Radiator noises

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ewalny
First Name: Eido
Last Name: Walny
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor
Board Member Since: 2016

Radiator noises

Post by Ewalny » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Last weekend I installed a new (old stock) radiator on my 27 Tudor. Install went well and I took the opportunity to upgrade a few parts on my fan as well. I also removed the water pump that someone had installed on my T and went back to the stock pipe system. Driving the car several times since then, I have noticed some noises coming from my radiator - I’d describe it as gurgling - when I shut down the engine after a drive. I’ve checked the coolant levels and they are good. The fan is turning as normal. The radiator is warm but engine temperature is good based on the thermostat on the radiator itself. But I’m not used to hearing gurgling from my radiator. Is this anything to be concerned about? Any idea what the issue could be? Any reason for concern?

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Re: Radiator noises

Post by Tiger Tim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 pm

That’s normal. The flow in the stock cooling system is based on temperature differences within it, when you shut your engine off it’s still hot so the coolant continues to flow.

Topic author
Ewalny
First Name: Eido
Last Name: Walny
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Ewalny » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:59 pm

Hm. Thanks Tim. That gives me pause about why I didn’t hear anything with the old radiator!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:49 am

Eido. You and I installed that radiator correctlyl No problems there. That gurgling sound is the sound of a contented radiator, when he has finished his run. He is letting you know he is happy,''

Next step is to finish setting up the muffler correctly with larger bolts.

Then we have to get you on areal tour and not just a parade. Life is to short, make hay when hay shines.....

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:32 am

Ewalny wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:59 pm
Hm. Thanks Tim. That gives me pause about why I didn’t hear anything with the old radiator!
Chances are it’s because you said you used to have a water pump. When the engine stops turning the pump does too and it likely impeded the flow enough to stop the gurgling.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic