Status of New Fuel Tanks

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Status of New Fuel Tanks

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 am

I just talked to Ashley at Lang's and she said they're expecting a lead time of up to 8 months on new oval gas tanks.

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is and what the delay might be? I'm going to have to decide whether to try and patch up my old one, or wait for a new one to become available.
1924 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Status of New Fuel Tanks

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm

I just saved an '11 Torpedo tank with a POR Gas Tank Sealing kit and am VERY pleased with the result.

I searched on-line for the best price for the KIT and then spent the money for an extra gallon of etching solution as well (this tank needed it!)

If you were to try to save your tank, I think you would be well pleased with the result. Just do not hurry the process. Email me for any further info or advice in its use.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by James_B_NC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:00 pm

When I was waiting for my wheel rims, I also had a new tank on backorder from months prior. The folks at Lang’s told me that a farmer in Michigan made the oval tanks part time on weekends. When done with a batch, he would then split them between the vendors. Don’t know how true all of that is, but 8 months was about how long I waited if I recall correctly.
The forum's resident Millennial.

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info.

I just ordered the POR Tank Sealing Kit.

I'll try to rescue this tank and will go ahead and place a backorder with Langs as well.
1924 Touring

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:57 pm

I'd settle for an eight month wait. Nobody makes tanks for the improved cars.

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm

The man that makes most if not all the tanks Lang"s, Macs, ect. sell, lives here in Arkansas. He is a one man shop and is nearing retirement age. All the tanks are hand made with very primitive equipment. He does beautiful work. I believe he does runs of aprox 50 tanks at a time, split between round, oval, speedster, torpedo, ect. Then the run is split between the various vendors. Last time I visited with him he said he used to do somewhere between a thousand to two thousand tanks a year. But he is getting older (we all are) so I would guess the amount of tanks being made may be getting smaller He started making the tanks as a helper/apprentice when he was in his early 20s with the original maker supplier. He inherited the business when the original owner passed away and is still making tanks. "BUT" there is no new helper coming along to help or continue the business. So when this guy finally says its time to quit, there will be no more tanks for awhile. Someone else will need to start making them ... Since the making of the tanks, as he does it, is so labor and time consuming, and he says proper "tin plate" material is getting so hard to find, the hobby may be in for a time of "fix what we have"

About two years ago I was at his shop at least 2 days a week, helping the widow of the previous owner sell a lot of the model T and A parts her husband had acquired thru the years. Due to my time visiting with the man who makes the tanks, I decided to buy one round, one oval, and one speedster tank to put up for "hard times".

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks for the info Donnie.

I just ordered one from Lang's. Hopefully my order will get filled before he calls it quits.
1924 Touring

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought Rootlieb made tanks. Maybe he just got them from this Arkansas guy and passed them along.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Hats off to all of the enterprising folks now and in the past that took a chance and got into the business of making reproduction Model T parts. I sure hope the younger folks will see the opportunity and pick up the task as the older folks retire / pass. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 pm

I’ve always wondered if you could somehow make one of these universal tanks work as a temporary solution. My T’s have round tanks so I don’t know how much room is under the seat of a car with an oval tank.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spun-Alu ... 31420.html

If I needed a tank, I would look into it. They obviously don’t look original but if you could get it to work it’s a lot better than sitting and looking at your T in the garage waiting for a back ordered tank.

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Only 1 guy making them and each vendor has wait there turn get a few
I faced this issue earlier this year on a round tank
I ended up contacting every vendor i could find and bought from only 1 who had one
Por 15 a great 2nd choice and just bought a kit to do my old round tanks not holey but crusty
I done several tanks including a late 31 model A with excellent results years later

rnkugel
First Name: Reuben
Last Name: Kugel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring 1926 RAJO Speedster
MTFCA Number: 49871
MTFCI Number: 24323

Post by rnkugel » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm

Couple months back I too was in search for a round tank. Called all the normal "big" vendors with the same response...get in line. Then I called Bob's out of Rockford. The answer I got was music to my ears...sure we got plenty. 3 days later I was installing my new tank. Thank goodness the old one only had a small weep, so I will seal for another day. Good luck on your search.
1915 Touring
1926 RAJO Speedster

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:55 pm

I have tried for years folks to put the younger generation into these types of businesses. Reproduction pieces, deaf ears that just floors me beyond anything. I am not a widget maker, but a young person reproducing these items could easily make $100,000.00 per year profit. Fuel tanks, hinges, misc patch panels, and the list goes on. I just do not get it! These are simple to produce with very little effort and tools so the over head is low, just takes up some floor space.

I am to busy to attempt and getting old myself.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Hank

why would someone want to invest a few $ on equipment to make something that such a small % of people will pay for, when you can get a government loan, invest an enormous sum of $, go hugely into debt and get a college degree in an area that often times, almost no one will pay for?

Isn't it common knowledge among folks in TN that the only path to success is college? Get with the program, man!!

I know of someone who is a D- student, about to graduate High School (how on earth can you DO that with grades like that???) and doesn't care, as they plan to be a You-Tube star. And the parents are not insanely worried about it. At least no student loans will be involved... :(
Scott Conger

Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Us in dim dar hills have the same problem Scott.

It’s like we have a couple of generations of lost minds, I still have hope, but it just kills me. I had what I thought was some up and coming young men wanting to learn, they started off real good. Then their parents put them high on a false pedestal. Pay day was Friday, retraining on Monday.

I learned by sweeping a mans floor, cleaning his nasty toilet, and emptying his ash trays for free.

I retired at 48 years of age with no debt. I have always lead others by example and by mentor ship.

Just Me

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Hank, you're a gem

BTW, I started much the same way as you (but no toilets...does that make me entitled? :lol: )...my career path ultimately (and surprisingly) led to a desk (but no debt!), and retired early like you and am back doing the stuff I really enjoy and maybe should always have done. I used to wish for some young person to take an interest in what I do, but have gotten over it and where I am now, that possibility is long gone.

It is a sobering thought to know that upon my demise, the auctioneer will likely not even know which tools go with what (unfinished) projects. Such is the general state of ignorance.
Scott Conger

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 pm

There are a few out there but I havnt found any yet. I worked 18 years for a great guy that taught me everything about construction. Even after 2 years of building trades in high school about all I knew was which end of the hammer to hold. When he retired I took over the business. I cant find anyone under 50 that wants to work much less learn a trade. My son has his own business.

Some younger blood is in the hobby and really enjoying it. I hope when suppliers are not making parts that these guys will pick up the banner and run.
Hey Hank I could be taught? I am getting ready to make rear fenders for my TT. I havnt found anyone selling rear fenders for an American 8in1 convertible truck body. :D

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 pm

....the auctioneer will likely not even know which tools go with what (unfinished) projects.

Scott, if you go before I do I'll come to your auction and buy stuff cheap because nobody knows what it is. I love it when that happens. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Well, now I can go to my final rest with satisfaction of that knowledge Steve! :lol:
Scott Conger

Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 am

Dallas us older folks do need our therapy. If you have pictures and dimensions, we can do this. Come on down yonder, yea hear.

Hank

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Just talked to Rootlieb....they just received (today) a shipment of the 20-25 oval tanks.

I bought one.

If anyone would like my old oval tank and the complete POR 15 Fuel Tank Sealing Kit, and you'd be willing to pick it up, you can have it for free.
1924 Touring

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Don

your offer is far better than (I think) what most people will give credit for. The POR kit works excellently and I have absolutely no doubt that your old tank could be saved and put back into service for many many more years if thus treated.
Scott Conger

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm
Don

your offer is far better than (I think) what most people will give credit for. The POR kit works excellently and I have absolutely no doubt that your old tank could be saved and put back into service for many many more years if thus treated.
I have no doubt that you're right about that Scott. If a local Model T'er doesn't want it, I'll probably go ahead and do the full POR treatment on the old tank and keep it as a spare.

However, the offer still stands to anyone who cares to come get it at my house near Houston. Or...I'm about to move my daughter to Dallas and I know I'll be in the DFW area several times a year. If someone wants to meet me there, I'll bring it with me one time.

I've been helped so many times, so generously, by so many Model T'ers that I feel an obligation to give back whenever I can. I also have a 25 frame that someone can come get if they want it. I've stripped it pretty bare, but it still has the body mounts, running board mounts and a front axle attached. That's also free for the taking.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic