Demountable Rims - When were they standard equipment?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Craig Correll
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Correll
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19085
MTFCI Number: 22225

Demountable Rims - When were they standard equipment?

Post by Craig Correll » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 pm

I recently had a question come up from a colleague that stumped me. How early did Ford supply T's with demountable rims? The McCalley book indicates that the period 1919 through 1924 there were several demountable rim set-ups available, but were some stock or were they all options or dealer equipped? McCalley indicates that by 1926 all T's came with demountables as standard equipment.
1914 Touring
1912 Michigan Model K - restoration website: www.michiganmotorcar.com
1964 Unimog TLF-8

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Re: Demountable Rims - When were they standard equipment?

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:58 pm

It's the same answer as the starter package. Demountable rims were available from 1919 as an extra, but they weren't included on every car until 1926. There were various 23-inch rim variations, and I can't remember what's what, but it's all in the McCalley Encyclopedia. And then of course, 21-inch split rims were an option in enclosed cars in 1925 and standard on everything in 1926.

Note that from the mid Teens on, there were aftermarket demountable rims available for T as well.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:54 am

As I recall, (which can be very suspect!), there was an option in '26-'27 on the open cars (maybe closed cars too?, don't know) that they could be had without starter, generator, or demountable rims, and had steel felloe nondemountable wheels (?) and came with oil cowl and taillights. There was an article in one of the club magazines several years ago, maybe in the '90's, about a roadster that was found and restored by one of the most knowledgeable T guys, can't recall his name, and it was very rare. Anyone remember that? I think it was awarded an award, maybe a Stynosky ? Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:28 am

I did some trading years ago on a '26 Tudor. It had 3 1/2x30 non-demountable large drum rear wheels and block off plates on the starter and generator late block engine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic