Western Auto Supply “Wizard” spark plugs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tselliott
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Mercury speedster replica, 1923 speedster

Western Auto Supply “Wizard” spark plugs

Post by tselliott » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:16 pm

I’m am looking for opinions about “Wizard” spark plugs.
I have a box of NOS plugs and want to know what others experiences are with them.
I will be running them in a speedster that has electronic ignition and also wondering what I should gap them at.
Thanks,
Scott Elliott
Wizard 1
Wizard 1
Wizard 1
Wizard 1
Attachments
Wizard 2
Wizard 2

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Western Auto Supply “Wizard” spark plugs

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:35 pm

I have a set of Wizard spark plugs that my Grandfather used in his 24 Coupe for years.
When I restored my 21 Touring a few years ago I installed the set of Wizards in it and they ran like a champ. Seems like I gapped them .025 with no issues. The ones I have are one piece and not take apart. Just wondering if these are one piece also. Don’t know if Wizard had any takeapart plugs.
Haven’t seen any NOS before. Neat.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:40 pm

No Wizard experience here, but I have tried some NOS plugs. I found some are fine, and others fresh from the box were no good. If you don't have a tester to check them, the only other test I know is to put them in a car and see if they work, and how well.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

26TRoadster
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Lloid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster/ 26 RPU/ 26 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by 26TRoadster » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:44 pm

I had old NOS Firestone plugs IN MY 27 and they never ran good. I put repop champions in and they look and run great.

Topic author
tselliott
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Mercury speedster replica, 1923 speedster

Post by tselliott » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 am

Yes, these are one piece plugs. I put them in and went for a drive. Wow, I love these plugs. I was using Champions before which were good but needed cleaning. I hope these Wizards stand the test on time.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:38 am

While I certainly understand the attraction of running NOS plugs, it seems to me that there used to be so many of them, boxes and boxes would show up at swap meets. So many of them have become used plugs in the past forty years that they just don't seem all that common anymore. I think of these in the same way I used to think of unrestored truly original cars. They should be cared for and maintained as what they are, an intact original artifact. Most people in the hobby were buying the best original cars they could find and restoring those. Somehow they figured they got a better car than they could get by restoring a car that actually needed restoration. Now, these days, nice, truly original cars are few and far between. Cars that really should be restored are being preserved by people simply because they can't find a better original anymore. Too many people figured it out a bit too late.
I have a dozen or so NOS plugs, most in their original boxes. They will stay in the display case, or carefully packed away as long as I live, so that someone in the future may be able to appreciate them.

But, that is me.

At least save and preserve the original boxes.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 am

Here is a photo of the Wizard plugs that were in my Grandfathers 24 Coupe when I inherited it in 1958. They still work great. I later put them in my 21 Touring and was using them until I found some new Motorcraft plugs to use in it. These are marked 18. Maybe a heat range no?
One has 3 on it. The others don’t. Maybe that’s a heat range no.
They have some miles on them and when they were installed in his 24 Coupe I don’t know.
Attachments
46E5C895-88A5-411D-A58D-7B55A8230583.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic