Old Photo - Who remembers Krazy Kat?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Old Photo - Who remembers Krazy Kat?

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Krazy-Kat.jpg
When did I do that?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Old Photo - Who remembers Krazy Kat?

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:14 pm

I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:02 pm

The car is either a Baby Grand, or a V-8 model.

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:30 pm

It looks like a Model D Chevrolet, which would be the V-8 from 1917-1918.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:45 pm

What an incredible photo! So much to see and ponder in there. First thing that came to mind was "where is Ignatz"? It almost looks like a brick behind Krazy's ears?
A '17/'18 V8 Chevrolet in 1921 (that is the year of its license plate), it looks kinda beat. No headlamp lenses for quite awhile, the silvering on the reflectors is really dull. The place looks like a hangout. Maybe a speakeasy? And being 1921? Her skit is rather short. The wild jazz age of the roaring twenties didn't really get going until about '24. The other two are much more typical of the early '20s. I like the fellow's straw hat! But I really like straw hats of that type. They are great to wear on a hot day, shade for your head or face, and if you get really hot, there is a special grip that holds the hat and it makes a nice arm-powered fan.
Thank you Rich E !

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:16 pm

So which was first, Krazy Kat or Felix the cat. Don’t remember seeing Krazy Kat as a comic strip but seems like Felix the cat was in a strip in the paper.

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Krazy Kat by cartoonist George Herriman ran from 1913 to 1944.
Felix the Cat began in 1923. The sound Felix shorts ended in 1932. Felix cartoons began airing on American TV in 1953.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_the_Cat
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Interesting photo, indeed. The street surface and threesome standing by the car
have a superimposed "photoshop" look to them, as it this is a constructed image from
multiple photos.

Why are the blacked-out headlights thought to be silvering, gone bad ? I do not see
any depth of the dishing, as if the surface is flat, like the lenses were painted black.
Also note, you cannot see a bulb or even a socket in the deepest past of the reflector
dish.

I have seen this blacked out appearance in many other period photos and asked why
they would be blacked out, ... was there a period reason for doing so ? But I have never
gotten a response.

Is the chalk-looking lettering on the top of the door also added ? It doesn't quite look
right either. And if it is real, what the hell does "ALL SOAP CABANDON YE WHO ENTER
HERE" mean ?

The very derelict back alley scene reminds me of Civil War era photos of Washington,
DC and southern cities. Just something about the character of the building materials and
general decay.

The construction of that door is incredibly stout, yet has angle-set panel insert beadboard,
decorative cutaway bevel edges ... someone put a lot of work into making that door !
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Am I silly thinking that perhaps even back then with the flash of the camera, the lights would've set off a glow to hinder the photo?
I don't know so I ask.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 am

I believe that third word is 'ABANDON', to me it looks like the C was part of the original wording on the sign and was painted(?) over. Almost looks like the lettering was printed on the negative. Still doesn't make much sense to me. I agree, the whole picture looks odd. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Greg Griffin
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 torpedo, '25ish pickup
MTFCA Number: 30353
MTFCI Number: 23493

Post by Greg Griffin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:26 pm

"All hope abandon Ye who enter here" is a line from Dante's Divine Comedy. Some joker changed "hope" to "soap".

I like that place already.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Almost certainly a photoshopped compilation.

If you blow it up to the pixel level, you can see exactly where the work was done.
1924 Touring

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Intriguing photo. There are some questionable oddities in it. But the more I look at it, the more I think the picture is suffering from a common malady of some era photographs caused by age. Some types of photos degrade in a manner sometimes called "silvering out". Others can do similar degradation due to other chemical changes due to age, light, or other contaminants. The car and the building they are standing next to do have matching shadows. It appears that there may be a reflective source of light across the street creating a shadow of the woman and the door she is next to (maybe even the building we can see behind them?). But that light is not strong enough to obscure the dominant shadow of the building they are standing next to. Looking under the car, one can see the shadow of the other side of the building, that edge and the edge of the shown side of the building (basically under the people's feet) put together seems to match the shadows of the people and the car.
What looks like a dusting of snow on the ground, the car, and some places on the far building, cannot actually be snow. Because the same effect is on the one lady's shoe and ankle, the men's collars, and other places it would not have stayed or would have melted. This I think is the aging of either the photo or negative. It probably was an effect on the brightest parts of the photo, exaggerating the brightness, and showing as a mottled pattern.

Zooming in to 300 percent, appears to show some details inside the headlamps. I am not sure, but in one I think I may be able to see the bulb socket. If that is the case, I don't think they have worked for quite some while.
While there are some character traits that do suggest photo manipulation, the more I zoomed in and looked at the details, the different people, the license plates, and the far building, the more convinced I became the the photo is genuine, but damaged. If someone can find proof to the contrary, I would love the hear it. (RustyFords seems to disagree with me, and I type slow)

As a historic note. The two license plates are both '21s. One is "DC (District of Columbia), the other "MD" (Maryland). In those days, before the Fed got involved and made it unnecessary, many states, districts, possessions, and even parks, required licensing to drive within their jurisdictions. It was very common to have two or three license plates on a car in smaller states or regions where a person may commonly drive across the borders on a regular basis. I have seen photos of cars or trucks with five or six plates on them. It was VERY common in the DC area where a lot of people worked, yet lived only a few miles away in one of the bordering states. DC was very strict about it's special rules, they wanted their annual couple bucks.

As a fan of classic literature, as well as pop culture through the decades, I really liked the "All soap abandon, ye who enter here". An interesting twist that suggests an "unclean" place. Why I mentioned a speakeasy in my first commentary.

kmatt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp

Post by kmatt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 pm

This is the Krazy Kat Club and it was a speakeasy not far from the White House,( yes that White House ), and it had a tree house in the court yard.
See :
https://www.messynessychic.com/2012/07/ ... -treehouse

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:47 am

Wow Kevin M! Thank you. Some interesting history there. I am not sure I would recommend reading that website to all our T crowd. But I found the little bit about this place very interesting. Others? Be forewarned, it wasn't bad, but I suspect if some of us (maybe including me!?) looked too much further, it may become a bit offensive.
The website has a couple other pictures, front and back areas of the place, and the same "short skirted" gal is in at least one of the tree-house photos. This same photo is also there, with the same questionable condition issues.
History is full of mysteries! Sometimes we get to find out more.

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:11 pm

I remember a cat cartoon where it started with an artist and a pen drawing the cartoon when once on paper became animated. Once the cartoon was finished the artist picked up the paper and tipped it down to the ink bottle. The cat slide down to the edge of the bottle and the ink ran back into the bottle. The finish was the artist put the stopper on the bottle.

I can not remember the name of this cartoon, anyone know?

frontyboy

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:23 am

I remember that one. These are sort of a similar from that era.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=an ... ORM=VRDGAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_5o51hMHBs
When did I do that?

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:12 am

Greg Griffin wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:26 pm
"All hope abandon Ye who enter here" is a line from Dante's Divine Comedy. Some joker changed "hope" to "soap".
When I was in high school, there was a storeroom in the drama department that had that line painted over the door. It was pretty much accurate in that case. :D

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:01 pm

I couldn't find one with a Model T.
KrazyK.jpg
When did I do that?

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Rich E, The cat and mouse in that car are Krazy K and Ignatz the mouse. They had a bizarre romance of sorts, and were a comic strip for a few decades as well as animated cartoons made in the '30s and then again for a short while in the '50s or '60s.
Felix the cat was another character, also a comic strip for some years, but I think may have been an animated cartoon first. Felix and Krazy were both driven by the new medium of television. Very early in television, the contrast was extreme, with limited gray scale. Cartoons were often used as fillers, and "opening acts" when the broadcaster went on the air. Both cats worked well in the early days of television due to their striking black and white drawings. Felix the Cat was also revived in the '50s with new cartoons, but never really caught on again (I still remember some of the opening jingle!).

Some relevant trivia about television. Care to guess when the first commercial broadcast was? Most people miss this by nearly two decades, some by half a decade.
After the '29 crash, research and development was pushed ahead, in search of new markets. The first recorded demonstration of a closed circuit television was in the late 1890s at one of the World's Fairs (I forget which one). Television as we know it became possible with Philo Farnsworth's research and patents in 1927. RCA was working simultaneously and would have reached the same point within a few years. After the '29 crash, several radio broadcasting companies (including RCA) used the few research dollars they had left to push television forward.
Several broadcasters first went on the air in 1931. The exact count is disputed, because the (forerunner of the FCC) agency issued licenses to a bunch of broadcasters, a few of which fibbed about actually going on the air. It is known that broadcasters in Chicago and Los Angeles did actually go on the air. A connection to our antique automobiles is that the owner of one of the Los Angeles stations was none other than Don Lee, better known for Don Lee Cadillac in both Los Angeles and San Francisco.
The main reason for Los Angeles being the site for some of the earliest broadcasts is that Hollywood stars were among the few people that could afford a tv set in the days when tv sets cost more than almost any common new car or even some new houses (put that into perspective!). A television set in those days cost between three to five thousand dollars! (A few even higher!)

Another bit of trivia. Why do most soccer balls have a black space visible from any side? Among the elite, in the early '30s, soccer enjoyed some popularity. In the "high contrast, low gray scale" days of television, an all white soccer ball would disappear in the grass. The black spots were added to make the ball easier to follow on television. In the mid '30s, soccer was one of the most popular programs on television.

Also, in the 1930s, most broadcasters were on the air only two or three hours per day. Many of them only two or three days per week. The transmitters and electronic cameras required about ten hours of maintenance and adjustment for every hour of use. People that could afford it, would plan their entire week around the broadcaster's schedule so they could sit and watch a soccer game! It would be nearly two decades before the equipment became reliable enough to get more use out of them than maintenance time required.

Most of the people that miss the first broadcast trivia by only half a decade are the ones that are aware of the broadcasting of the German Olympics in 1936.

My dad was an electrical/electronics engineer and a color television and cable tv pioneer. When I was five years old, I got to see the inside of television studios. My dad was one of the very few trained to such a level that the San Francisco broadcasters in the early days of color tv would call him in when their in-house technicians couldn't fix something. I have seen the bowl of fruit.

As to which cartoon was it that frontyboy alluded to? I very much remember seeing it many years ago, and think it may have been one of the "Out of the Inkwell" series (but I may be wrong on that?). Whether it was Krazy K or Felix I do not remember.

(Musical notes)
Felix the cat!
That wonderful wonderful cat!
Whenever he gets in a fix,
he reaches into his bag of tricks!

(Repeat)

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks for a fun, informative read Wayne. I'm pretty sure Felix was the "out of the ink well" cat.
"Get a horse !"

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Felix is alive and well here in Logansport.

Felix is also the oldest high school mascot in the state of Indiana, chosen in 1926 after a Logansport High School player brought his plush Felix to a basketball game. When the team came from behind and won that night, Felix became the mascot of all the Logansport High School sports teams.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:36 pm

MR Eagle,

Thank you for finding that ink cartoon. I remembered most of it just got a few facts wrong. I appreciate
your diligence.

frontyboy

kmatt

Post by kmatt » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 am

For those of us that also have messed with that other 1920's make car there is a Felix the Cat connection. The famous in Los Angeles Ca., Felix Chevrolet. The story of how a car dealer and a comic strip joined forces in the 1920's is interesting.

https://www.felixchevrolet.com/felix-ch ... dealership

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:00 am

Anybody remember Rhubarb the cat? I may not have spelled it right but I do remember seeing Rhubarb comic books in the 50’s. I have one somewhere stored in my comic book collection. Just thought I would ask!

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 am

I had not heard of Rhubarb but found these on the web.
Rhubarb.jpg
P.S. now I remember seeing part of the movie.
Rich
When did I do that?

Greg Griffin
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 torpedo, '25ish pickup
MTFCA Number: 30353
MTFCI Number: 23493

Post by Greg Griffin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Somewhere I have an old copy of Popular Mechanics from 1926, and it contains an article about the ""first public demonstration" of television. In a New York theater, the orchestra was in the pit while the conductor was in another room in front of the camera. His image was projected onto the screen above the orchestra and, hearing them from his location, he led them as they watched his image on the screen; all before an audience. The article also mentioned a previous experiment at a race track, with a photo, but I don't remember the details of that.

That issue also described experiments, I think by G. E., to understand the "Edison effect" of vacuum tubes. When their device was powered up, it gave a "warming sensation to the blood", cooked an apple and could kill small animals. Sounds like microwaves to me. This is recounted from memory; I haven't seen the issue in years.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:11 pm

Here's Felix in 1928.
FelixNBC.jpg
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic