1927 Speedster Build

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

1927 Speedster Build

Post by babychadwick » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm

As I get time I have been working on this speedster which started out as a nearly complete chassis (no radiator, steering, and a plywood frame) that was going to be parts for an earlier car to then be replaced as I rebuilt the earlier parts. Of course I got to thinking since it had been a running car that was stripped of its body for a hot rod why not just build a speedster so the project started. I had this going on the old forum but decided to just restart it here. After contemplating various design options I decided on a basic style with a couple seats and tank and made a rough sketch.
Untitled.jpg
Upon having a goal in mind the search began for some of those parts to make it "special" which included radiator and lights and I found a radiator from a Whippet and lights from an Auburn.
front.jpg
front.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
I used an early frame I had and lowered it with about a 4 inch Z in the rear to be complemented with a bent spring. In the front I opted replacing the perches with a bracket and 4 link setup. Right not it's tacked together so I can roll it around. This gives approximately a 4 inch suicide to the front and in my mind provides a very clean look. When I do the spindles I may get a pair of straight spindle arms and it may clear the pan without any problems. If I do need to been the tie rod I will be adding gussets to strengthen. The spring mounts are cut down early rear perches.
111111.jpg
I've played a little in sourcing some engine parts and plan for a quick flathead. The head is a new Sherman, carb is a Winfield "M" size B, I'm running a distributor for ignition. When I tear into the engine the magneto will be removed, a ground A cam (acquired already), pressurized mains via VW oil pump, and a dam in the pan for the dips on the rods.
20190527_135627.jpg
Body design was mocked up and in general not too far off the original sketch. Obviously there are some differences. Yes, there is a warford in the driveline.
1.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: 1927 Speedster Build

Post by babychadwick » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:42 pm

To continue, as I was having problems uploading another picture.
111.jpg
Recently I have been working on a trailer to keep the car in as I don't have garage space, when don't this is going to be a great little trailer for long distances and fits a speedster like a glove.
20190514_085120.jpg
This month though I've started to think more about the steering and start on it. I have an uncommon aluminum wheel and a cool spark/gas, unfortunately the rods go down the middle of the column and thru the gear box requiring a bit of customization.
20190708_224239.jpg
20190708_134720.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Love the look. Keep at it!

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Sweet, keep us posted. It is going to be a great ride.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic