Drove 110 year old car to the show and still didn't get oldest car award!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Drove 110 year old car to the show and still didn't get oldest car award!

Post by Bob McDaniel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Last weekend was the local power show that I have gone to over the last 15+ years and try to take something old car related every year. Most times only a few old cars or trucks show up and the rest are tractors and lately lawn mowers. I took the Indiana Truck starting in 2003 as a project that didn't even have an engine at the time and every year after that to show the progress until 2012 when I was able to fire it up and drive it around the park. I also took my 1926 Model T starting in about 2008 to drive while working on the truck. After my wife bought her 27 Touring and 31 Model A we took them and left the 26 T and Indiana Truck at home and started giving free rides to people that showed interest in the old cars. Then my wife sold the 27 to a family member and I sold my 26 T and replaced it with the 1909 Touring we have now. After all the old cars at the power show over the years they decided this year to try a cruise in on Sunday when the show is winding down so, thinking this will be a flop and they need cars I had decided to drive the touring from Logansport to Winamac Thursday for the power show and stayed for the event on Sunday. It turned out to be a good show with over 60 cars and trucks from all years like you see in most car shows and awards for top 10 and best of show and the only one I thought I would have a shot at was oldest car. Now you would think given the fact that 1909 was 110 years ago and it was a small show I would have a shot at that one but as I drove the T into the park Sunday morning I saw a nice red truck pulling a nice red box trailer come in from the other direction and pull in right in front of me. I knew right away it was the guy I met the day before that showed me a picture of the 1908 Buick his Grandfather bought new and was now his. I could not wait to see this awesome car and helped him find a place for his trailer and helped unload. We followed each other round the rest of the day and gave a two car brass parade around and through the park. I didn't win the oldest car award or any other award but was glad he did. When you drive a car that is 110 years old and don't win oldest car at the show, its a good show! By the time we got home Sunday night the GPS I hooked up to the battery in the back showed 110 miles with no problems at all. I wish I could post a picture but all I had was my phone and can not post from my phone.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Drove 110 year old car to the show and still didn't get oldest car award!

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm

When you drive a car that is 110 years old and don't win oldest car at the show, its a good show!
Agreed!

Consider trying to email the photos from the phone to your email account...then download to your computer and post...something to think about?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

GEmering
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Emering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring and 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49671
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by GEmering » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Great story Bob!
Best of luck with your very early T.
Would love to see some photos.

Gene
Gene Emering
Newton, New Jersey

Topic author
Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm
When you drive a car that is 110 years old and don't win oldest car at the show, its a good show!
Agreed!

Consider trying to email the photos from the phone to your email account...then download to your computer and post...something to think about?
Scott,

I can't send E-Mail from my phone or I would. I could send it to someone in a text that could post it. Just learned how to send pictures that way but not very good at it yet.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:51 pm

If there are no pictures, it never happened. :)

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 am

Enjoyed the story Bob. Thanks for sharing your experience and positive attitude. We used to have a car show in my town. Several years ago I took a junky ‘29 Ford open pickup and won a ‘Best Antique’ award. The next year I brought a really nice ‘26 roadster and a fellow with a junky ‘24 touring won the award. It became apparent to me the award was given to the oldest car so last year I brought my gorgeous brassy ‘14 Ford runabout and probably had a thousand photos taken of it... To my disappointment no Best Antique award was made. This year the mainly hot rod car show moved to a neighboring town.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic