he deleted this info from his profile.

Because this forum is new I am asking our members to be aware of what you list so you do not open yourself or your family to being a potential victim of those who don't know the meaning of the word respect.

Thank you to all who have made this new forum available for our free use. We are all free to post what we care to share.

Have a great day,
Dom

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: Forum Security Concern

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:54 pm

There is alot there for a general passerby to see for sure.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks Dom! Good advice.

Hank

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 am

yes DOM , that is good advice, but with the electronics to day you cant hide, last week i advertised in a local market place, it said in the instructions NOT TO GIVE YOUR PHONE# 0r address, all information will go through them ,the system looked bullet proof, spoke to two responds, no problem, the phone rings 630 am, caller from N-Y. one i did not speak with, he N did up buying what i had advertised,took him 5 hours to get here, asked him how he got my phone number, GOOGLED IT AND TOOK A CHANCE IT WOULD BE ME THE NAME CAME UP WITH THE TOWN WHERE I LIVE ,SO TOO MUCH IS LOCATED IN A MACHINE WITH A MIND THAT REMEMBERS EVERY THING NO MATTER HOW OLD. BE CAREFUL WITCH ADD THAT YOU RESPOND TO FROM YOUR MAIL BOX, BECAUSE THEY SELL YOUR INFORMATION, AND YOU END UP WITH A BOX FULL OF TRASH, AND YOU CANT STOP IT, MAKES ME SICK WHEN I THINK OF HOW IT WAS, A MAIL BOX WAS FOR MAIL.

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:00 am

-Dom-
Most T guys are straight-forward & honest. Like others, I also like my privacy..... NO SOCIAL MEDIA, EVER for me! But Google and Facebook probably already know more about me than I'd want them to!!! Still, be careful about providing information you'd prefer to not be generally known, like your address, vacations, hospital stays, away from home times, etc. Use logic & common sense.
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

ModelTSpeedster
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Speedster, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Roadster, 1926 TT, 1923 boattail (project)
MTFCA Number: 7352

Post by ModelTSpeedster » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 am

The other security concern that needs to be addressed is the entire MTFCA website needs to have the SSL certificates to eliminate the warning we all receive on the address line that the site is "Not Secure".
If you visit other websites like the MTFCI, you will see their address line begins with "https://", which indicates it is a secure site and less prone to hackers.
Maintaining security on a website is a lot of work, as hackers are always working on ways to steal your information. Chris is doing a great job and does not have it easy.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 am

All of my stuff is a little "off" if you will. Google my name and youll get sme unsuspecting bloke but not me. Trusting to a point I guess.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by ChrisB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 am

There is an SSL Certificate on our site we are just not pointing to it.

I changed a couple of links on the old forum but if you have saved a new link you will have to change it.

https://www.modeltfordclubofamerica.com ... um.php?f=1
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

ModelTSpeedster
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Speedster, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Roadster, 1926 TT, 1923 boattail (project)

Post by ModelTSpeedster » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 am

Thank you, Chris!
I appreciate your efforts and very much enjoy the new Forum!
RB

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")

Post by Marv K » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks, Chris!
I've now deleted the previous link for the new site, replacing that 'bookmark' with the new link. Works fine with the "https" connection, and the "Not Secure" notification doesn't appear. Appreciating all your attention to the details.
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am

Thank you Chris doing this all work for us. We are really lucky having you involved. It is very appreciated.

All the very best,

Mario
;)
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Today I received an email from Chris telling me that my MTFCA information has been hacked and am I the person that requested a new password to my account. Why would anyone go through all that trouble when all my information is available on my profile without having to log in. On top of that no matter what I tried to do today, logged in or not, nothing worked like my account was frozen or something. Even though I was happy with the old format I am getting used to the new and finding new and exciting things that are advantages and hopefully more secure than the old. Thank You Chris.
Frank

jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Post by jagiven » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Not all guests are passerbys. Depending on which device I am on, I show up as a guest. Only my work PC which has very strong security, remembers my login. Both my phone and tablet, I log on everytime I want to post something, hence I'm a guest.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Randy,

I do not see how to send you a PM. Looking at your posts and looking at the title of this posting, I
would suggest that you remove your cars from the signature line. Anyone looking at your post would
think, 'This guy has a lot of good cars, so he has a good garage to break in to'. I do not want to see
your name in a post stating 'Stolen Model t'.

ModelTSpeedster

Post by ModelTSpeedster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 am

David,
Thank you for the heads up. There are lots of lurkers in this world, looking to take advantage of folks who were raised to be trusting and who look for the best in others.
I have edited my signature line and will come up with something else to put in its place.
I'm really liking our new format but have yet to master many of its features, like the PM function. Also, I do not see a way to attach photos when attempting to send a message or post a reply to a message.
Thanks again.
RB

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am

Guess we should all keep our cars locked in the garage and never take them out, lest someone follows us home to see where we live.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic