Cycle Fenders

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Cycle Fenders

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:19 am

Looking to fabricate some cycle fender brackets for my speedster build. Was hoping to get some pictures of what others have done front & rear). I have two methods looking for others.
Attachments
FenderFront2.jpg
FenderFront2.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
454666.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Cycle Fenders

Post by Hap_Tucker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Steve,

From the photos you posted, it appears you have the Tulsa Site's article the late Fred Houston "Speedster Cycle Fenders" located on their website at "http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/speedster_fenders.htm

Fred and others that contributed to that article had spent some time and effort looking into how to make Cycle Fenders easier for the rest of us to obtain. I reread the article but I didn't see what I thought I had read there years ago. I thought they had said they reviewed the method the Mercury Speedsters used and determined that while it worked well it required several casting that would drive the price up. I may have just imagined that? I know that some castings for the Mercury style mounts were produced a while back. They did NOT include the fenders or tubing that would connect the fenders to the castings. If you want to see if any of those are still available I would recommend contacting Jarvis (all things Mercury at: modeltbug"at"aol.com see also e-mail address at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/41 ... 1412046727 as well as Mike Bender (his contact information is at: https://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#ok ) Mike had some of those reproduced and he may know where some might still be available?

See also the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1239764662 That shows the Mercury style fenders and brackets ready to install.

Below are photos that Mike Bender provided of the Mercury fenders mounted on a Mercury from the late "Speedy Bill's" collection:

Good luck with search. And please let us know what you come up with and how it works.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off
Attachments
IMG_0016_(Small).JPG
IMG_0015_(Small).JPG
IMG_0014_(Small).JPG
IMG_0013_(Small).JPG

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 am

Frank, I would be wary of mounting fenders in the manner shown which features a 26-7 T wire wheel. Strap iron lacks rigidity at the best of times. The long straight section of strap from mounting point to fender gives plenty of scope for movement. Also, each of those mounting straps is free to flex in any plane on those two 90 degree twists. While the spindle arm mounting is solid and the nut will take considerable tension, that is not the case at the top of the king pin bolt. Excessive tension here will put load on the kingpin bushes, making steering tight. Leaving the king pins loose enough to cope with required steering forces will mean a less than tight mounting for the fender.
I was more interested in the cast steel Corbin speedometer swivel used. If the speedo is Corbin too, that is one quality installation.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks for the responses and cautions. I've collected a couple of ideas and trying to see how various designs play out Frank
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic