Dan Killecut - Anybody Heard From Him?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Dan Killecut - Anybody Heard From Him?

Post by Tim Rogers » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am

Has anybody heard from my fellow New Yorker Dan Killecut? Seems like he has been absent from the forum for quite some time. I have always enjoyed his posts- hope all is well.
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Dan Killecut - Anybody Heard From Him?

Post by KeithG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm

I talked with Ellen (Dan's Wife) at Hershey (I think Dan was out shopping) and they're not happy with our Forum. I wouldn't doubt that they're lurking here though.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Topic author
Tim Rogers

Post by Tim Rogers » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Thanks but sorry to hear that. I liked viewing his posts about restorations and his photos of his travels.
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Glad to hear that Dan is OK, but sorry to hear that he is not happy with the forum. I really appreciated his comments, stories and expert advice here over the years.

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Yes, I enjoy reading Dan's posts. Always looking for the next installment of the grandkids adventures.

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Hmm,.....Sure glad to hear that the Kellecuts are O.K. as I too have enjoyed their posts in the past. In fact, having met them at Chickasha, and corresponded with them on the old forum and with "PM"s, I have to say that of all the good folks in the hobby, they just don't come any better than Dan & Ellen Kellecut!

As far as their dissatisfaction with the forum, I can relate!!! I was very happy with the old one too, however, I can understand that the change would not have been made if not necessary, however, generally speaking, nobody likes "CHANGE", and I'm one of the worst in that regard! I am determined to keep "fumbling around" here on the forum until I get more comfortable with it, be so far, it isn't happening for me! And I will freely admit that this "computer stuff" is just not "my thing", and I struggle with "ANYTHING" more complicated than a simple E-mail. Here's what I seem to have trouble with:

Every time I open up the forum, it seems that I just don't know where to start! I'm sure it's because I'm using the forum wrong, but when I open it up, I can't tell what's new, what's old, what I read last, which of the "QUICK LINKS" to use first, etc, etc, and I sure don't understand how to use (or interpret) all of the symbols and colors (some are red, some are blue) etc, etc, and frankly, I just don't "GET IT"! I've even studied that list of symbols in an effort to know what each one means, but as simple as it seems at that time, by the next time I open up the forum, I can't remember what they mean. I guess being pretty well into my 78th year is no doubt, most of my problem, right?

So Dan, if you're reading any of this,....well,.... rest assured,.....you're not the only one that was much happier with the old forum, but by golly,.....I'm gonna' keep "fumbling around" until hopefully, it slowly begins to make more sense to me,......harold

HaroldRJr

Post by HaroldRJr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Actually, this might be a good place to ask about something else I don't understand:

Near the beginning of each topic title, or subject title, is a little symbol, icon, whatever, that looks like a little picture of a red piece of paper with the upper right hand corner folded over, or "dogeared". So what does THAT mean? And sometimes, there a little "paper clip" under the little red piece of dogeared paper,....I don't know what THAT means either, or where to find out! Could anybody maybe 'splain any of this to help me? Thanks in advance,....harold (:^) (.....I'm gonna' get the hang of this yet....! (:^)

Bob Williams
First Name: Bobby
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Bob Williams » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm

HaroldRJr wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:17 pm
Near the beginning of each topic title, or subject title, is a little symbol, icon, whatever, that looks like a little picture of a red piece of paper with the upper right hand corner folded over, or "dogeared". So what does THAT mean?
If it’s red it’s an unread post if faded you have read it.
HaroldRJr wrote:
And sometimes, there a little "paper clip" under the little red piece of dogeared paper,....I don't know what THAT means either, or where to find out! Could anybody maybe 'splain any of this to help me? Thanks in advance,....harold (:^) (.....I'm gonna' get the hang of this yet....! (:^)
That means the post contains pictures.

KeithG
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring

Post by KeithG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 pm

BTW, If you'd like to contact Dan or Ellen, Ellen is a member of the MTFCI Board of Directors and her email address and phone number are given in the Model T Times magazine.

Keith

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm

The last time Dan posted anything was in early August, so his dissatisfaction with the forum is unrelated to the new format. I have no clue what the reason may be.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:33 am

I hear from Dan every now and then via regular email. Great guy too!

Bob Solak
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Solak
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: None
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Bob Solak » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm

HaroldRJr wrote:

Near the beginning of each topic title, or subject title, is a little symbol, icon, whatever, that looks like a little picture of a red piece of paper with the upper right hand corner folded over, or "dogeared". So what does THAT mean?
If you click on the little red piece of paper it takes you automatically to the first unread post in that topic.

The idea with all this is to make it easy for us to navigate to things we haven't read yet. The round icon will tell you if anything is new (to you) in that particular topic. At that point you have two choices: 1) click on the round icon, or 2) click on the little red dog-eared icon next to the round one. If you click on the round icon, you are taken to the very first post in that topic. If you click on the little dog-eared icon, you'll get taken to the first post of the topic that you haven't yet seen. It's just a choice of whether you want to scroll all the way down past what you've already read, or get taken straight to the new posts.

If you want to leave the site and you want to make the forum think you've read everything that's currently in it, then you can click on the "Mark Topics Read" link at the very top of the forum. Then everything will go blue, and the next time you log on only the new stuff will be in red.

HaroldRJr

Post by HaroldRJr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Thank you so much Bob Williams for those two explanations, and thank you so much Bob Solak for the detailed explanations,....that helps a lot and I really appreciate it. I'll "GET IT" yet! Thanks again,.....harold

fomocomandan
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Killecut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913, 1914, 1920, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1920 TT, 1925 TT, 1926 tt

Post by fomocomandan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am

First, thank you for the kind words. There were a few reasons why we stopped posting. Two big ones were the suspension of Tim and Freighter Jim. Tim, we and many others thoroughly enjoyed all the photos you were posting. A few didn't and complained, so you were suspended, then reinstated with the stipulation you could only post two photos a day!!!!!!!!! I mean if you don't like a post don't click on it, it's not brain surgery. I don't know what FJ did but it must have been horrible. FJ is one of the nicest guys you will meet in this hobby. He has done more to support this club than most especially for the museum. It was like because of a few complaints the whole forum became politically correct That's not what we want to be part of.
The other thing was in July we went to both clubs national meets. A lot of people are not able to do this so we posted 47 photos ( Tim I'm surprised we weren't suspended) of the meets. Ellen posts all of our photos. She spent the better part of an evening resizing and posting them. We had four responses from people we know. This wasn't the first time this has happened We figured members were not interested in what we were posting, which is okay so we figured why bother posting. We started posting on Model T Ford club of facebook instead and got a lot of response there. It had nothing to do with the new forum at all
I'm still working on the 56 Ford convertible. At Hershey last fall I bought the 26 TT express that Don Lang had there for sale. I bought it for my seven year old grandson . He is doing all the mechanical work on it with only guidance from me. He will be driving it around the farm this summer.
I submitted an artical on it to the Model T Times for an upcoming issue.
If you saw this truck at Hershey, it looks like a barn find. Don told me a guy bought a house in queens (NYC) and found it in the garage after he bought the house.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 am

Hi Dan,

I enjoyed visiting with you & your wife on the last June National Tour.

Hope I see you next month in Sierra Vista.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

KeithG

Post by KeithG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 am

Hi Dan, It's good to see you on the Forum again!
BTW, I really liked the 47 pictures of the 2018 Tours that Ellen posted last summer. I don't remember if I posted a response to them back then.
Also, I must say that I like reading about your restoration projects and your 7 year old Grandson. I'm sure he'll grow up to be a good Model T'er.
Best wishes,

Keith

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by modernbeat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:44 pm

I think the Facebook vs Forum photo appreciation is hard to measure. It's pretty easy to hit that like button on Facebook, and it's expected to make a short, fleeting comment, but on Forums (at least the forums and maillists I've been on since the '90s) you are expected to not comment unless you have something specific to add to the discussion, not just a "like" or "me too".
Jason McDaniel

Topic author
Tim Rogers

Post by Tim Rogers » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 am

Dan- thank you for your kind words of support. I received many PMs of encouragement during that time and it's nice to know you felt the same. I learned that despite how the majority feels about something on the forum it takes only a select few to get you removed. I am appreciative for being allowed back but I have dialed it way back and my posts are being scrutinized. I was also told that I am merely a guest on the forum because I do not belong to the club.

I look forward to your future posts...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic