Shift knob in transmission

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jed
First Name: Jed
Last Name: Welsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster pick-up

Shift knob in transmission

Post by Jed » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:32 pm

Amateurs that we are, we dropped the Ruckstel shift knob into the open transmission. Yes, we had removed the cover to look at what needed to be done besides changing the bands. We had already drained the oil. We made pusher and grabber rods out of coat hangers. We stuck a hand in as far as we could and put our finger up the drain hole. The knob is not metal so a magnet is out. So far, we cannot even prove it is in the transmission. We have made no contact with the knob. Where can it be hiding? Could the knob have gotten into the oil pan? We have even tried slowly turning the crank to see if that would make a difference or at least contact with the knob, Nope... All help and ideas welcome.

The knob diamiter(sic) is inch and a half (1-1/2")

The T sits on a concrete slab with a garage wall on one side and 20' of open concrete on the other three sides.

Scottio

Re: Shift knob in transmission

Post by Scottio » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:09 pm

First step is to stand back and say damn. Not really sure what your next step should be other than fish around with mechanical fingers. But I’ve got the first part down pat.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Double check the undercarriage, pan arms etc. .

It may not have made it to the ground or black hole
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm

I agree with Scottio, but would suggest a couple of shots of good Bourbon and a period of doing something else before trying the mechanical finger thing.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Usually the shift knob has a steel insert for the threads ??
Maybe worth investment in a borescope...HF ?
I agree with Chad, look everywhere possible first. Might help to remove the hogsheads.
I don't think there's room to make the trip to the bottom of the abyss.

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:19 pm

I seem to remember having a hell of a time just getting bands in and out, are you sure something the size of a golf ball could fit in there?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Like others would check under the chassis, around the outside of the hogshead, against the frame rails, etc. Search the T anywhere but the opening of the hogshead to rule out other locations of that bouncing ball knob.

Then really check the floor, I like to lay down and sight along the flat surfaces, find things that way..

Then, maybe the knob did fall into the trans, would be unlikely for it to fall into the magnets on the flywheel, but if it did would be hard to reach, like a ball on a roulette wheel, between a pair of magnets perhaps.

Other places would be under the bands, as it could roll off the bands and fall below. Or on the rear of the hogshead, under the clutch spring, but that part of the pan is tapered towards the sump, so it would be in the sump then.

About the only suggestion I have is to drain the oil, fold a length wise shop towel in and hand crank it over, hoping the wad of towel will scoop the knob up along side the flywheel. :roll:

340155.jpg
340155.jpg (100.73 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
27 trans in pan.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm

I'm thinking that it just rolled behind something in the shop. If your shop is like most, there are a lot of things a shift knob could roll behind and out of sight. I find that as a last resort, it helps to find a lost item by using a bright flashlight so as to light up large, as well as very small shadowed areas, and it also helps to focus your vision so as to check each little area more completely, rather than just "scanning" a large area with less emphasis on the tiny little shadowed areas. Anyway,....try the flashlight idea, as the worst you can do is to accidentally locate something else that you didn't realize was "lost",......hope this helps,.....harold

keen25
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Keenan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 coupe, 1925 TT, 1926 coupe, 1925 Tudor, 1925 pickup, 1926 fordor

Post by keen25 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Try Some compressed air and a blow gun to try and hear it moving around. The cheap $7 cameras that use a pc usb port are nice. I would also look around the shop floor or other parts of the frame. Best of luck

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:00 pm

I would look on every possible ledge on the T first....places like inside the U shape of the frame rails, under the front seat, etc.
1924 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:01 pm

After getting over the shock, I'd wire a large nut as close in size to the knob and then see where it IS NOT

You may find there are only a limited number of places (if any) in the transmission that it will go into, when the hog's head is in place
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Since the Ruckstell knob is screwed to the shift lever, how did it manage to come off in the first place?

Topic author
Jed
First Name: Jed
Last Name: Welsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster pick-up

Post by Jed » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Jed's reply or replies,

'Original Smith', My partner still cannot remember what posessed him to unscrew it. I guess it the same demon that caused him to drop it. Actually, he was removing the wooden floor board.

'overall reply', our T sits outside under a canopy and a full tarp. The area around the T is all open concrete. I have been under it a dozen times working on removing rust from the frame, drive train, running boards, fenders, etc.. I cannot think of one part of our jewel that I not had my fingers or brush into. It was a month ago that the knob was dropped and my partner swears he saw it fall into the transmission. We have removed the Hogs Head to look it.

We will try the air. We will try the large nut. Are you sure the 'shop towel' will make it all the way around and not get hung up and cause more problems?

I wish our transmission looked as nice as the one in the pictures.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:28 pm

You didn't say what size the knob was? That may make a difference where you look. I like the camera option..
Good Luck. IN THE MEAN TIME, PUT THE COVER BACK ON!!! Take the key out as well.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:27 pm

First, I'd respectfully suggest that a shop towel is not the way to go if the hog's head is installed. I do not believe that the knob will pass the pan at any dimension, and you may simply jamb things up if the engine is rotated the "wrong" way and the knob is indeed there.

If the nut routine shows that the knob may indeed be in there, yet is not visible, you may have to remove the hog's head. The knob should become visible and at that point, if you need a rag to "sweep" it up, then (with oil drained), a rag or rags can then be dragged safely into the cavity by the ring gear teeth. I'd never put a rag into a transmission and turn the engine over unless the hog's head is off

I'd remove the spark plugs and put the car in high gear, jack up a rear wheel and have someone turn the wheel over slowly one direction of the other as necessary to bring that sucker up. Annoying, but not a tragic deal.

In any event, have you learned NOT to do ANY unnecessary work with the transmission door off?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic