Bennett Brakes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686
Board Member Since: 2005

Bennett Brakes

Post by noelchico » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm currently trying to install a set of Bennett brakes horse traded another forum member for last summer. Thanks, Keith! They are going on our 20 roadster we plan to take to Tennessee in a month. I checked old forum threads and see the that the brakes are supposed to fit on the rear bolt in the backing plate and the upper arm of the radius rod bolt. When trying this, there is binding as the spring loaded bracket wants to line up about an inch behind the bolt. If I force it, the bracket is tilted and binds the brakes. It however fits using the opposite brake "upside down" so that the spring bracket attaches to the lower radius rod bolt. That puts the activation lever down, not up.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=20532
download/file.php?mode=view&id=20533
download/file.php?mode=view&id=20534
download/file.php?mode=view&id=20535

Another problem is that there is no equalizer on this brake set up. I'll have to adjust each brake separately. I had read previously that the repro brakes had a true equalizer so I wonder if this actuator bar is from an original set.
My Bennett brake pedal seems to have a ramp to actuate the main transmission brake, but I'll need to take another hogshead apart to get the brake shaft and rivet or bolt this pedal to it.
There is a cast brass piece from the "equalizer" to the brake pedal without a slider between. I need to see if this will work and allow the parking brake to work.
Any thoughts on the set up are appreciated, as I'm just getting started with installation.
The pictures may be out of order but I tried to show the whole set, the brakes on "upside down", and the alignment issues of using the top bolt.
Attachments
2019-07-06 Bennett brakes model t 004.JPG
2019-07-06 Bennett brakes model t 007.JPG
2019-07-06 Bennett brakes model t 005.JPG
2019-07-06 Bennett brakes model t 002.JPG

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Bennett Brakes

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Bennett Brakes

Post by KeithG » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi Noel, We have a guy in our club (Dairyland Tin Lizzies) that has a set of Bennett's on his T, a 15 or 16 Roadster. He drives his car and likes the Bennett's. I can probably get pictures of his to answer your questions if needed, just let me know.

Looking at the thread from 2008, I see that Gary London posted a good diagram of how they mount. Gary is still active on the Forum and sometimes makes parts for T's, in case you'd like to contact him. Perhaps Chaffins could help also.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic