Holley G starting overflow?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Colinwatt
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Watt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Tourer

Holley G starting overflow?

Post by Colinwatt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I happened to have the bonnet (hood) open when I was starting my 1915 Tourer and noticed that, as I turned over the engine (motor) with the choke pulled out, petrol (gas) was coming from the hole underneath the bowl. Looking at diagrams, this seems to be an overflow from the needle and jet. It looks like the pistons are pulling in too much fuel which rises above the overflow hole. Is this normal or am I cranking too much? (4 pulls). Otherwise the engine runs well.
Colin (UK)

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: Holley G starting overflow?

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:51 pm

I'd say it's not "abnormal" . . . perhaps you are choking too much; all T's respond differently, but two pulls "cold" in summer weather is adequate to start my '13 with the Holley G carb. In cold weather, three or four might be required. Perhaps your float level is set a wee bit too generous ? You can see the "puddle" in the main jet seat by removing the three screws and cover which holds the needle; there should be roughly 1/16" of fuel covering the end of the "strangling tube". Back the needle out several turns before removing and replacing the cover, otherwise the operation may damage the needle and/or seat. If all is well, I wouldn't be too concerned. I have always had good results with the Holley G !
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic