Another car on the road!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Another car on the road!

Post by Jeepbone1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 am

The work of my uncle and I over the past 14 months has come to fruition. As some of you may know, this novice T owner and been building his first T. I started wit literally nothing but a financial mistake of a 71 Jeepster Commando that I pulled from a friends back yard and brought back from the dead. After I got a quote from a few body shops that pretty much told me that they didn’t want to touch the jeep, I decided to sell it and start the journey of building a “budget build” Model T. I’ve gotten parts and guidance from MANY very generous people along the way. Y’all have entertained my many questions and given countless bits of information and tips along the way. I finally settled in the speedster style not only because they’re dead simple but because it was the “easiest” body for me to fabricate. Anyone can go out and buy a project car and make it road worthy but you really don’t get the satisfaction of doing ALL the work yourself. I’ve since torn many engines and axles apart and rebuilding to make mine work robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak. I’ve acquired specialty tools and equipment I never knew existed. I’ve had more fun throughout this journey than anyone on this earth deserves. I haven’t had the luxury of just buying everything but had to make what I had work. From building a magnet charger to making an electrolysis tank to remove rust from engine parts. I finally got the car running last week only to have to pull the engine to fix a few things. All done now, the car made its maiden voyage two days ago to a local minor league baseball game and it made it back and forth to work for the last two days. I am now a firm believer that every new T owner should absolutely know every in and out of the running gear and chassis to be a completely competent driver and now know that one seemingly simple thing can make one step back ruin four steps forward. Live and learn. The car is now mechanically sound and will be completely dependable with a few “break in” adjustments. I’ll let it be known that I am 22 and just entering this hobby with no plan of stopping and taking every advantage to move forward. There are still young people who care and want nothing but for these cars to be preserved and for them to keep running for another 110 years and I have every intention to do my darndest to make sure my car and future cars make it. This is the first of hopefully many T’s in my collection and I plan to drive them until I’m no longer able. There’s a few more things to add to my speedster to complete it then afterwards we’ll start another! Now I just have to find a place to store all of these parts and pieces. Some have said that once you have one, they multiply. Well, now there’s enough parts in my collection for almost 2 more full chassis’s! Only time can tell. Here’s to one more car one the road that very well could be weathering away to nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/10001138581584 ... PW&sfns=mo

Brad.
Attachments
4B07CA94-4C51-47E3-9AD0-489129D58B1F.jpeg

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Another car on the road!

Post by DHort » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 am

Way to go Brad. Have lots of fun.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 am

I know quite a few people (including ME!) that began that way more than fifty years ago, and are still at it!

Enjoy!

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:57 am

That's awesome Brad....congratulations!

I've been on a similar path with the crusty 24 Touring I bought 2 1/2 years ago. It'll be a runner very soon. And you're right, it's great to have the knowledge that comes from having been through the car from stem to stern.
1924 Touring

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:35 am

You have been bitten! I know because I was bitten a few years ago. You are correct on knowing your car top to bottom. I have my TT ( two years work) on the road 3 days now working little bugs out. This morning on the way to town running on battery it died, just like I turned the key off. A few second paased as I thought about why. I switched to mag and BANG! It backfired anf took off. I thought over breakfast on what it could be. When I came out I went to the battery and neg cable was loose. No tools with me I twisted it fired up on battery and drove home.

You need to think of going to the Old Car Festival in Dearborn. They have a speedster class and you cant have more fun for $25 entry fee. There were several young people there last year enjoying their cars as much as possible. I am 50 yrs old but feel the same as you about the model T community . Not a greatrr bunch of people in the world. Alway ready to give adbice or help in any way they can. Glad to hear you enjoying it also. Keep us posted on your fun.

Topic author
Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Jeepbone1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:13 pm

Rest assured that if there’s gas in the tank then I’ll probably be driving the brakes off this car!!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:25 am

Excellent. That's far nicer looking than the rusty junk I started with 20 years ago. It's still rusty.
Oh wait, that doesn't matter. I was THEN and you are NOW driving our first model T's!!!
Yeehaw!
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic