Oils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JimDix
First Name: James F
Last Name: Dix
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1921 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 7082
MTFCI Number: 14604

Oils

Post by JimDix » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:20 am

All of a sudden you can't buy oils like Pennzoil 10W-30

It seems that oils were no longer adequate for engines
with turbochargers, etc. so they have changed the spec
and the only oils available are synthetic and rated for
your turbocharger.

None of my antiques have a turbocharger. But soon I
guess I'll be buying oil as if it did.

Is there a down side to this for OLD slow engines?

tdumas
First Name: Ted
Last Name: Dumas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe, 1924 Touring
MTFCI Number: 20999

Re: Oils

Post by tdumas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:57 am

If what you say is correct, then I would use 15-40 Diesel engine oil.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:50 am

I agree with Ted. Start using Rotella and you can't go wrong. It doesn't care if its in a gas engine. I've used it for years in gas engines with no problem.

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 am

The more I see these oil threads come up, the more I think someone could do pretty well for themselves selling T oil.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:06 am

Tiger Tim wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 am
The more I see these oil threads come up, the more I think someone could do pretty well for themselves selling T oil.
Hummm... :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_4190.JPG
IMG_4190.JPG (71.03 KiB) Viewed 8168 times

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:45 am

When I find the rare gallon jug of straight weight oil I grab it, but it's getting difficult to find. 60 and 70 Wt is even worse.

If it's not "full synthetic" (ha ha ha) sewing machine oil or "15-40 Diesel Oil" then you don't need it, as it's not "low emissions compliant"...

That's OK, wait 10 years, and they'll have outlawed gasoline...

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:23 pm

yep, good old dino-based 15-40 oil for diesels (CG-4 and up) is fine for T’s, and it is available just about everywhere. Walmart sells gallons for around $10.00. I’ve got a Suburban with a 6.5L turbo-diesel. No extended maintenance schedule for that engine, so I go with the whatever is on sale at Walmart (Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc.) to do the 8 qt oil change every 2500 miles. Synthetic would just drive the cost up. That said, I think that they usually have gallons of regular dino 10-30 pretty cheap too.

My VW tdi Sportwagen is much pickier about oil (and other fluids). I buy all of my maintenance supplies for that car online where I can find exactly what I’m looking for and cheaper than any of it locally, in the rare event that I can find any of it outside the dealership.

Keep cranking,
Eric

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Auntie Chatter.jpg
If you can't find this you can get plain old 10W-30 or 10W-40 at Walmart. Their house brand is least expensive.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:16 pm

The vehicle regulators figure that if they can't outlaw the vehicles they will just outlaw the necessary fluids and get them of the road that way.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:24 pm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Con ... /134051886

Thomas

that may be true where you live, but not in America.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

46woodduck

Post by 46woodduck » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 am

Not in America, but in the Peoples Republic of California they have been doing stuff like this for years. There are many products (paints, glues etc.) that you can buy in the rest of our country that you cannot have shipped into our state, companies cannot even have in their warehouses and if you go out of the state and buy them, you can't legally bring into the state.

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:27 am

You might try buying on line, they'll let you know if they can send it to your state.
Also check on Motorcycle oils Some of those was are still avail.

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 am

Just put a sponge on the garage floor and squeeze it to recycle. :oops:
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:48 am

If somebody started selling oil that’s says it designed for Model T engines and it has a picture of Henry Ford in a T on the can people would pay 10.00 or more a quart for it because it’s supposed to be original.

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Wasn't going to get into this "OIL" discussion, because it seems to come up, over, and over,and OVER, again and again and AGAIN, and nothing is ever resolved! In my opinion, (which is probably pretty worthless, but here it is anyway) nothing is ever really resolved because everybody has their own personal opinion, and seldom if ever is it based on solid, factual, and scientifically proven information!

And to add my opinion to what John K. just wrote (and which I agree with) I think if somebody actually did (or had professionally done) the necessary research to determine what really "REALLY" is the best oil for Model T Fords, what I think would eventually happen is what I think (more personal opinion) is this:

Somebody would actually begin marketing this scientifically proven "BEST" oil for Model T's, with the true spirit of actually trying to benefit the Model T "community", and then, perhaps since this new business will have changed ownership at least once, and maybe two or more times, the thought would gradually change from one of trying to actually benefit the Model T community, to the the main thought changing to one of how to make as much money as possible from this "oil distribution" business. Just like what has so often happened with what started out to be a really good quality replacement Model T part.

The "business" gradually changes from making and/or selling a really good quality part, to a part that is made more "inexpensively" (read CHEAP) to one of, well, this can be made cheaper, but will work just as good, and then,....well, we can make this cheaper and make more $$$ and if it works for at least awhile, nobody will notice right away, and then eventually, who cares how well it works or how long it will last, because if we can sell enough of 'em, we'll make a "bundle" and who cares what the buyers think!

And in the case of motor oil, the same thing would probably happen. A really good product will eventually turn into a product that will be comparable to Wallmarts cheapest "API" approved" motor oil, and we'll be right back where we started! Nothing really "resolved" and we'll all still be arguing about which oil is best! FWIW,.....harold

.....oh, and just one more thing, and then I'll shut up! One thing that will NEVER change, and that adds to this problem of "which oil is best",....so much depends on how you drive your Model T, how often you drive it, how far you drive it, the climate you live in, your driving habits, etc, etc,.....and these "variables" will always exist! O.K.,....ENOUGH! Sorry for the "rant",.....harold

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Thomas

I hope you have a really good job, make tons of money, and then move to a free country. It's wonderful!

I've been to CA 3 times out of necessity, and have never figured out the allure given all the negatives (that I percieve). Best Wishes my friend.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I find Valvoline 10W30 at Walmart.
Norm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I should have added conventional oil.
Norm

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 pm

jimdix wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:20 am
All of a sudden you can't buy oils like Pennzoil 10W-30
Maybe your store just isn’t stocking it, but that’s not the case in general. I just bought some Pennzoil 10w-40.
1923 Touring

JEC
First Name: John
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:46 pm

if you can settle for 50 weight Aeroshell aviation oil is available in compounded (detergent) and straight mineral oil.
For some archaic reason it is called Aeroshell 100.
You might look into this.
I use Valvoline Edge or what ever it is called now in my T's. Its expensive but synthetic oil was developed to be used in gas turbine engine bearings which are under more stress and temperature than my T bearings'.

Victor Borg
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Borg
MTFCA Number: 35213

Post by Victor Borg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

I believe the folks that say any old kind of today's oil is most likely superior to what was used in days of yore...I just buy inexpensive oil,heavier in summer,lighter in winter and change it every 25 hours on the hour meter...(ex air force habit doing all maint.by running time).as some wise person wrote a while back,"oil's cheap and engines are not"

Victor Borg
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Borg
MTFCA Number: 35213

Post by Victor Borg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

I believe the folks that say any old kind of today's oil is most likely superior to what was used in days of yore...I just buy inexpensive oil,heavier in summer,lighter in winter and change it every 25 hours on the hour meter...(ex air force habit doing all maint.by running time).as some wise person wrote a while back,"oil's cheap and engines are not"

46woodduck

Post by 46woodduck » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 am

Scott_conger, thanks for the good wishes. No job, I've been retired since 2008. No money, I've been playing with old cars since the late 1950s. Been here in So Califunky since 1951 and unfortunately love the place, just not the politicians. Have a wonderful lady that I married in 1967 and we're still sharing insanity, old cars and good food and beverages. I'm living in a points and condenser world of my own creation and old enough that most folks ignore me. Can't ask for much more than that.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 am

I agree with Victor. Here is why> The "BEST" oil isn't any good if you don't change it. Today's engine oils (detergent) are designed to work with oil filters, that is they put dirt and other deposits in suspension so they can be captured by the filter as oil is PUMPED through the engine. Vintage auto's without filters relied on non-detergent oils to cause the contaminated oil to settle to the bottom of the oil pan. If you have a magneto then you need to be aware that there may be some carbon & metal deposits floating around in the oil. Carbon is a good conductor and if enough clings to your magnets it could cause them to demagnetize (a possibility not a probability). The choice of OIL viscosity is mostly dependent on temperature conditions when starting than anything else. As a general rule the higher viscosity the better but If you can't crank your T in cold temperatures then the oil is too think and a lower viscosity is needed. I had a car once (not a T) where I changed from 30W t0 20W at the start of winter, a few days later it unexpectedly got down to 10 degrees, the engine would not turn over. Two days later I was able to start it and changed it again with 5W for the remained of the winter (temperatures coud get down to 20 below).
Bottom line - don't waste your money with expensive oil. Change as mileage and seasonality dictate, AND every few years drop the the crankcase pan to clean out any sludge buildup. Also its a good idea to use a transmission oil screen that contains a magnet to capture metal deposits and clean that periodically as well. So lets call all this practice "Good Engine Hygiene"
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic