I hope I found the souce of my thunk thunk thunk engine transmission sound

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave_Kriegel
First Name: David
Last Name: Kriegel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 1926
MTFCA Number: 52627
Board Member Since: 1999

I hope I found the souce of my thunk thunk thunk engine transmission sound

Post by Dave_Kriegel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 pm

I pulled the inspection cover for the transmission looks good. I just installed pistons rings and valves correctly and pinned What I discovered in on the hand crank ( non starter car) there are two retaining bolts, one for the fan pulley connected to the crank and one pin for the hand crank The pin for the pulley drum is now missing What I hope happened is when I was pulling it at 5 MPH to start it when the knunk started is it was the pin working loose and hitting the bottom of the engine :D !!! I hope now to find the correct art number for the missing pin in Snyders Monday ! I hope

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: I hope I found the souce of my thunk thunk thunk engine transmission sound

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 pm

Dave, I would not wait for Snyders to open. It's just a plain pin, drilled to take a split pin to keep it in place. I make mine out of a bolt with enough plain shank. Just cut the head and thread off, drill it for the split pin and you are in business. However, it should be a firm fit in the crankshaft. If yours was loose enough to fall out, you need to deform/bend/strawberry fit and use some Loctite to keep it in place. The split pin is there just to keep it in place. A loose pin may mean an annoying rattle.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic