Low speed clutch sticking - Need Help

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
drpepperbill
First Name: William
Last Name: Bullock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Sport Roadster
Board Member Since: 2019

Low speed clutch sticking - Need Help

Post by drpepperbill » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:07 pm

I have a 1926 Model T Roadster. The low speed clutch suddenly began sticking. I have isolated it to the low speed connector and clevis assembly jamming as the clutch is depressed to the floor. I have removed the assembly and the clutch pedal returns smoothly without issue; so I am assuming the bands are still adjusted appropriately (clutch doesn’t hit the floor either).

The clevis assembly twists slightly at the end of the clutch pedal travel just as it lifts up and in. Nothing has broken loose or bent; the clevis motion doesn’t look like it is any different than before. Length is adjusted so neutral just comes off the lever cam; lever cam doesn’t jam or stick either.

Anybody have an idea of how to make an adjustment to the clevis or the connector?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Low speed clutch sticking - Need Help

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 am

First the car is in neutral/disengaged when in low, reverse and when you hold the low pedal half way down while using the brake. The only time the clutch really comes into play is in high. So what you are asking is, the clutch is not disengaging when you use low? What does the car do in reverse?
Give us a few more what it is doing details.
Welcome to the forum.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:13 am

Bill, dare I suggest this perhaps? Grab a 15/16ths? or an old crescent wrench (Diamalloy-Diamond Tool and Horse Shoe-Duluth-preferred as I'm in MN) or two.
Loosen the jam nut on the right side on the case (hogshead/transmission cover), give the threaded shaft there a half turn IN (clockwise from the outer end) and try again? Re-snug the jam nut. Been there, done that with my old junk lotsa times. Due on my '18 real SOON as I wear the new, 30 year old linings/bands in. Repeat until no sticking... Lots of other things to worry about and yet...
Keep us informed on your process.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
drpepperbill

Post by drpepperbill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:12 am

Mark,
Clutch shifts into low gear pedal to the floor, normally, meaning the band engages and the car moves forward. The pedal doesn't release/return without help when you take your foot or hand off. Shifts into high just fine as well. It only sticks when pushed all the way down and the clevis/fork torques over when the clutch shaft moves in to tighten the band. When I remove the assembly, the clutch tightens the low speed band and releases normally so I am concluding that the tranny has no problems, car runs great. Pedal linkage is making causing the pedal to stick.

Topic author
drpepperbill

Post by drpepperbill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 am

Duey, I'll give it a try.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:23 am

William, the symptoms you describe sound like the first gear pedal is going over centre on the clutch linkage. This usually means the L piece on the lnkage assembly needs adjusting to make the linkage longer. This has the effect of lifting the pedal off the floor some. In the worst case scenario, the pedal ramp and the ramp in the hogshead are well worn, and need to be rebuilt/replaced.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am

et28x640) (2).jpg
Note the red highlighted area for setting 'Free Neutral"

May be as easy as Duey posted.

A sticking low pedal, having to pull it back with the toe, is many times due to worn linings, or low band adjustment too loose.

That will cause 'over center' and lock the pedal down.

The low pedal should be adjusted with the screw on the hogshead until the lining on the low drum is tight when you depress the pedal to about 2" or so from the floorboard. Don't allow the low pedal adjustment to be too loose, as the band lining won't be able to grip and hold the drum from rotating, and that will wear the linings way too fast.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am

Certainly sounds like the clevis is going over-center.

Just adjusting for Free Neutral isn't always the entire story. So many cars are sporting worn out hog's heads that in many cases the clevis simply cannot be adjusted long enough, and a new, longer "L" piece must be made.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
drpepperbill

Post by drpepperbill » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:58 am

Thanks for the info, yes, the clevis going over center is a fit description. I will adjust the low speed to engage a little higher without over tightening the band and try adjusting the connection longer this weekend.

Regards, Bill

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:16 am

Is the hole in the pedal that the linkage goes through worn out?

Mine was worn almost through. Decided to overhaul the hogs head, removed the pedal and welded up the hole and redrilled. Works great now.

Graybeard77
First Name: Clyde
Last Name: Gibson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor Sedan, 1926 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 32266

Post by Graybeard77 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 am

I keep my low pedal 1 and a 1/2 inch off the floor. It doesn't stick any more. I also readjusted my clevis. Low pedal works fine now.

Topic author
drpepperbill

Post by drpepperbill » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:19 am

Diet was right. Giving the band adjustment a half a turn tighter solved the issue.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic