VIDEO: How to Replace Front Wheel Bearings on Your Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTMitch
First Name: Mitch
Last Name: Taylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Ford Model T touring

VIDEO: How to Replace Front Wheel Bearings on Your Model T

Post by ModelTMitch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:49 am

Hi Fellow Model T'ers

In this video I walk you through step by step how to replace the front wheel bearings on your Model T, from driving out the old bearings to installing the new ones, and the learning curve along the way! :D

:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMbotPkpqMc

25 roadster john
First Name: John
Last Name: Pawlowski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 49635

Re: VIDEO: How to Replace Front Wheel Bearings on Your Model T

Post by 25 roadster john » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

I enjoyed your video and find, at least for me, watching the repair being done is much better than reading the process in a manual. After this video I watched the replacing transmission bands video. It was lacking on how to adjust the bands though. You do have a video on adjusting the bands, however, it only covers the low band adjustment. Will there be a video on the proper procedure to adjust the brake and reverse bands? Also as series of videos on the rebuilding of a rear axle would be amazing.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 pm

John, adjusting the bands on a RHD car is much different to the procedure on a LHD car. On RHD cars only first gear band is adjustable on the inside. I could not tell whether the car in the video is R or LHD. The lack of holes either side of the split in the rim may mean it is a LHD car, as our Canadian sourced RHD cars have rims with holes to accept a special tool to collapse the rim.

Finding ball bearings in a car late enough to have 21" split rim wheels is not usual. Tapered rollers came in well before that, so the changeover as shown is not the usual finding. The method of adjusting the load on the threaded bearings is quite different. Using the cheaper bearings with the slide on collar for the outer bearing makes adjusting the bearings for the correct running fit somewhat easier. With that style of bearing, I wonder what role the notched washer plays, other than to keep it there for later use when threaded bearings may be fitted.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
ModelTMitch
First Name: Mitch
Last Name: Taylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Ford Model T touring

Post by ModelTMitch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:07 am

Hi John,
I do have a video on how to adjust the bands, it's been on my channel for the past two years :D
I know it's limited, but it gives you an idea :) I will have to publish an updated version soon :D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAnyYOvHxc

Enjoy :D
25 roadster john wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm
I enjoyed your video and find, at least for me, watching the repair being done is much better than reading the process in a manual. After this video I watched the replacing transmission bands video. It was lacking on how to adjust the bands though. You do have a video on adjusting the bands, however, it only covers the low band adjustment. Will there be a video on the proper procedure to adjust the brake and reverse bands? Also as series of videos on the rebuilding of a rear axle would be amazing.

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi Mitch,

I love all videos you made. It is really cool and helpfull. Also very nice done. Thank you taking time sharing it with us. I thought a video how to adjust a timer will be cool too.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic