Early 20s closed car Model T windows

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
gturkovi
First Name: george
Last Name: turkovic
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 coupe
Board Member Since: 2018

Early 20s closed car Model T windows

Post by gturkovi » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:37 pm

I have a '24 coupe and the window regulators (risers) are basically frozen. My Model T Doctor tells me that the only quality replacements are for the last years '26 and '27. For earlier closed cars there is little available, the replacements are "Chinese junk" and the parts needed are simply not available. Surely somebody in the world does early 1920s Model T window risers. Who? Where?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Early 20s closed car Model T windows

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:42 pm

The window regulators can be repaired if they weren’t forced to turn or abused in the past. If they are the type that have pot metal parts in them they may not can be repaired. I have a 24 Coupe and I repaired both of mine. One was frozen and rusted tight and the other needed adjustment.
Mine were the all steel type and I carefully used heat and patience to loosen the frozen one up disassemble, clean and adjust it. The other just needed adjustment.
If yours have the pot metal parts in them it still may can be repaired IF they weren’t forced to turn and not broken. I would at least take them off the car and soak them in mineral spirits or some type of light oil and see what happens.
You may get lucky. Just don’t force anything.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:29 pm

These are some discussions that may be helpful. Someone was making the housings for these but I can't find info on them at this time.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1247272559
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1384646471
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1333420093
When did I do that?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm

The window regulator in my car that was rusted stuck and rusted up was the 17200dx that’s show in the post that Rich Eagle posted. That’s the one I took apart and repaired. I drilled out the rivets and carefully noted how the parts were installed and didn’t get anything out of sequence. This is the one that’s more forgiving than the rest that were used and better made. Hope this can be of help.
Hopefully yours haven’t been forced and twisted around with a pair of vise grips.
Good luck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic