Wheel bearings.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

Wheel bearings.

Post by Art Ebeling » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:40 pm

My Oct 11 built Touring came with rebuilt wheels but no wheel bearings. I have read a few past posts about the early hubs being of thinner material and a danger of splitting when roller bearing races are pressed in. Should this be a concern and do you recommend the roller bearings for this application? Ball bearings would be ok but I can not find the inner stationary cones. Thanks, Art

ModelTMitch
First Name: Mitch
Last Name: Taylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Ford Model T touring

Re: Wheel bearings.

Post by ModelTMitch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 am

If I may be so bold as to share my video :)

"Ford Model T - How to Replace Front Wheel Bearings"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMbotPkpqMc

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 am

When a newbie 40yrs ago I forced my roller brgs in and split the hubs, which I didn't notice until I tried to fit new hubcaps. You find split hubcaps at swap meets which I suspect have been forced onto split hubs.

Some years ago I read the suggestion that you grind the outside of the race until is a nice sliding fit and use Loctite. Sounds sensible to me. The same chap also did this with spindle bolt bushes - honed them to a nice fit on the bolt, ground the outside, then assembled with Loctite.

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:50 am

Thanks for the replies. Mitch, I watched your video last weekend! I do prefer to keep all things original and have placed a WTB ad in the parts section. Art

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am

What I don't understand is Mitch's 25 T had ball bearings in the front hubs. If ball bearings fit later hubs, how is it that later roller bearings don't fit hubs which had ball bearings? I suspect it is not the bearing fit which may cause split early front hubs, rather the hubs are thinner and weaker regardless of the bearing type used. The 26-7 wire wheel hubs suffer a similar affliction. That is not to say some hubs are not tighter than others.

Jem, the split hubcaps are plentiful. It is likely that they were not stress relieved/annealed after manufacture, much like headlight spinnings on brass lamps. The deeper and more complex the parts, the more attention is needed to anneal them when the work is done.

I could be wrong again.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 am

it appears that I have two different front hubs. One is of thicker construction with grooves in the inner and outer race areas. The other is of thinner construction, slightly shorter and no grooves and appears to be slightly egg shaped on the outer edge. Both were rebuilt and painted when I got them. What do I have and what would you recommend? Art
Attachments
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG

dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by dykker5502 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 am

The lower one still has the outer race of the bearing in the hub. Hence the difference.
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks fo pointing that out. Art

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am

Art, if by grooves you mean notches for driving out bearing cups, that hub is a later one made for Timken bearings. The ball bearing cups are wider and you don't need a notch to drive them out. When I made the front wheels for my 1915 (had Noah Stutzman make them) I used 1917-1918 hubs because they are heavier duty but still have the machined flange for a speedometer gear. They were made for ball bearings, but I added notches and used Timkens. The heavier hubs did not split. I don't hold out a lot of hope for your WTB ad. Some ball bearing parts are readily available, but others are made of unobtainium. That's the main reason I used the roller bearings.

IMG_1043 copy.JPG
Cutting notches for Timken bearings.

IMG_1044 copy.JPG
Checking notch depth. The stick shows that a drift pin will be able to reach a roller bearing cup.

Bearings, Front Wheel.jpg
Bearings, Front Wheel.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
If you have no luck with the ball bearings and want to go with rollers, these are the numbers. The best prices are usually at Rock Auto.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 am

If you have early hubs in good condition, which can be difficult, I would use ball bearings. The inners are hard to find.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic