6 or 12 volts when converting to a starter hogshead?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

6 or 12 volts when converting to a starter hogshead?

Post by Sarikatime » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:14 pm

I want to take off the aluminum hogshead and convert to a starter. Do I make a 6 volt system or a12 volt. I know this has been discussed in detail before, but, should I buy 6 or 12 volt converted starter. Lighting and accessories would work better on 12 volts but would kill my bendix after a while. Most us old farts would rather just turn a key, myself included, but what is your opinion? Would it lower value or desirebility if I want to sell the car?
Please chime in, would appreciate your thoughts.
Frank

PDGx
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Grohsmeyer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘17 TT Holmes Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 27359
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: 6 or 12 volts when converting to a starter hogshead?

Post by PDGx » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:25 pm

I’d keep it 6volt. Everything you need is available in 6v including led bulbs if you want.
Don’t think 12v gets you anything but conversion problems and ‘why did you do that ?’ questions.
Just my opinion.
If my short term memory gets any shorter, I won’t even have thought about what I’m going to forget.

17 TT Holmes Wrecker
22 Mack AC Tiltbed Wkr
30 A Rdstr PU
58 Mack B-61 Semi Tractor

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:33 pm

A six volt starter is perfectly adequate. Until car makers started adding lots of electrical accessories in the 1950's, that's what most cars had. My six volt vehicles start easily and instantly. Twelve volts may be a reason for accessories or better lighting, but not for starting. For brighter lights you can use a 12 volt battery and bulbs, install a 6-12 volt converter and 12 volt bulbs, or convert to 6 volt LED. For a pre-starter car I would go with a six volt battery, a magneto charger, and six volt LED's. The car will have non-original starting, so it might as well have non-original lights too. Just keep everything so the next owner can go original if he wants.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:15 pm

I agree absolutely to keep things 6 volt. The PO of my car converted to 12 volts but kept the 6 volt starter. He ran it that way for years and I’ve been running it for 6 years so far with no problem with the starter or starter drive.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Agree with others, stay 6 volt.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Six is standard. If you have a generator it is also made for 6 and the lights are 6 volts. If you don't have a generator, then you can use anything you want. However, you should have a starter wound for 12 volts. The six volt starter will slam the flywheel too hard and lead to problems with the bendix.
Norm

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:28 pm

3rd choice is all 6 volt system and a 8 volt battery, I have 4 T's with 8 volt batteries, 3 with gen's and 1 with mag charger. also another T that's 12 volt with a mag charger. All have been faultless. no broken bendix's or even a blown globe.

FordFool
First Name: Don
Last Name: Kirtley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 and 16 touring, 18 and 20 coup, 20 tudor
MTFCA Number: 23703
MTFCI Number: 23153
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by FordFool » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:38 pm

I agree with Kerry. I use 8v batteries also. No problems at all just adjust the 3rd brush in your generator. No need to change lamps or anything. Don

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 pm

After priming, my '13 started on compression today, so why do you even need a starter? Leave it the way Ford built it!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Would it lower value or desirebility if I want to sell the car?

The answers so far have mostly dealt with technical issues. The answer to this part of the question is a qualified yes. Some prospective buyers want original and this kind of "upgrade" will put them off. But others are too physically afflicted to pull a crank anymore, and will appreciate the starter. And there's a third group who won't care either way. As much as I prefer originality in major features like this, I suspect the second and third groups outnumber the first.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 am

I ran a 6v starter on 12v for my speedster for years without a problem. My Mom's speedster has been running a 6v starter on her speedster at 12v for almost 40 years. It is convenient having a 12v battery if you drive frequently should something happen. Say you stop at a store and someone gets in your car and flips the lights on in the process of trying to take a picture. No problem getting a jump if you are running 12v . . .12v you can wire in a USB to keep that phone charged or whatever. As far as keeping it original by changing to electric start it's no longer original anyway. I suppose it depends on Your use, if you are around others and have 6v availability driving infrequently then yes 6v may be best. Personally I drive frequently (38 Lincoln converted to 12v) and would hate to have to wait for something as silly as a light bulb to arrive. Being able to turn on the light switch and see like a new car is worth it to me. I found LED lights that fit into the original sockets and they do shine with almost no power draw.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:26 am

I’m currently in the process of doing the exact same conversion on a 1912 T that is in a Motor Museum. They claim the vehicle
will be used a great deal more on runs if a starter is fitted. (The art of cranking is an issue to some)
I too decided to stay with 6 Volts as I have never had an issue with my 1926 standard electrics. Besides, if in the most unlikely event you had to go 12 volts you can install a resistor in the starter circuit to drop the voltage down to around 6V.
Just my experience. Alan

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:22 am

Sorry to go against the grain on this one but once a starter is added to an early car it is no longer “correct”....
So why not make it convenient and easy to drive and maintain. When customer come to me asking to add a starter, convenience is what they really want. So I add the ring gear on the flywheel, a twelve volt starter, a belt driven alternator and a easy to purchase group 40 battery. Often they want to get rid of the coils and I add reliable distributor or an electronic commutator.
Once it’s not original, who cares. My own 1914 which I drive everywhere actually has a 24 motor and full twelve volt system complete with USB port 😊. It’s a great fun car.
About the resale value, most early Ts have been modified and as such are worth what someone will pay. I would suspect than less than 1% of 1914 cars are “original”. There is one in the San Diego club and it’s only been driven a couple of times in the last twenty five years. Where is the fun in that?
Make it what YOU want and then enjoy it to the fullest.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Frank; Having been into everything from stock Model T's and A's, to Model T speedsters, to pre 1948 street rod's, I think that Tony is messing with us a little, but he does have a point about making the car what you want, to enjoy it most. In the early to mid 1920's many early brass Model T's that were still in use had later Model T engines installed with the 6 volt starters and generators, but they were still Model T's and drove like Model T's. If your budget allows you could rebuild a later Model T engine and keep the early engine to go with the car if you sell it. If a 2nd engine is not possible and your car already has the starter type transmission keep the starter on 6 volts for starting and run the stock coils on mag, it still drives like a Model T. If you have a nonstarter type T flywheel there is a lot of labor involved and your budget will dictate which way to go. Now if you are going to make annual 3 thousand mile coast to coast and back trips over the next 5 years, there is a lot to be said about a late 1926-27 closed T with a 302 engine, AOD auto trans, power rack & pinon steering, 4 wheel disk brakes and air conditioning. I am just kidding with the last line.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic