Rocky Mountain Brakes Get Spongy when warm

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jmemjr
First Name: John
Last Name: Memmelaar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912, 1914, 1915

Rocky Mountain Brakes Get Spongy when warm

Post by jmemjr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:36 pm

I have RMB on my 1912 Touring and I recently replaced the bands with new ones as I was getting low lining in the old ones. The first couple of stops are good. Can lock them
Up and they have a crisp pedal with a slight squeak. I am used to this on two other cars I have that have them.

After the first stop it gets progressively worse and after a good 10 miles of town driving I got nothin. They are hard to push down. Like a hard pedal that doesn’t engage the drum. It’s bizarre....

I have tried all the things that make sense but I’m happy to hear all suggestions!

Thanks !

John

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Rocky Mountain Brakes Get Spongy when warm

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Did by any chance oil got on the linings? Sounds as if they are glazed over some how. Been running RMB's for years with no issues.

Hope you find what is causing it.

All the Best,

Hank

JP_noonan
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:46 pm

John, did you use the same hard linings to replace the ones you took off ? If so, it might be something as simple as an adjustment. I know it took me quite a few attempts to get the best and proportionate braking when dealing with the Trans brake lining and the external brakes. I like to set up mine that when lightly braking, just the R/M's are in use, and when you really need to stop, the internal band is put into use for added braking. hope this helps. Keep us updated on your progress. ;)
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Topic author
jmemjr
Last Name: Memmelaar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912, 1914, 1915

Post by jmemjr » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies and input! I put new bands and shoes on right out of the box. I’ll try adjusting the tranny brake to RMB setup again but when I activate the RMB setup they have that spongy feel.

As for being glazed over by normal use I’m not sure how that would happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic