Billings Fun Tour

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Billings Fun Tour

Post by TonyB » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:45 pm

I was somewhat delayed posting due to the forum problems, so we’ll have to rely on my feeble memory.
Tuesday was sign in day and opening banquet. Wednesday was the first Touring day and we drove about 100 miles out to Pompey’s Pillar. It is located about 50 miles east of the town on the Yellowstone River. It was signed by Clark of Lewis and Clark fame in their voyage of discovery in 1806.
Pompey’s Pillar from the road
Pompey’s Pillar from the road
On this day I followed Steve and Susie Hughes in their red 26 Touring. It still surprises me how much lower the 26 is compared to the 14.
Hughes 26 and Bowkers 14
Hughes 26 and Bowkers 14
Thursday was the longest run out to Red Lodge. As an addition tour we drove out to the view point at 9180 feet. The total run was 225 miles, quite a long run for me in a Model T.
Tony at 9180 feet
Tony at 9180 feet
Red Lodge is a quaint little town, we had a great lunch and the roads we drove along were fairly quiet and not too much traffic. On the way back we stopped at a collection of Ts in Columba’s, he appears to have one of every year they were made. Of course I was most interested in the 1909, so the pictures are rather specialized, sorry.
1909 Windscreen support rod
1909 Windscreen support rod
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Topic author
TonyB

Re: Billings Fun Tour

Post by TonyB » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 pm

The final Touring day was a run out to the Little Bighorn battle field west of Hamlin. Again we were on very quiet roads with minimal traffic. We had a stop in Hamlin and caught up with a few other Ts, the on some dirt roads to avoid going on the freeway to the battle site.
Cafe in Hamlin
Cafe in Hamlin
Memorial at Little Bighorn
Memorial at Little Bighorn
We had a packed lunch served at the Museum in Hamlin, the town really support the history of the area.

One thing surprised me was the infestation of cockroaches near the monuments. I guess for the country people this is nothing, but to this city boy it looked alarming.
Cockroaches at Bighorn
Cockroaches at Bighorn
Last edited by TonyB on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for the report Tony. I knew it would be a great tour and wish we could have fit it in.
Great pictures.
Rich
When did I do that?

jethro
First Name: Jonathan
Last Name: Bodine
MTFCA Number: 4006

Post by jethro » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Billings was our first tour ever. Took the 14 roadster. Engine ran well, partly due to the carburetor Stan Howe loaned us. I think there was a babbitt thrust washer in the rear end which failed on the way back from Pompey"s Pillar (rear end has never been opened up to my knowledge). Now I get to fix the rear end. A wide variety of cars; lots of great people. All in all we had a great time. The Billings club put on a great event; I hope they will repeat soon.

Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:29 pm

The final day was just a run around Billings for a car show and then farewell dinner at the hotel. It was preceded by the local pops orchestra playing a melody of popular pieces and then an excellent meal. Looking back I only bought one evening meal, the rest were part of the tour.
John Barber as tour director and Don Cantrell and their small team did a wonder job. I gather a couple of cars had to be rescued by the trouble truck but most Ts handle the 500 miles in three days with ease. The roads the guys choose were quiet with little traffic and NO freeway driving.
My rig at the Billings KOA
My rig at the Billings KOA
Now I’m off to Yellowstone😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm

I made Yellowstone but must admit I’m a little disappointed with all the traffic, double yellow lines which folks ignore and high speed. I did what I thought would be easy from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful. I stopped at virtually test stop along the way and even though the speed limit was 35 or 45, I ran at 38 and was passed very dangerously several time , that bit was not fun. On the bright side, I would suggest my 1914 is now the most photographed car in Wyoming. Literally hundreds took pictures so that was nice.
14 along Madison River
14 along Madison River
Midway Geyser Basin
Midway Geyser Basin
Blowing
Blowing
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
Not sure what I’m doing tomorrow, that traffic was not fun😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Tony

If you ever get the chance again, come in May right after roads open or in Sept right before the roads close. Kids in school; no one on vacation; and the Chinese have gone back to work. You'll have the road nearly to yourself.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:37 pm

Agreed Scott - have visited several times to Yellowstone, Jackson Hole & The Grand Tetons off season - only time to go !

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:37 pm

I wondered why you weren't at Long Beach Saturday! Saw a lot of people I know but didn't find what I was looking for. I did find it, but the condition was not good enough to use. looks like you had a lot of fun on the Billings trip. We did that a few years ago in a modern car and even camped in a tent just outside the entrance between Teton and Yellowstone. Have fun. Other things to look for would be Devil's tower, Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. There is a lot of history in the area and also tourist attractions. Hope to see you soon, Tony.
Norm

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I decided to give Yellowstone another try. Entered about 6:30am, believe it or not but there was still a line, much shorter than yesterday. Traffic was much more manageable and saw no bad behavior. I wanted to see Gibbon falls so that’s where I made for.
Mount Haines on Madison River
Mount Haines on Madison River
Wheel chock from Billings tour
Wheel chock from Billings tour
Gibbon Falls
Gibbon Falls

I left Norris about 10:30 and was back in West Yellowstone before lunch with hardly any traffic in my direction. I only pulled over three times in thirty miles, I can live with that. However the line of cars moving into the park looked worst than yesterday. I guess I unlocked the secret to seeing Yellowstone 😊😊
Attachments
77C20D0C-BD48-48F3-A5C4-DC119422FF60.jpeg
Traffic 1928 to 1998
Traffic 1928 to 1998
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

David Mcbride
First Name: David
Last Name: Mcbride
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 pu 1926 touring

Post by David Mcbride » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:04 pm

great tour roads were perfect for modle t. left jakson hole stayed at lake lodge cabins before ascending beartooth pass tuesday. the ride over the pass was epic two modle t's chugging up and over the summit at 10947 made for a glorious days a lot of high fiveing for sure. jeff cordess and myself made billings before dark. i realize no pictures it didnt happen pictures will come. the tour of little big horn is a must. The drive back beartooth pass was just as epic minus the rain sleet and snow. All in all the group putting on the tour did a great job . If you ever go to yellowstone include beartooth pass the trip thru lamar valley will include a 1000 buffloes numerous walking down the middle of the road. thanks guys and gals for the wonderful experience.

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 pm

I stopped by Promontory Golden Spike site on the way home. Just made it in time for the re-enactment of the original ceremony. I can’t post a video but here is a picture.
Sure if golden spike
Sure if golden spike
One interesting thought when the idea was first mooted in 1830, it was thought as impossible yet done by 1870. Much like in 1935 when the first idea of travel to the moon was mooted but considered impossible yet done by 1969.
I wonder what is currently considered impossible in this 21st century yet will be accomplished less than 40 years later?
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Arrived home safely after 2750 miles in the truck and about 650 miles on the T😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic