Ammeter does not register a charge

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
25 roadster john
First Name: John
Last Name: Pawlowski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 49635

Ammeter does not register a charge

Post by 25 roadster john » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello all,
I see another thread just started about a generator not charging. I've started my own so not to piggyback .
My generator appears to be charging, although it is registering the same voltage reading as the battery side on the cutout. The reading is slightly above 6 volts.
With engine NOT running the battery side of cutout reads slightly above 6 volts with NO reading on generator side.
Ammeter does not register a charge when I raise engine speed. The ammeter does register a discharge when I turn lights on. Shouldn't the generator output reading be higher than 6 volts? And like I've said I'm using a cutout on the generator, however, I have a Fun Projects voltage regulator that I want to install but not until I am confident the charging system is performing proper. :?:

John_Aldrich
Last Name: Aldrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1923. 1927

Re: Ammeter does not register a charge

Post by John_Aldrich » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 pm

The battery side of the cutout will show what your battery has as it is a straight shot to the battery on one wire. Well, except it goes through your amp meter first. You would NOT have 6 volts on the generator side of the cutout if it weren't running.

Problems could be your cut-out, possibly your amp meter, and possibly your generator. The Fun Projects regulator is a positive step. Could be your cutout is "sticking" or maybe just shot. There are more electrically intelligent folks on here so I'll let them help you as well but it sounds as it you need to bench test your generator.
John Aldrich
Typical Model T Addict

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Does the Volt Meter you used to measure the voltage also have the ability to measure amperage? Why not use it then?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

JohnH
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Connect your voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine at idle speed. If, when you increase engine revs the battery voltage increases, then the generator is charging. It's just possible that the ammeter has been incorrectly connected into the wiring harness - I'm thinking if the wire from the cutout has been connected to the wrong side of the ammeter, so that charge current flows direct to the battery without flowing through the ammeter.

paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm

I am by no means an expert, but that never stopped me before. :lol:

Some info on this thread might be of use: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4643&p=35199#p35199

Topic author
25 roadster john
Last Name: Pawlowski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 49635

Post by 25 roadster john » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm going to get at it again tomorrow. Between the information here and some I found on the Internet I think I'll have it figured out. Thanks for the input.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic