Trans trouble

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Trans trouble

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 pm

I had a guy contact me today to work on his T. He said it was idling in his garage and heard a "horrible" nouse from transmision. It killed the engine. The car will start with wheels off the ground and its in gear. He said peddles work as they should. If he applies the E brake it kills the engine. He took the inspection cover off and bands and springs are in tact. He has another T and compaired the two and said the 3 clutch fingers are 1/4 from the collar with lever in neutral possition. What broke?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Trans trouble

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:48 pm

No visible damage? My first guess, triple gear seized. Could be clutch disc(s) broke. With rear wheels jacked up, rotate engine by hand crank. All three triple gears should have SOME slop in them. If any or all won't move or rock at all, more likely that is the problem. If all three have a bit of movement? Most likely the clutch. If any or all triple gears have a LOT of movement? The transmission needs a rebuild anyway. And it may be due to a seized bushing anyhow.

When rebuilding transmissions, do NOT make the mistake of getting the pins and bushings too tight (modern machinists almost always make that mistake!). Ts need a bit of clearance to get adequate oiling.

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:55 pm

He said that he was told the engine was rebuilt before he got it. I will try to get more info from him.

art32mor
First Name: Art
Last Name: Morra
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24T Touring
MTFCI Number: 14286

Post by art32mor » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Stuck clutch
Start the xar rev it some slowly pull on e beake and off keep doing this as it get hot turn off motor pull e brake on all the way let sit repeat cars not driven much clutch discs tend yo stick

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Besides the triple gear bush locking up which is easy to check like Wayne has posted, the drive plate bush can also sieze, that will give the trans top gear and the drums not able to get low or reverse. Another one is if the last time it was in pieces and rebuilt with a mix of year parts, the first clutch disc if the wrong one on an early clutch hub can fall between the clutch hub and brake drum jamming all up.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:11 pm

If there's enough wear on the face of the brake drum, a disk can get stuck between it and the clutch drum. That puts you in permanent high gear until you dig into the transmission and fix it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Have to pull engine to find the problem?

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Transmission rebuilt with bushings too tight. Most likely triple gears but any of them can cause this. I have had to fix many of these here. Some of them are so bad they rip the pins out of the flywheel. Others just weld the bushing to the pin. Anyway, your engine is coming out for repairs. A problem with the clutch is also a possibility but still requires engine out to repair. This too shall pass. Get it fixed and back on the road. I am in Northern California if I may be of any assistance.

Topic author
Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Update, he contacted me this morning. He sprayed everything with WD-40 last night. This morning the clutches released and its working as it should. Problem is not likely solved but it is working. I will be waiting on his call.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic