Ford Canada & Australia's 1927 Colours.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John Page
First Name: John
Last Name: Page
MTFCA Number: 28488
Board Member Since: 2010

Ford Canada & Australia's 1927 Colours.

Post by John Page » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:35 am

Recently I had the privilege of reading through a publication that celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the foundation of Ford Motor Company of Canada. Amongst a lot of interesting information I found the attached short article regarding Canadian paint colours.
Colour Laquer.jpeg
Colour Laquer.jpeg (75.97 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
Finding this prompted me to add some information on Australian Model T colours.

This is late 1927 here in Australia quite some time after production ceased in the USA.
Duo Tone.jpg
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article79516601

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Ford Canada & Australia's 1927 Colours.

Post by Humblej » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 am

That second article about an auto show in Oct 1927 is most likely about the new Ford Model A.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:17 pm

That first article may have typo on the date, 1925.

Ford began painting in the then new Pyroxylin in early July 1926.

IMG_5268.JPG
So if the rest is true, that means Windsor plant of Ford Canada was only a few weeks earlier. ;)
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
John Page

Post by John Page » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:28 pm

To Jeff & Dan,
Thank you both for your posts.
Firstly to answer Dan’s post. You could be correct with the timeline with the Canadian article. 1954 is somewhat removed from when the actual event occurred and information can get out of context. While it may look like I am a new-commer I have been a member of this Forum since 2010 ( over 1000 posts on the old Forum ) and I have a lot of respect for all you contribute. You postings are always backed up with good evidence.

In answer to Jeff's post that they might be Model A Fords. Australia were still producing Model Ts right up to at least December 1927, — probably even into early 1928. I have documented evidence that the last of the Closed Model T's were still being shipped to dealers in April 1928.

Unlike the USA who released the first Model A’s in December 1927, the first Model A's here were released in May 1928.

Attached is a December 1927 Monthly Statement from an Australian Ledger. The story of that Ledger can be found in the Vintage Ford magazine March - April 2020.
1927 12 December 1 copy 2.jpeg
I also have documented evidence that the Ford Plant in Brisbane were sill trying to offload Model T Closed Cars to dealers in 1928 May.

MAY 1928.
May 1928.jpg
June 1928.
June 6 1928.jpg
June 6 1928.jpg (54.37 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
“Courier” Officials Inspect New Ford Models at Eagle Farm Plant.
Last week, at the invitation of the Queensland branch manager, officials of the “Brisbane Courier” visited the Queensland branch plant of the Ford Motor Coy. of Australia- Ltd., to make an advance inspection of the much - discussed new Ford cars. This photograph, secured by the “Courier” staff photographer, was the first picture taken in Queensland of the new car.
From left to right: The elegant Ford “Tudor” Sedan, Messrs. H. E, Sisley (assistant branch manager, Ford Company), C. H. Briggs (general manager, “Courier”), Hardy Eustace (branch superintendent, Ford Company), G. V, Cornwell (Queensland branch manager, Ford Company), A. McDougall (advertising manager, “Courier”), Frank P. Jost (“Wayfarer”), and the ultra-smart Ford Sports Coupe. The new Ford forms the subject of a lengthy article on this page.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21287401

I hope this sheds a little bit more light on the differences between the USA produced cars and the Canadian — Australian Cars.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.
Attachments
First Model A Fords .jpg

Topic author
John Page

Post by John Page » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Here is the transcribed version of the December 1927 Australian Ledger. Best regards, John Page, Australia.

[attachment=0]( 30 ) December 1927.jpg
Attachments
( 30 ) December 1927.jpg

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:11 am

John,
You are on the money, Ford Canada obviously was ahead of Ford USA with the introduction of Lacquer on the Model T Ford.
on 13th May 1926 ( 2 months before the July 1926 Detroit introduction) ) Ford Australia announced that their factories were now complete and the Ford would be finished in Lacquer in three optional colors, Imperial Blue, Empire Grey, and sage Brush Green.

As Ford Canada was controlling the Australian operations it would be logical that the introduction of lacquer was part of the production of the Improved Ford by them. In a Ford salesman's booklet of the period it states "Bodies are given a lacquer finish which while considerably more expensive than former methods, gives a much more attractive and durable finish"
Here is a screen shot (Fingers crossed it is working) of the newspaper article announcing the new Ford details.
The left side clear print is the translation , the right side the actual print from the newspaper.
Attachments
1925 May Colours in lacquer.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic